PDA

View Full Version : Classical?

PangQuan
05-26-2005, 03:41 PM
So I do not study JKD at any club, school, or gym. I have been studying the Tao of Jeet Kune Do for longer than I have studied anything else.

One of the aspects that bothers me is this; for all that bruce has said about classical studies, such as the limitation to set patterns of movements, and constricted possibilities, there is an aspect that seems to not recieve enough stressing.

It is touched on several times by bruce but never stressed enough. It seems to me that he had, in achieving the JKD, lost sight of the path that led him there.

The "classical mess" is the complete understanding of the form needed to achieve formlessness. Why is it that Bruce did not often stress the strong foundation of style in order to reach the point of understanding universal movement?

Its obvious to me that without his classical training he never would have come to the conclusions that he did. It seems to me that he does not stress this enough with his own words. I dare not say he forgot his roots. But....

I have not had the oportunity to compare thoughts about JKD with anyone in the past, nor have I ever wanted to, my JKD is mine and mine alone. But this has been on my mind for a while and I decided to post this to see some other peoples opinions on this subject.

Aikia
05-26-2005, 04:23 PM
You are correct. You must first have a classical art before you can reject the classical mess. Having no form and having no-form is the difference. A beginner has no form. The beginner has what we would better describe as "poor" form. Lack of organized skill marks the beginner. The master has no-form. He can easliy move from technique to technique, art to art or be no art because his mastery of skill is not limited to only one representation of a technique. Classical martial art is relying only on one way ( we beleive it to be the best way)to perform a technique. It is easy to grade a kata because all performances are to be graded or compared to the best way. JKD is using no (single) way as the (only) way. In JKD effeciency is anything that scores. In classical art we strive for beauty and exellence. Combat is not pretty. JKD is unlike calssical art in that it need not be pretty, only effecient.
To be JKD first learn proper form. Learn the proper way to jab, hook, kick etc. When you have mastered one way to do the kick/punch be open to other ways to perform the same king/punch. Make each punch/kick your very own performance. You are free to punch or kick etc any way you want ( based on what works). At his stage you have rejected the classical per"form"ance in favor of your own masterful form. Not talking about katas or styles, just individual techniques. When you have acquired much skill and ability and you are no ( particular) style you are JKD.... the style/way of no (particular) style/way.

bonetone
05-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Lee also says something along the lines of learn the rules, adhere to the rules, dissolve the rules and return to original freedom. Its not like he didn't try to give some of his students a good foundation. It would seem he even promoted a stronger foundation than the so called classical styles by teaching to master the basics.

curtis
05-27-2005, 02:26 AM
Hello guys

I don't argue the point. But your also need to remember that the Book of Jeet Kwoon Do was just a bunch of Bruce's personal notes.

As I see it," the classical mess". was more the strict ways of teaching and learning the martial arts. I believe the goal was to find your own personal way,To transcend beyond, or make the teachings your own, natural Art.

I think Bruce could see each person and really look into there way of fighting, by doing this he would show the person a few things to allow them to grow, then they could move on.
This method works not because the person training knows, It works because he (the student) doesn't know the classical mess.
Bruce knew it and saw each persons potential. They (the student) could learn quicker and develop a good natural way.

I don't think Bruce wanted his students to learn the classical mess, I believe he wanted them to learn from it.

Just something to think about.