PDA

View Full Version : Trapping, Chi-Sau and real life!

WT-Man
08-27-2000, 12:17 PM
As I understand it, Chi-Sau is just a method to build sensitivity to energy, so that one can learn how to use another's energy to his advantage. Chi-Sau also works on timing and reflexes. In a real fight, I'm much more inclined to step off the attacker's centerline (moving to the outside gate), while still keeping mine towards him. By applying this footwork, I have the advantage of going straight into chain punches,low line kicks or applying a strong pak-sau to his striking hand or shoulder, thereby "technically" trapping him. If he has the chance to come in with a second hand or foot, then this is where sensitivity to energy becomes important, in that I want to move WITH my opponent's energy, rather that trying to use force against force. As far as trapping is concerned, I would never go into a fight with the intention of trapping. If the opportunity presents itself--great! Wing Chun has many other "tools" to bring to a fight than just trapping!! I'll get off my soapbox now--can I get an "AMEN"??

Mark
08-27-2000, 05:48 PM
Hey man,
As far as I know trapping is only used if the other "tools" dont work.
I dont know that much on the subject, but you should never go into the situation with the intent of trapping! Its only an emergency tool.
Evan if I never need to use Chi sau or various traps in a fight I dont mind!
Chi sau is so FUN!

WSLfan
08-27-2000, 06:13 PM
Chi-Sau is a tool for when one or both your hands/arms are engaged or stuck it gives you the reflexs to deal with it without having to think, as well a many other things.

benny
08-30-2000, 07:49 AM
i agree. you dont have to attack the centre as long as you are facing their centre.
ive never got to use a trap in a fight yet.(not that i can remember anyway)
see ya