PDA

View Full Version : Reality Show: The Contender

fiercest tiger
05-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Is anyone following the Contender Show? I have been following it and i am really enjoying each episode as well SLY and Sugar Ray are doing a great job.

I would like to see more training sessions and the fights to be longer as they cut the fight up and show just the best parts.

Anyone care to add what you think and like or dislike about it?

FT:)

rogue
05-27-2005, 07:16 PM
I liked it and my son really was into it. It was a little too slick but that's to be expected being on a major network. My favorite "fight" reality show is still Tough Enough. I think they spent more time on the training than any of the other shows.

Liokault
05-29-2005, 07:32 AM
Its a bit dumbed down, and Sly WAS NOT A BOXER!!! Whats he doing there? Hes a poor actor who once played a fantasy boxer and has a speach impediment!

Stranger
05-29-2005, 07:49 AM
SLY not only played a fantasy boxer, he wrote and directed the first Rocky, which he received one or two Oscars for. The first movie was good.

Liokault
05-29-2005, 08:08 AM
So how does that give him the same standing in the boxing world as Sugar Ray?

One way or another, the show is trying to pass him off as Rocky.

Stranger
05-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Rocky= an unknown contender given a shot through an unconventional selection process

Contender= the same thing

Most people could not recognize any boxers other than Ali or Tyson. In order to succeed in the ratings war, this show has to do better than boxing typically does on network TV. In order to bring in casual fight fans, the drama of the Rocky character adds to the entertainment. If you want boxing without the Rocky story overlay, just watch boxing, where fighters work their way up the ranks in a more conventional manner.

Liokault
05-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Watching boxing would just be watching boxing.

What makes this show interesting is the behind the curtain look at how they cope and interact emotionaly to fighting in general and fighting "friends" specificaly.

I still feel that trying to pass Sly off as rocky is cheap. I also feel that standing him next to Ray is a bit of an insult.

Stranger
05-29-2005, 08:58 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe that the show was Stalone's from the get go. Sugar Ray was an add on and not the first choice for the slot. Sugar Ray is getting a big paycheck for being there, and if he felt insulted I'm sure he is man enough to leave on his own.

I thin it would be cheesey if Stalone was trying to pass on fighting tips to the young boxers a la his role of Rocky the manager in "Rocky V". I try to look at it that Stalone can generate money and celebrity heat for the show, and that is the name of the game.

Liokault
05-29-2005, 11:17 AM
To be honest, I just kind of filter out all the periferal crap and just watch what the fighters are going through.

The hight light so far was the guy who had to drop 1/2 a pound in 3 hours (having already droped quite intensively). I thaught the psychology around that was great: Did his oponent fear him, is that why he insisted he drop the weight, or was he just taking every edge?

Thats the kind of stuff I like.

Stranger
05-29-2005, 02:20 PM
The hight light so far was the guy who had to drop 1/2 a pound in 3 hours (having already droped quite intensively). I thaught the psychology around that was great: Did his oponent fear him, is that why he insisted he drop the weight, or was he just taking every edge?

Agreed, that's the part I liked too. Stalone is for the masses. In fact, that is the only episode that I ever watched. I found it interesting that "Super Dad" was smart in the choice of forcing the weight issue but then stupid in the manner he conducted the fight by risking so much at the end.

SevenStar
05-30-2005, 08:05 AM
I pretty much agree with stranger. Also, I think it's to prime everyone for the next movie - rocky vi is being filmed. Also, back in march, stallone released the first issue of his men's wellness magazine, "Sly"

lada
05-30-2005, 10:19 AM
The show was good at first because it was true to it's intent. A reality show for boxers.

Then it started to pick up in the ratings is what I think. In the beginning they showed challenges and training. Later on it was all commercials and personal stuff. Their families, who was mad at who, personal troubles blah blah blah. Like a soap opera.

I was really amazed how some fights turned out. I still can't believe that Jesse lost. With all the rigged shows these days, I wondered if the producers thought it was better for a barrio mexican kid who was educating himself to be smart was better for the show. More Rocky like. Unknown nobody, struggling to make the big time, get smart, help his family.

That guy from the east coast in the last fight really sucked. The guy with the 28 and 1 record? Can't think of his name. He spent the entire fight laying on Sergio. That is not fighting. He would push Sergio into the ropes and lay on him to try and tire him out. Where is the skill in that? I kept wishing boxing allowed elbows so Sergio could elbow him right in that unprotected head he was pushing into Sergio's chest.

David Jamieson
05-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Didn't catch the series. heard it was good and that the final fights were pretty decent.

The Sly factor. Well, he's the producer, and I think it was his idea. Who cares whether he can box or not, I'm sure peter jackson isn't an elf but he can make pretty good movies that have elves in them apparently. Anyway, thanks Sly for doing a show like this. Sugar Ray was a great choice for technical commentary imo, now that guy was a great boxer.

Man, some people gotta learn to delineate! :p

Chief Fox
05-30-2005, 05:09 PM
I've watched the show on and off and like it or not, Sly is a legend. Not a boxing legend but still a legend. The guy would not lend his name to something that was not legit so Sly offers credibility. In addition to that, his Rocky movies brought boxing to the masses. That is good for the sport of boxing. So even though Sly isn't a boxer he's still done a lot for the sport. Finally, Sly is a business man so how can you bust on the guy for trying to cross promote his lifes work.

I don't like the watered down fights but it's a good show and Sly is the perfect host. Sugar Ray is there to offer up real life experiences for the fighters and he does a great job at that.