PDA

View Full Version : Monk Fight!!!

dimmakseminar
05-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Dear Readers:

Apparently there are some Monks in Thailand that are in need of the Shao-Lin.

Monk Fight in Thailand (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050531/od_nm/thailand_monks_dc;_ylt=AkaF3THPNuXTGuDlNOVs3DouQE4 F;_ylu=X3oDMTA5Mm0ycTEwBHNlYwNsbjc1Nw--)

Regards,

dimmakseminar

GeneChing
05-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Almost every Thai male will spend some time living as a monk in a Buddhist monastery in Thailand. It's almost mandatory, culturally speaking. That being said, while many of the Thai monks are very devout, most are poseurs - short-timers - kind of like teenagers in junior college because they had no where else to go. I remember being in Wat Po, one of Thailand's most important Buddhist Temples, snooping around like I always do, and finding a couple of monks huddled around a hibachi, BBQing meat and drinking beer. My first thought was "I can hang with these monks"

PangQuan
05-31-2005, 02:44 PM
lol @ gene...

dimmakseminar
06-01-2005, 12:39 PM
...and finding a couple of monks huddled around a hibachi, BBQing meat and drinking beer...

Sounds suspiciously like a few of the US Shao-Lin Monks, and it sounds precisely like one of Honda-san's immortal summer picnics, Gene. :)

Respectfully,

dimmakseminar

GeneChing
06-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Ah, but that's outside the temple. A lot of the wuseng claim that they can be more lenient on their restrictions outside the temple. Inside is a different story. Also, you have to understand what Wat Po is. It is Bangkok's significant Buddhist temple (see Wat Po (http://thailandforvisitors.com/central/bangkok/watpo.html)) with a spectacular collection of Buddhas and temple rooms. Thailand is a Buddhist nation. Buddhas must be treated respectfully - you can't even take them out of the country - and every bodhi tree is worshipped. But it's far from a Buddhist utopia - a tourist utopia more like (although mostly Euro tourists). Thailand is Asia for beginners... ;)

YuanZhideDiZhen
06-04-2005, 02:37 AM
one gang on one side of the road, the other on the other side? hurumph. broadway really does emulate life. what do you bet a version of bangkok story appears on broadway next year ( two production years) with a scene in which the monks fight for begging positions? I'll bet you a ticket.