PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin - Henan, Fujian, and the Shadow

mantis108
05-27-2005, 11:54 AM
ABBOTT FUJU

Fuju is listed in modern Shaolin history as the abbot at Shaolin around 961 A.D.
Supposedly he invited 18 masters to Shaolin to teach MA. The so called Shaolin authentics is a record of what was taught and who taught it.

Fuju (Fortune plentiful) was a real person lived around 1242 CE (in his middle age) to 1275 CE. He was appointed by the Yuan dynasty imperial court to head the Buddhist organization using Shaolin temple in Henan as a base or the head office. During that time, he had quite a few contributions including developing a lineage chart for the monk order in Shaolin tradition. This act is recognized in the following dynasties especailly in Ming dynasty (1300s CE) when Zhu Yuanchang took over. There were very straight restrictions concerning the monk order. This is what most researchers tend to forget. Fuju also established 5 more Shaolin Temples around the country. The Fujian Shaolin (in Chuan Zhou) was build during the Tong dynasty (870s CE). So after 1275 CE there are 7 Shaolin temples altgether.

This is significant because this set the stage for people borrowing a household name years later.

So according to this, Wang Lang's Mantis is not a combination of 18 styles, but one of the styles only.
And it is apparent that "style" is more in the line of some principles of fighting as opposed to what we, in this era, call a style.

I agreed

It has been reported that the masters were invited to Shaolin(by a respected fellow at shaolin section) for the purpose of teaching monks MA so that they could take back some of the Bhuddist temples that had been over run by brigands, or taoists maybe.

This again could be borrowed from what happen to Henan Shaolin during Yuan dynasty. This might have been inspired by the legend of Jue Yuan who's also credited to have reorganized 18 Luohan Hands (supposedly handed down from Bodhidharma) into the 5 animal forms, etc... BTW Fuju as mentioned above was the one in charged of taking back all the Buddhist temple from the Daoist counter part.

I don't know of any solid proof of anything for this story as of yet, though it may exist and just needs to be gathered together. This is part of the research I am doing at this time.

Look forward for what you can discover in the future. :)

COMPARING 18

The Shaolin version of 18 families is not the same as the Mantis version but close enough.

We need to see physical evidences (ie forms)

In the Shaolin version Wang Lang is #17 and he overcomes the enemy, while in the Mantis version he overcomes all.
Notice the dif?

I concurred.

TRUE??

The story may actually be true as unlikely as it seems.
If true it happens just before the start of the Song dynasty.

Not too likely as records between 728 CE to 1242 CE about Shaolin are not available... but I am open to further examination.

The 2 figures in 18 family are in Water Margin novel this is true, but there is some arguement that the 1st 36 figures(or less) in that book are actual people.
And there is a lot to say about the star of the book, Sung Jiang, who had a lot written on his real world exploits.

Water Margin is based on the tales of Song dynasty Xuanhe reign (1119-1125CE). An rebellion took place in Shandong during that period. So the people in the story (if they were really people) would have lived during that time. Again this does not support 960s or early date.

FALSE??

On the other hand, it is more likely(sniff-sniff-wipes tears) that it is a recent addition. And there is a lot of evidence for that.
I suspect, and am also looking for proof, that 18 families is from a MA novel of some ancient time.

It is entirely possible that this is so.

NOVEL OF ZHAO

I have recently found a novel, of Zhao Kuangying as heroic fighter before he became emperor of the Song. This is somewhat well known in Chinese, but I don't think it has been translated into English.

I won't be surprised. ;)

The Historian Ma Mingda went to some length to argue the POSSIBILITY that Taizu Chuen and the history of longfist itself is entirely based on this MA novel.
This can't be discounted in researching the history of these MA styles that they all really started from ancient comic books.

Could you share this article?

ASSIGNMENT

Before more solid opinions can be formed it is important to continue with research.

1. read all pre republic MA novels and see if any of the 18 family members are there.

2. Is there an imperial edict from the emperor granting rights to Shaolin monks to re acquire their lands just before the Song dynasty?

3. Hantong is written about in history of the Song-official version. Lets get the exact quotes out.

4. Write the exact historical evidence for Lin Chong and Yen Ching to see the probability of them having really existed and when.

5. etc...

Great suggestions! Thanks, Kevin

Warmest regards

Mantis108

mantis108
05-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Fu Yu (Fortune Plentiful) was the one who was a real person lived around Yuan dynasty.

Fu Ju (Fortune Resides) this could be a fictional person based on Fu Yu. The word Ju could have been a Shandong dialectic variation of Yu (need to verify this).

Sorry about the typo.

Mantis108

K.Brazier
05-28-2005, 03:49 AM
Where do you get the Fuyu info of the Yuan?
My date for Fuju is somewhat solid being in the somewhat official Modern Shaolin history. Maybe not a solid fact, but a place to start.

mantis108
05-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Here're some info in Chinese text that I found on a Chinese MA forum concerning Fu Yu. The dates and deeds are pretty clear.

稱制元年(1242年) 曹洞宗宗師万松派遣大弟子福裕住持少林寺。
稱制四年(1245年) 福裕受忽必烈之命,在少林寺作資戒大會。
定宗三年(1218年) 福裕為都僧省總統,收回佛寺237處。
憲宗八年(1258年) 忽必烈在哈喇和林主持舉行佛、道大辯論。福裕為首僧代表佛
教界參与辯論,道士敗。
中統元年(1260年) 福裕榮膺“光宗正法大禪師”,任大都大万壽寺住持,計十四
年。其間分建和林、燕薊、長安、太原、洛陽五少林。
至元十二年(1275年) 福裕圓寂,刊有《雪庭和尚語錄》行世。
皇慶元年(1312年) 謚福裕為晉國公。

Also I found an article by a KFM member r(Shaolin) that mostly matches this. But it tells of the 18 family gathering that is not listed in the Chinese text so there are certain descrapencies.

<<<r(Shaolin) wrote:

It is a point that touchs on our collective Songshan Shaolin history and a series of events that go back to the dying days of the northern Song Dynasty. It begins with the Jurchens and their 120 year 'alien' rule over the north parts which included the areas where Shaolin Si stood and following by the Mongolian conquest that swept from the north pushing the Jin out of the region. These conquests created great havoc not only in the population at large but in the monastic world.
It is important to point out that a large number of monasteries in the north were either destroyed or abandoned. The Mongol invasion was a time of great tribulation. There were even proposals by some Mongol leaders to turn northern China into a great pasture land by killing every single Chinese person in the regions. It would have been the greatest slaughter of human beings in the history man. This did not happen largely because of a few Chinese Buddhist leaders that held sway over the Mongol court.
Of these giants among men, the greatest was a Chan monk by the name of Hai-yun.
A number of Taoist monks were involved in this great work of defending the
and saving the population as well. The most notable was Qui Chuji (aka. Ch'ang-ch'un chen-jen).
At that time he was the patriarch of Quanzhen sect of Taoism. Early in the Mongol campaign into Central Asia, Qui Chuji befriended Genghis Khan and subsequently was appointed as administrator of all religious communities including the Buddhist ones. He further gave Qiu Chuji an edict exempting all clergy in China from taxes and labor service obligations. Armed with this power, the Taoists immediately began leveraging their position to take over Buddhist monasteries which had been neglected because of the many military campaigns and even more boldly forcefully, seizing temples and monastery that were occupied.
The Chan monk Hai-yun had become very influential with the Mongolian military government as well and eventually was appointed superintendent of Buddhist Affairs in north China. Earlier on Hai-yun recommended Fu-yu being appointed Abbot (Fang-chang) of Shaolin Si. At his recommendation Fu-yu was appointed to lead the Buddhists in denouncing Taoist appropriation of Buddhist monasteries as well as other misrepresentations in front of the Mongol military governor. After arguments from both sides, Kublai Kan declared the Buddhist as winners and ordered that all seized property be returned. It was under the directions of Fang-chang, Venerable Fu-yu and Shaolin monks had the onerous task of taking these temples back. It appears that the training and development of a defensive force was the direct result of these events as there was a great resistance on the part of the Taoists to comply. Buddhist historical records document this debate with the Taoists but not the Buddhist defensive martial initiative under his direction. That comes to us from marital traditions of various Shaolin Lohan lineages. But they do make sense and are relatively consistent.
To summarize what Fu-yu did, was to invite 18 martial experts over a 9 year period, each staying for a three year period to train Shaolin monks and record martial methods, creating a defensive system at Songshan Shaolin Si - the 'muscle' so to speak, to accomplish the task of rebuilding Buddhism in the Mongol territories. . The result was that there was a great depository of highly effective martial methods at Shaolin Si but not necessarily a coherent system.....>>>

I have also see a similar timeline on one of the Chinese Shaolin temple site but I have lost the URL. I don't think the 18 family gathering was on there neither. So...

Warmest regards

Robert

Laviathan
05-29-2005, 09:24 AM
ASSIGNMENT

1. read all pre republic MA novels and see if any of the 18 family members are there.

3. Hantong is written about in history of the Song-official version. Lets get the exact quotes out.

For as far as I know, Zheng En is a fictional figure. In novels and opera plays like "Slashing the Yellow Robe", Zheng En is portrayed as a general working for Emperor Zhao Kuangyin. But in history, there was no such a person.

Regards,

René

K.Brazier
06-03-2005, 03:43 AM
L,
Could you please provide the characters of that book name in Chinese?
I will go find it.
Has it been translated into English to your Knowledge?

Do you know the dynasty in which it 1st appeared?

K.Brazier
06-03-2005, 03:50 AM
Here is the origianl sources of Fuju.
This material is directly from Shaolin.
They list the name and dates as I have mentioned above.

So the name is different.
This Shaolin book says Fuju, while your info says Fuyu.

This info says beginning of Song, yours is about 250 years later.

I admit, my source is less than perfect. But the name, Fuku that I use matches the Wang Yifu manuscript.

The information you have provided on the other hand has no source listed.

Such Researchers(won't list names unless you need them) nowhere mention either Fuyu or Fuju.
Nor any story of this kind which you quote from R. Shaolin( which seems to be an enlargement of the Chinese you have posted).

So what is the source of this Fuyu story that no historian has been able to find?

mantis108
06-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Personally, any material coming out the Mainland these days has to be taken with a grain of salt. I think I have shown you a book that claims to be Taiji Mantis but it is in fact a hoax that used Southern praying mantis' history and mixed with kick boxing techniques and some weir weaponry. Henan Shaolin today is in my mind no more than a Wushu Disneyland. It could be the Holy land for modern Wushu but other than that it would be hard for me to believe it actually have any real TCMA.

This book was first printed in May 2001, I believe that Mainland Seven star was introduced, or reintroduced for that matter, to the Henan Shaolin back in 1980s? Now, who is to say this "Shaolin historian" didn't get his "facts" from the Shaolin Yibol Zhen Chuan (Shaolin Authentics) of Shandong Tanglang? Or he came across the Wang Yifu article (1934 CE). I also have heard that there are other versions of the Shaolin Authentics. Even Shengxiao claimed that his student took his "original" copy when he was in what is modern day Shenyang (sp?) city in the Northeasten province.

I am sure we can verify Fuyu's deed through Yuan dynastic historic documents. It's a matter of putting time on it. Fuju on the other hand is more or less a matter of martial tradition. It's like a rumor that you heard over and over that will become true eventually. So we have to beware of such thing as well. Presonally, there is nothing the Henan Shaolin temple won't do to keep the tourist dollar going there these days. So... :(

Warmest regards

Robert

Laviathan
06-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Dear Mr. Brazier,

L,
Could you please provide the characters of that book name in Chinese?

The opera play is called Zhan Huang Pao 《斩黄袍》and is based on the classic novels "Legend of the Flying Dragon" 《飞龙传》and "Emperor Zhao's Three Attacks on Southern Tang"《赵太祖三下南唐》.

The story: Zheng En was a martial arts master and bodyguard of Zhao Kuangyin. After Zhao became emperor, he made Zheng En prince of Beiping. But one day, Zhao got offended by Zheng and had him executed. Zheng's wife, Tao Sanchun, then rebelled against the Song government and besieged the capital with her troops. Zhao then begged forgiveness from Tao. Tao Sanchun, realising that without Zhao Kuangyin the empire would fall apart, slashed the imperial yellow robe with her sword as a token of vengeance.

Has it been translated into English to your Knowledge?

I have no idea, sorry.

Do you know the dynasty in which it 1st appeared?

The "Emperor Zhao's Three Attacks on Southern Tang"novel was written during the Qing dynasty.

Also, in the Song History, there's a mention of Zheng En, a regional commander at the beginning of the Southern Song dynasty.

Hope this helps,

René

K.Brazier
06-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Rene',

So,
First came "Legend of the Flying Dragon(Fei??)"
and
"Emperor Zhao's Three..."
Which was written during the Ching dynasty.

Later, an opera was written based on these 2 stories called, "Zhan Huang Pao"

So only the "legend of the FLying Dragon" may possibly come before the Ching.

Zhen En is written of in Song Shi as a true character.
You wouldn't happen to have that original info handy would you?

Kevin

K.Brazier
06-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi Robert,
The book to start with would be Yuan Shi.
But if the info was the original source why duidn't the author quote his source?
OK don't answer, we will have to look it up.

Laviathan
06-05-2005, 02:28 AM
So, First came "Legend of the Flying Dragon(Fei??)"
and
"Emperor Zhao's Three..."
Which was written during the Ching dynasty.
Later, an opera was written based on these 2 stories called, "Zhan Huang Pao"

So only the "legend of the FLying Dragon" may possibly come before the Ching.

In my sources, it is not stated when exactly these novels were written, only that they are "Ming & Qing Dynasty Novels". The Zhao Taizu Sanxia Nantang was first printed in the early 19th century, so I assume it was written during the Qing, not before. I don't know when the Feilongzhuan was written.

Zhen En is written of in Song Shi as a true character.
You wouldn't happen to have that original info handy would you?

The name Zheng En is only mentioned once in the Songshi. In the biography of Emperor Gaozong of the Southern Song dynasty is written:

建炎四年三月... 金人犯终南县,经略使郑恩战败,死之。

"Jianyan Reign, 4th year, 3rd month... Jurchen troops attacked the Zhongnan County, regional commander Zheng En was defeated and died."

Please note that the fictional Zheng En is described as a general living during the beginning of the Song Dynasty (around 960), while Zheng En the regional commander died in the 4th year of the Jianyan Reign (1130 AD).

Hope this helps,

René

K.Brazier
06-05-2005, 05:56 AM
Thanks Rene'.
Hope to put this info to good use.

Kevin

Laviathan
06-05-2005, 08:04 AM
To Brazier Laoshi:

You're welcome. :)

Regards,

René

mantis108
06-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks, Rene for the info. It's really interesting about Zheng En. Curious enough the time period is so closed to the Xuanhe rebellion (1121 - 1123 CE ?) . So now we have possibly three "fictional" characters in the 18 family sonnet. umm.... the plot thickens

Warm regards

Robert

Laviathan
06-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Dear Mr Hui,

You're welcome, no problem at all. :)

With the Xuanhe Rebellion you mean the revolt of Fang La as described in Water Margin?

For as far as I know, only two persons from the 18 family sonnet are historical figures: Han Tong and Huaide (Gao Huaide).

Han Tong was said to have arms which can suddenly grow longer during fights. He was a general guarding the gates of Mulingguan before serving under Zhao Kuangyin. Interestingly, the area he guarded lies in present-day Shandong Province.

Gao Huaide was a famous Northern Song general and also the brother-in-law of Emperor Zhao Kuangyin.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,

René

mantis108
06-05-2005, 02:51 PM
First name basis is fine by me, my friend. :)

Thanks for more interesting info. I think Chang Dali article made reference to the Mulingguan as well. Good work on finding these stuff. Perhaps, we could get your impression on the 18 family sonnet as well?

I should try to get a hold of the novel that you mentioned.

Warm regards

Robert