PDA

View Full Version : Moy Yat lineage

Floortom
08-28-2000, 03:35 AM
Hi, I'm wondering what people here think about Mo Yat's lineage of ving tsun. There's a sifu around here who trained under him and I would like some opinions about his particular style of ving tsun.

Sean Madigan
08-28-2000, 08:04 AM
Hi,

I happen to know a couple of guys who train in that lineage, and they are excellient martial artist.

They have great energy, and positioning, and their Sil Lim Tau is great!

All the best,

BIG Sean Madigan

"The truth is more important then the facts!"

kobu
08-28-2000, 04:46 PM
Moy Yat was a very close disciple of Yip Man,
he taught for Yip Man as well.
He stayed with Yip Man for 15yrs, only leaving Hong Kong after Yip Man died.
He teaches a very pure style,very detail oriented. His top student`s are very good.

Kobu

Sihing73
08-28-2000, 09:37 PM
Hello All,

One thing that has not been mentioned is the fact that Moy Yat carved the Kune Kuit in stone. it is my understanding that he did this with the approval, if not the direction, of Yip Man. There is one set of carvings and they can be seen on display at the Ving Tsun museum in Ohio. One of his students, Benny Meng runs the Ving Tsun museum.

Aside from his Martial Arts skill Moy Yat is known for his artistic abilities.

I have heard various things concerning Moy Yats skill. However, his disciples have a firm reputation for being vary good. I think his methods would be a fair representation of some of Yip Mans earlier teachings and woud stress a great deal of "attention to detail".

Peace,

Dave

Sean Madigan
08-28-2000, 09:44 PM
Hi Si hing

A great example of Moy Yat's "artistic abilties" can be seen on his website. www.moyyat.com (http://www.moyyat.com) .

Check out his "Blush Strokes"

Here is one for you to see:
http://www.moyyat.com/images/BLUSH/5.GIF
Err...I'm not kidding. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Also, I may be wrong, but I am told that Moy Yat has asked for the "Kune Kuit" history chops back from the museum. I don't know the complete story so I will not add to the rumors.

Oh, and on a side note, I just wanted to tell you that I enjoy your posts very much. You convey information in an excellient way.

All the best,

BIG Sean Madigan
www.bigjkd.com (http://www.bigjkd.com)

Turiyan
08-31-2000, 11:31 AM
Funny how his students also have a flair for the artistic. One mixes wing chun with tae kwon do and bodybuilding.

I also read about moy's zen transmission of wing chun. He charges a hefty fee just have have you hang around. Then after a few months, boom, your good (after learning from books and video tapes).

And if someone has questions about the root of your skills, dont despair, you can always whip out your taped bai shee ceremony to prove how solid your lineage is.

You learned by draining the skill right out of moy yat's body.

Sihing73
08-31-2000, 08:43 PM
Hi Sean,

Given the current political climate within the WC community and some of the recent statements coming from the ving tsun museum and on the WCML. I would not be surprised if there was some tension. Still, it is best to let sleeping dogs lie and I respect your unwillingness to add to the confusion. Besides, does it really matter in the end? I think not /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif all things come to light eventually and many times disagreements are merely misunderstandings due to the meduim of exchange. For example you and I may disagree about how to do something, in this forum. Then we may meet and discover we were in line all along, just had trouble expressing it in this medium.

As to your kind words, thanks. Again, anything I can offer is the result of having some fine teachers who were willing to share with me. I have a heck of a lot more to learn yet and am even starting over by learning William Cheungs version. I have found many differences and many similarities. Now, if we could all get past the politics we could really help the system to grow.

Sorry for assuming that because you do JKD you were heavily into FMA's. See what assumptions can do to us /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Peace,

Dave

Sihing73
08-31-2000, 09:17 PM
Hi Turiyan,

I am not sure but it seems that you may have something against Moy Yat. If that is the case then we could discuss specific differences of opinions. However, I would like to keep from making any disparaging comments directed at anyone or any particular lineage/branch.

For example, we could discuss the different methods which are used to train students but, I think it is unfair to make a blanket statement deriding the entire group. Also, the Bai Sai is something done within his branch and, unless you have direct knowledge, it is unfair to make negative comments. Many of Moy Yats people have demonstrated a high degree of skill, I am sure there are many who have not as well.

So, let's try to keep this forum above the downing of various others, regardless of the reason. Let's stick to discussing issues and leave personality out of it. BTW, I am just as guilty as anyone else so everyone feel free to let me know if I fail to heed my own advice /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The orignal question was what people think of Moy yats lineage or version, not the man himself. Again, I welcome any specific examples concernign his method of training etc.

If you want to discuss this please feel free to email me at: dmcknight@home.com or
Sihing73@Juno.Com

Peace,

Dave

vingtsun-nyc
09-03-2000, 06:16 PM
Turyian,

I agree with Sihing73 regarding all the politics that plague WC. And this forum should be free of that. Unfortunately, we will have a few people who enjoy inciting others with their immflamatory postings.

I normally do not respond to them, but I felt compelled to respond to yours. To what are your comments about Moy Yat based upon? Are you a former student? How do you know the inner workings of the organization? Do you know the true meaning of a Bai See?

If you are a true martial artist, do you not know the meaning of Mo Duk, martial etiquette? Has your instructor, and your parents, taught you not to disrepect others because they are different from you in style and methodology?

I recommend you spend more of your time training and less time spewing out needless postings that do no benefit this forum. And at the same time, try to find out what it means to be a true martial artist. If your instructor does not know, perhaps you can contact Sihing73. From his postings, I gather he is an individual of integrity and understands what I have been saying.

Good luck.

Tom

Vyvial
10-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Here's another oldy that I personally like.... "i was asking about Mo Yat not Moy Yat..."

Keng Geng
10-16-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by vingtsun-nyc
I normally do not respond to them, but I felt compelled to respond to yours. Of course! It's normal to want to come to your lineage's defense. One needs to justify what they do, right?

How do you know the inner workings of the organization? So, it's true then...

Do you know the true meaning of a Bai See? Did Moy Yat?

If you are a true martial artist, do you not know the meaning of Mo Duk, martial etiquette? Did Moy Yat?

I recommend you spend more of your time trainingDid Moy Yat?

And at the same time, try to find out what it means to be a true martial artist. Did Moy Yat?

Vyvial
10-16-2003, 10:05 AM
ummm, I didn't post any of that. My name is Aaron and I'm not from NY. But I can respond if you would like.

Keng Geng
10-16-2003, 10:15 AM
sure!

S.Teebas
10-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Keng Geng = WhippingHand ?

Vyvial
10-16-2003, 11:25 AM
yes

Keng Geng
10-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Don't be too sure.

Vyvial
10-16-2003, 02:54 PM
I'll be sure to take that to heart, thanks for the advice.