PDA

View Full Version : Dummies

Iron_Monkey
08-27-2000, 04:00 PM
Okay this has two parts....

1) I have seen a few dummies, and they don't seem like they would hard to make. I have a large shop with everything I would need to make one if I had some decent plans. Is this reccommended? Why or why not? $700 seems a bit steep for a log with sticks in it.

2)I am interested in learning some sets for the dummy. I study longfist, but I think it would help with speed and such, besides looking really super cool. Can I learn them from a book or do I need to go to a school? If I went to a school, would I have to start taking WC in order to learn the sets? I am worried that actually starting the whole style would mess with my longfist a little, as I am a beginner. Thanks......

WSLfan
08-27-2000, 06:30 PM
Have a look at the on at Http://www.wongshunleung.com/download.html
Haven't checked the measurements aganist the one a our school.
Can't help you with the sets don't know them and will not get to start to learn it of 2 or 3 years.

Tekarius
08-28-2000, 09:35 AM
I would suggest you buy a video which costs 50$ or so or rent one.

Sihing73
08-28-2000, 09:47 PM
Hello Iron_Monkey,

As to plans for building your own dummy I will place some links at the end of this post. Making your own dummy can be very rewarding and give you years of pleasure along with a sense of accomplishment. My woodworking skills are such that, were I to attempt to build my own dummy I would doubtless end my MA career /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I did once build one when I was 15 or so but the end product would win no prizes and was hardly in line with any specs'.

As to videos I would suggest the following:
Chung Kwok Chow has a two tape series out on the wooden dummy. Some day I am going to get him to pay me for endorsing his products /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But hey, I like the detail and explanation he gives. I have not yet seen his dummy videos but based on his past videos I would expect them to be very informative and good.

You could also obtain the Wooden Dummy tape put out by Rick Spain. This is a little different than some other si have seen but it provides a variety of angles and shows the moves with and without a dummy.

There are other tape syou can buy, Randy Williams has some out on the dummy plus a two tape series on dummy exercises as well.

Here are the links to the dummy plans:
/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Sorry the link to WingChun.Org seems to be down right now. But if and when it comes back up they have a nice set of plans for the dummy online.

Peace,

Dave

Iron_Monkey
08-29-2000, 03:46 AM
Thanks guys.....Where would I be able to purchase these videos? I have just about everything except a planer in the shop. My woodworking skills are so-so, but my Dad is the man as far as that goes, so I will probably enlist him......

rjoffs
08-29-2000, 05:48 AM
Aloha,

I have a couple words of caution when trying to learn the Mook Yan Jong from a video or book. you will pickup several bad habits that only a qualified instructor will catch and correct. You first have to know how to use the center line and if you haven't learned how to attack the core. You will develope a certian habbit I have seen many times where the energy used for the attacks is not into the core of the opponent but into the arms of the dummy. the dummy makes it feel effective but in reality it is useless there are other problems with learning without an instructor but that's all I have time for now.

Iron_Monkey
09-02-2000, 01:31 PM
rjoffs-

I would like to learn the sets, but I don't want to go through thr whole wing chun system to get there. This is more personal interest. But I want to make sure I am doing it right. This is in no way meant to be disrespectful or looking for a shortcut. I think WC is an awesome style, and is even cooler to watch. I am guessing if I went into a school and asked to be taught that, they would laugh me out. I do want to start training in WC eventually, but I want to become proficient in my current style first........

WT Lawyer
09-06-2000, 08:52 PM
I believe you should always find a qualified instructor when learning any portion of a particular martial art. Bad habits and poor technique are just too hard to see in yourself.

Most Wing Chun instructors will want to pace your learning of forms to match your mastery of techniques. WT is such a streamiled system that you could learn the three hand sets and the wooden dummy form in about a month if you were really dedicated. You might then "know the system" but you could never apply the techniques because WT requires highly developed sensitivity and reflexes.

It is this aspect of training that makes WT effective. Without the sensitivity and reflexes that are only developed through years of sticky hand training, your knowledge of the wooden dummy movements will be of little benefit to you.

ghoyd
09-11-2000, 09:31 AM
Here are detailed plans for a dummy.
http://www.wingchun.org/read/dummy.html

------------------
Gary Hoyd
http://www.geocities.com/ghoyd/
MIDWESTERN JUN FAN FIGHTING ALLIANCE

Hing
09-12-2000, 01:47 AM
Dear Iron Monkey
Why not make your own ''sets'' up?
How do you think the original ''sets'' were done. What is your opinion on what the dummy is for? In your style do you not do anything to develop the same excercise?
Respect
Hing

Iron_Monkey
09-18-2000, 07:29 AM
WT Lawyer-
Yeah I guess that makes sense. Like I said I do want to learn the system, but I think if I try to learn two systems so different from eachother at one time, I will mess both of them up..............

Hing-
I honestly couldn't tell you. The only thing I know about the dummy stuff is what I have seen while observing a class and from movies. I just thought it looked cool, especially when done really fast, though WT Lawyer is probably right in saying that even if I learned them, I wouldn't have the mechanics down, which would make them useless for anything other than show....

ghoyd-
Thanks homie.......

Highlander
09-18-2000, 04:34 PM
Iron Monkey,

I agree with Hing. Instead of learning a Wing Chun set, learn the purpose of the dummy and use it to enhance your current style. Much of what you see in the movies, especially the really fast stuff, are drills that people have made up and not the form. Quite often when my Sifu will show us something he will also show us how to practice it on the dummy. Anyway, the dummy developes may things, but the ones to start with are:

1) Single man timing - Check that your hand techniques and foot techniques are in sync and beginning and ending at the proper time.

2) Angle of attack - ensuring that your energy is always directed towards your opponent as you move around him and change your angle. And that you maintain your balance and don't let your energy rise.

3) Distancing - (this is one of my personal favorites for a beginner) It totally amazed me when I started how two inches too close or two inches too far could change the mechanics and make the difference between something working or not.

There are other things that can be developed such as sticking, keeping the elbow down, etc. but these things pertain more to Wing Chun where the above things are more generic and can be adapted to any style.

Good Luck and have Fun. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Iron_Monkey
09-20-2000, 07:23 AM
Okay, I get what you're saying. Its funny, we have a dummy in the kwoon but I have NEVER seen anyone use it, not even sifu. So I guess I will have to adapt my style to fit the dummy, though I fear I am too much of a beginner at this to make anything practical...I dunno....I always thought dummies were for WC. It doesn't look like with their stubby arms that they would be good for longfist........