PDA

View Full Version : What a master’s name can tell you ?

coco
05-27-2005, 06:46 PM
It can tell you which generation of shaolin monk he belongs to , also you may know some Information about his character through his name , If you are very bright and well-understand
chinese culture. Let me say :

Generally every shaolin monk has two names, one is their local name, the other is their monk name. As chinese name are always some rules and meaningful, their name show something about his generation and somehow their parents’hope or no-no, So does the monks name.

It was said that there were five big shaolin groups before the Yuan Dynasty. In the early of the Yuan Dynasty there was a monk named Fu yu who unified the five shaolin groups. He made the rule of nameing his next generation. It’s a poem, every generation must name their disciples by the rule of the poem. Their family name is shi, and their second name is the characters in the poem.
Their third name are various from different monks. Your shi fu might give you the third name as your character or your shortcoming. For example, there’s a monk named “jie se” in the shaolin History. His name means : abstain from debauchery, that’s because he’s a letch before he became a monk, so his shifu give him this name to warn him in his monk life.

Another example about the rule of the poem for the second name. One of the sentence of the poem is :
“De Xing Yong Yang Heng”, so the monks “De yang”, “De chan” are the same shaolin generation from the poem, so De chan named his disciples as “xing”, like “xing fang”,“xing xiang”, and “yong” generation is the grandson generation of “De ”eneration.
“Yong Xin”, the present abbot of the shaolin temple. He’s the 33th generation of shaolin monk. the 1st generation is “Fu”, like “Fu Yu” who’s the author of the poem. From his poem,
we can know “DE Yang” & “De Chan” are the 31th generation of shaolin monk.

The present generation of the shaolin monks’name comes to “miao” generation, that’s the Younger monks’ middle/second name in the shaolin temple.

Also there’s some secret about the poem, I only can understand a few sentences cause of my limited knowledge, one of the sentence i understand is "De Xing Yong Yang Heng", that means keep the goodness
forever or we can say good moral last forever. but I guess it should be a clue for some great wisdom in the poem. Let’s study and try to get it!

David Jamieson
05-30-2005, 06:07 AM
got any lists of names prior to 1927? that's where a lot of people are really curious due to lack of published materials.

the modern lineages have their importance to those who want to know the protocols of these days and back to the 80's or so. But many of us are interested in any records before the PRC reopened the Temple. That stuff is hard to come by.

GeneChing
05-31-2005, 10:23 AM
coco: We published the Shaolin Generation Poem in its original Chinese characters and pinyin, along with a translation done as a cooperative effort of Shi Guolin, Gigi Oh and myself in our Shaolin Special 2000 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=152) so any long-time reader of our work is familiar with this poem. Note that there was a chace of back issues discovered in our warehouse recently, so the long-sougth after Shaolin Speciall 2000 is back in stock (http://www.martialartsmart.net/kf200005sp.html).

KL: If you look at Shi Deqian's Shaolin encyclopedia, you'll find an extensive lineage list of names. That work was based on pre-1927 texts, allegedly salvaged from before the great fire. Deqian updated some of those lineage lists to include a few significant masters of the modern era - it's far from complete, but it covers what you're looking for, for the most part.

David Jamieson
05-31-2005, 11:49 AM
coco: We published the Shaolin Generation Poem in its original Chinese characters and pinyin, along with a translation done as a cooperative effort of Shi Guolin, Gigi Oh and myself in our Shaolin Special 2000 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=152) so any long-time reader of our work is familiar with this poem. Note that there was a chace of back issues discovered in our warehouse recently, so the long-sougth after Shaolin Speciall 2000 is back in stock (http://www.martialartsmart.net/kf200005sp.html).

KL: If you look at Shi Deqian's Shaolin encyclopedia, you'll find an extensive lineage list of names. That work was based on pre-1927 texts, allegedly salvaged from before the great fire. Deqian updated some of those lineage lists to include a few significant masters of the modern era - it's far from complete, but it covers what you're looking for, for the most part.

coolio!

is this in the 5 volume set G~? and forgive my ignorance and laziness but does mam offer it?

GeneChing
05-31-2005, 01:27 PM
We offer the five-volume Taguo book set (http://www.martialartsmart.net/bslx115.html) - the one of which I speak is the two-volume Encyclopedia, which is only available in Chinese.

David Jamieson
05-31-2005, 09:31 PM
hmmm, where is that availabel G~?

any leads?

GeneChing
06-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Not that I really support our UNPAID advertisers with their shameless UNPAID plugs, but someone *here* posts that they are available on occassion. There's probably one not-too-far back because it's expensive and slow to move...

yan23
08-13-2005, 02:05 AM
i'm sure you talk about this before,but i have some doubts,can somebody tell me
the name generations from 29 to 36.

thanks

Pk_StyLeZ
08-13-2005, 07:30 PM
name generation as of the shaolin monks?
here i fill in wat i know

29..??
30..??
31..shi de
32..shi xing
33..shi yang?or shi yong??
34..shi yan
35..shi heng
36..??

im to lz to go search for it on the net..so maybe someone will fill the rest in or make corrections to mines..=)

yan23
08-14-2005, 12:09 AM
i think you have the same doubts as me,but thanks..

35 i know is heng

36 is miao

34 i think is yang,but also i heard about yan,maybe is just a mistake in the spelling....

also i know that before " de" is "su",but anyway i expect that somebady with knowledge,can help us

Pk_StyLeZ
08-14-2005, 11:35 AM
yang and yan is different

i am sure 31 and 32 is de and xing
i trained under a 31st and 32nd before =)
and i am sure 34 is yan
my sifu is a 34th right now =) shi yan feng
and im pretty sure we all know shi yan ming..he 34th too

wall
08-15-2005, 06:02 AM
29..Hai (?)
30..Su
31..De
32..Xing
33..Yong
34..Yan
35..Heng
36..Miao (?)

GeneChing
08-15-2005, 10:14 AM
The generation names are based upon a Shaolin poem, each generation being anothe character in the poem. We published the whole poem, complete with Chinese characters and translation, on page 44 of our Shaolin special 2000 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=152). The poem is seven phrases long, each broken into two lines of five characters each, which means it's a total of 70 characters (and that we're only half way through it now). Starting at character 26:
26: Zan
27: Ji
28: Chun
29: Zhen
30: Su
31: De
32: Xing
33: Yong
34: Yan
35: Heng
36: Miao
37: Ti
38: Chang
39: Jian
40: Gu
Currently, I don't know of any Zhen's still alive, only Su's. The youngest I've heard of is Miao's but I'm sure there are Ti's (or there will be very soon).