PDA

View Full Version : Tanglang Quan and Hakka arts - Could there be a connection?

mantis108
05-30-2005, 02:24 PM
This is my personal thoughts in reply to Mantid1's query. All my usual caveats apply.

Shandong Tanglang (mantis), Fujian Baihe (white crane), and Dongjiang Longxing (Dragon style) might share something in common and even might have evolved from a puglistic source (ie Fanziquan) IMHO.

Fujian Baihe or more precisely Yong Chun He Fa (prototypical Baihe mid 1600s CE) would be a focal point and a hub in my understanding of the relationship between these styles

I believe that Li Bingxiao (mid 1700s CE) visited the south (may be Jiangsu or Zhejiang area) possibly Fujian as well since his family's ancestoral root was in Fujian. He brought back a pugilistic system which was known as Tanglangquan. So in a sense this would be southern method northern application. Surely the body mechanics and power generation as we know it today is more akin to most of the northern styles which could be collectively link to Pigua mechanics (ie Fanche Lulu, Chansijing, etc.) But I feel we can not overlook the intricacy of the fundamental stances such as horse, hiking and minor stance as well as numerous posture's role that they play in Li's Tanglang. BTW minor stance's southern counter part is the triangle stance.

As for the typical southern power generation, it was further developed since 1683 with the additional teaching of White Lotus follower, Baijie (white commandment), to the Yong Chun He Fa. He taught Cun Jing Jie Li (inch power section strength) to the white crane clans; hence, the birth of various white crane. Sollow, Spit, Surface, and Sink became the signature mechanics of not only the Fujian arts but also the Hakka arts further south into Guangdong.

Shandong Tanglang, Fujian Baihe, and Dongjiang Longxing not only share commonality in system structure IMHO but also some form structures pretaining to internal aspects of the practices. I am of the opinion that Sanhui Jiuzhuan (3 returns 9 rotations method) of Shandong Tanglang might have relationship to Sanjian (three battles) of Yong Chun Baihe to a certain degree. It is of note though that Shandong Tanglang don't have offical bow or salutation which is typical of most northern styles. While Fujian Baihe has the lotus salute at the end of the form signifying it's roots in the White Lotus sect. Dongjiang Longxing has the southern Shaolin Salution to indicate it's affiliation with the legendary temple. The bow and salutation are more typical of the southern styles. BTW, one can find a rendition of lotus salute in Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate as well.

Mantis108

mantid1
05-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Mr 108

Thanks for your insight

Southern Fist
05-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Mantis 108:

Nice analogy and profound understanding. Fukien Bak Hok, Nam Tong Long, Lung Ying share alot of close range concepts and theories. Tong Long IMO share in the pressure point and seizing concepts with these Southern Styles. Hakka being from the Northern People (Hakka meaning Northern Guest) you may be on right track.

mantid1
05-31-2005, 04:28 AM
I never knew that Hakka meant "Northern guest". Thanks

-N-
05-31-2005, 06:35 AM
hak = guest
ka = family

Sal Canzonieri
05-31-2005, 07:08 AM
There's a simple explaination why Shandong Tanglang and White Crane share similarityes, and why the connection seen to San Jian form.

Which is that both styles share their roots in Tai Tzu Quan.
Tai tzu quan is one of the main bases of Tanglang.

White Crane picks up Tai tzu Quan via the hakka.

Southern tai tzu quan has about 6 forms, the San Jian is one of them.
The hakka brought it to the south, many of them are members of the royal court and relatives from the Chao (chow, etc) family, who Sun Tai Tzu was of as well.

Beggar's style, a hakka art, and Five Ancestors styles, both southern styles are strongly founded on Tai Tzu Quan as well.

mantis108
05-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Thank you for the kind response, Southernfist, and also the input from everyone else. I really appreciate it.

Hi Sal,

There's a simple explaination why Shandong Tanglang and White Crane share similarityes, and why the connection seen to San Jian form.

Personally, we can't jump to conclusion via just similarities in forms. In fact, San Jian form don't even exist in Shandong Tanglang. The mother forms (ie Luanjie and Bazhou) of mantis bear no direct resemblance to the White Crane forms (ie Bafen, XiaoQian, etc). I am basically of the opinion that the essential concepts and the mechanics of Shandong Tanglang Neigong (ie Immortal arches hand) are remarkably reminiscent of the Baihe San Jian form. The function of the Neigong in both Tanglang and Baihe are about handling impact and increasing power output on the martial level. It addresses the yin and the yang of combat. We can see the same in the Goju Ryu San Jian derivetive.

Which is that both styles share their roots in Tai Tzu Quan.
Tai tzu quan is one of the main bases of Tanglang.

I have not seen or train in a COMPLETE Taizu Men although my teacher, Chiu Chuk Kai, did learn Taizu Men Duanda and weaponry. I can't even be sure if Taizu Changquan and Taizu Duanda really are the material from the same system. I am not sure where your source of the Taizu being the main bases of Tanglang. If it is from the sonnet of 18 family, then I would have to say that I am reserved about that idea. I simply can not accept the current Henan Shaolin temple's take on Taizu Chang quan which in my mind is a recent creation of the PROC. Until I see a real solid ancient system of such I would not jump to conculsion on this one nethier.

White Crane picks up Tai tzu Quan via the hakka.

I am not familiar with Hakka Taizuquan. I would love to know more about it if someone can share their insights. According to different White Crane lines, there are myriad of explanation of the genetic make up of their style. So this also is an open end question IMHO.

Southern tai tzu quan has about 6 forms, the San Jian is one of them.
The hakka brought it to the south, many of them are members of the royal court and relatives from the Chao (chow, etc) family, who Sun Tai Tzu was of as well.

I would like to know the source of this and where could we find proofs? Could you list the entire curriculum?

Beggar's style, a hakka art, and Five Ancestors styles, both southern styles are strongly founded on Tai Tzu Quan as well.

No comment as I have not dwell deep enough on these styles.

All in all, we all have our own theories and they are just that until solid proofs can be provided. My take simply is that there is a direction that we can examin and investigate but we can't jump to a conclusion. I appreciate your inputs. Thanks :)

Warm regards

Mantis108

YuanZhideDiZhen
06-04-2005, 08:31 PM
I never knew that Hakka meant "Northern guest". Thanks

that's "D4MN Yankees!"

YuanZhideDiZhen
06-04-2005, 08:40 PM

is this five ancestors similar to the five families styles?

is it related to the five brothers style of hung gar?

since we are talking about southern styles and someone has mentioned
one of the hakka arts which apparantly was developed in the south by those darn friendly northerners why is it then a northern style?

so, since y'all are basically saying that hok and long fu are basically similar is there some ethnic factor that made one hok and the other long? such as temple or sect rivalry? or neighboring valley rivalry?

are they as similar as 7star Mantis is to Hong Shaolin?

YuanZhideDiZhen
06-04-2005, 09:03 PM
I have not seen or train in a COMPLETE Taizu Men although my teacher, Chiu Chuk Kai, did learn Taizu Men Duanda and weaponry. I can't even be sure if Taizu Changquan and Taizu Duanda really are the material from the same system. I am not sure where your source of the Taizu being the main bases of Tanglang. If it is from the sonnet of 18 family, then I would have to say that I am reserved about that idea. I simply can not accept the current Henan Shaolin temple's take on Taizu Chang quan which in my mind is a recent creation of the PROC. Until I see a real solid ancient system of such I would not jump to conculsion on this one nethier.

there was a considerable discussion about the sonnet of 18 families and the formation tang lang in the northern mantis section. i think it was "7star article"

thankyou for your considerable input in clearing certain airs.

Shaolin Master
06-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Taizuquan is the mother of many fujian martial arts including Wuzuquan.

Northern Taizuquan and Southern Taizuquan have nothing to do with each other (Outside of the name). There are over 5 varieties of complete northern taizuquan systems.

Guangdong Hakka arts in Meixian differ considerably from those of Dongjiang. The concentration of Hakka communities in Meixian is considerably more than that of Dongjiang. Southern Jiangxi Hakka communities have arts that are influenced by the provincial art of Yingmenquan. Meixian's Lijia, Yue Jia, Diu Jia etc....are well propagated in the area.

Tanglangquan should be considered on its own merits.... the soul searching of the root prior to Liangxuexiang or Songzide is fairly contentious considering the amount of variations and their influences during that dynasty.

Kind regards
Wu Chan Long