PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Games

Akhilleus
05-26-2005, 09:53 AM
OK When I first started teaching seriously about a year or so ago I would have the kids play games at the end of classes a lot of the time...the kids really seemed to enjoy the games, but after a while I had done pretty much everything I could possibly think of...I was wondering if anyone has any fun ideas for games, particularly for kids...any safe martial arts game would be great, but I am especially open to ideas regarding grappling/wrestling games b/c kids love that stuff and they aren't really getting enough of that right now (we are a quasi-traditional kung fu school)...

Thanks to anyone who can contribute any ideas...and remember there are no bad ideas...I will post some of my own when I get back from work tonight...

and sometimes our classes get kinda big so I would like to do a game where they aren't standing around for too long in between turns...but then again, some of our classes aren't that big so again, any idea is welcome!

zenile
05-26-2005, 10:15 AM
I've seen both Freeze Tag and Nerf Soccer played with kiddos :D

MasterKiller
05-26-2005, 10:43 AM
We used to do this game where 2 kids stood on a wooden beam (6" X 6" X 72"). They would wrestle and try to throw each other off. To win, you had to unbalance/throw the other kid, but also stay on the beam. If your feet touch the floor, you're out.

PangQuan
05-26-2005, 11:11 AM
We often play "horse" with arial techniques in combinations

Example:

Student A: Butterfly kick, to front jump kick, to jumping inside cresent.

Student B: butterfly kick, to front jump kick, to OHHH he messed up and now has an "H"

its alot of fun and you get a good workout with a competitive air. good practice on technique also.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-26-2005, 12:28 PM
id just have them play sit quiet until your parents arrive or get punched in the teeth.

Vash
05-26-2005, 12:43 PM
id just have them play sit quiet until your parents arrive or get punched in the teeth.

GENIUS!

:mad: for the 10 character thing.

SevenStar
05-26-2005, 02:23 PM
When I was a kid, we did a few of the following:

steal the bacon - a belt with a big knot in the middle was tossed into a circle of kids. When the teacher called our numbers, we had to fight for the "bacon"

simon says - the same game, but he used MA techniques only.

I'll try to recall some others that we did, but those are fresh in my mind.

Akhilleus
05-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Wow thanx for the great ideas...please keep them coming...together we can get those creative juices flowing...

an idea I recently had: The kids start with those flags in there belts that we use for flag sparring...they have to crawl on their hands and knees to the other side of the mat without getting pinned by one of several instructors on the mat...if they get pinned they have to give a flag to an instructor...if they lose all their flags, they must stay in the center and pin other kids to get their flags...meanwhile kids can try to steal the flags out of the belts of the instructors...

Another one I used to do is line up a bunch of wavemasters and have the teams line up on either side and they try to use techniques to hit the bags over to the other teams side...I would have there be more bags than kids, so when one team saw a bag moving over to their side they would run over there and start hitting it...

I also have the kids in two teams and they have to do a technique across the school, where there is a pile of stuff (a heavy bag, two kicking shields, and a mat) and bring them to the other end of the class where they set them up, do dive rolls, and kick the bag after doing said dive rolls...the first team to knock the bag to the wall wins...

Akhilleus
05-26-2005, 09:16 PM

In all seriousness, a great drill for the minds of kids is to have them line up and stand at attention...if they move, other than blinking and breathing, they are out...meanwhile the instructors try to distract them or make them laugh...I think of it as meditation for kids...

brothernumber9
05-27-2005, 05:24 AM
"In all seriousness, a great drill for the minds of kids is to have them line up and stand at attention...if they move, other than blinking and breathing, they are out...meanwhile the instructors try to distract them or make them laugh...I think of it as meditation for kids"

during one of our annual parties, I was in charge of putting activities together for the kids. After several games I was worn out so I had them all play "statue". I told them they all had to hold a pose and stay still, they could do anything they wanted, even sit or lay on the floor, but they could not move. If they moved then they were out. They all froze still (of course there were several that would try to move when you weren't looking), during which time I went and got myself a plate of food and a drink and chilled