PDA

View Full Version : BK Frantzis style Chi Gung and Tai Ji

Rockwood
05-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

My good buddy and training partner Isaac Kamins is going to be teaching an introduction to BK Frantzis's chi gung and tai ji in Petaluma, CA next month.

For those who are curious about Kumar's teachings, this would be something you'd like. Isaac has studied for over a decade with him, and specializes in the "hand to hand" aspects of the style. He is also highly experienced in the Xing Yi and Ba Gua taught by Frantzis.

Isaac is a really good guy and knows his stuff. He doesn't have a problem with demonstrating, either the very tangible, useful aspects of chi gung, or the very practical fighting skills that he's developed from Kumar's martial arts.

Many people have read Kumar's "Power of Internal Martial Arts". It's a pretty good book. If you want to experience Kumar's stuff first hand, Isaac is a really good guy to see about it. He's a perfect fit for what many who frequent EmptyFlower are interested in learning. His website is: www.watertradition.net

Applications will be taught throughout. :)

-Jess O

Here's the details:

A Tai Chi & Chi Gung Workshop

Heaven and Earth

The Marriage of Heaven and Earth is a powerful chi gung exercise that uses relatively simple movements to work on increasing the elasticity of the body and the strength and flexibility of the joints.

This core exercise contains many of the principles of Tai Chi Chuan and yet can be done by people of all levels of ability, and can even be done sitting.

This workshop will primarily focus on the physical movements and the "opening and closing" of the joints.

Marriage of Heaven and Earth is a ideal introduction to "internal" arts and a great addition to any workout.

Tai Chi Fundamentals

Open to practitioners of all styles, this workshop will present core principles of Tai Chi Chuan using the first section of the Wu Style. Some of the principles covered will be: basic body alignments, waist turning, and "one part moves, all parts move." A great chance for Tai Chi "players" to refine their practice or for beginners to see if Tai Chi is right for them.

Saturday & Sunday, June 18,19 1-6 p.m.
Cost: $75 One day, $125 Both days

To register or for questions call JT Bymaster at 707-338-2284

Isaac Kamins has been a practitioner of Chinese Internal Arts (Tai Chi Chuan, Ba Gua Zhang amd Hsing I Chuan), Chi Gung, and Taoist meditation for over 13 years. He is a certified instructor of the Wu Sytle Tai Chi by Master
B.K. Frantzis and teaches classes in the San Francisco Bay Area.

BodyWorks
Integrative Yoga and Stress Management Center
490 SECOND ST., PETALUMA • 707-769-9933
www.bodyworksyoga.com

Repulsive Monkey
06-01-2005, 09:26 AM
I appreciate what you're saying but I have noticed some of Kumar's senior students (well one of them) taught the Marriage of Heaven and Earth quite poorly. I just hope what your friend teaches is different to what I was taught.
The senior student that I studied with a bit was a 10 Year+ student of Kumar's and I found him to be appalling in the material he taught, and his poor communication skills.

Kumar's book looks very good on an initial reading and does contain some useful and interesting info, but I still can't respect him for being flexible with the truth concerning events he failed to recall with some of his masters.

In short you can see where I coming from, namely I don't rate Kumar at all.

Rockwood
06-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Cool man.

Kumar taught a lot of people, and frankly, a lot of people suck. This kind of stuff takes a lot of time and effort to get good at, and a lot of people want to be teachers who don't have what it takes. This is actually true of a lot of CMA schools, unfortunately. A certificate is NOT enough to claim much, as far as I'm concerned. I only study with people who can beat me very convincingly without leaving permanent damage. I've found that's the best way to seperate BS teachers from the vast majority who won't cross hands.

There are exceptions to the average, and Isaac is one of them. He has a great love of "applying" the internal martial arts. Anyone who is interested in that aspect will have a lot of fun working with him.

As far as Kumar, if you went, tried him out, and didn't like what you saw, more power to ya.

His teachings are different from many others, and won't appeal to everyone.

And yes, there are a lot of "untold stories" related to his books. Probably best for them to stay that way! :)

-Jess O

Ray Pina
06-01-2005, 01:24 PM
What's up Jess? Long time no see.

You know, my teacher always speaks highly of "Kuma" .... says he can fight. Also says his Chinese is better than his ;)

Anyway, hope all is well. I have your book -- autographed, thank you very much -- on my trophy case. It has become a prizes possession of mine.

Ray

PS
Boy do I have some interesting footage for you. Been fighting NHB, kind of underground, for about two or three months now. Think of the stuff we were doing in class that night but with no gear and for real. Makes for some short clips. :D

Be well my friend.

Rockwood
06-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi Ray!

Glad to see you're still at it in NY. Glad also to hear your quest to "try out" other styles is going well. There's a lot to learn out there, and a lot to learn about one's self along the way. I think the key is to keep working with people of different and similar arts. Once you think you're the best you get bored. Look at your teacher, the guy just never quit learning and he seems to be having more fun than ever!

Next time I'm out your way, let's check out those clips!! Sounds like good stuff...

Funny that Kumar came through Mr. Chan's at one point. He's another guy that really put in the time, energy and Money to persuade people to teach him stuff. Personally, I just go look for the people who already did all the travelling, researching, testing and fighting. Then I pay them to teach me!! :) Saves me a lot on plane fare...

Talk to ya later,

Jess O

Ray Pina
06-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Yea, I guess we're kind of lucky like that. Being able to train with folks who did all the searching and condensed all this material for us.

Give a holla when you're coming back out east.
Ray