PDA

View Full Version : Mantis VS kicks

quasar987
05-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Hi,

What would be in your opinion, the best fighting strategy of the mantis practitionner while fighting against a practitionner of Kae Kwan Do or any kick-oriented and long-distance fighting style?

Three Harmonies
06-01-2005, 08:56 AM
YKW
I agree. But the Muay Thai kick is hard to catch. Learn to block with your shin/leg and then go in quickly for a takedown or throw of some sorts.
Many of us get all hoity toidy learning the CMA and forget that some of the TKD fools out there are old school and actually know how to kick high, well! Never underestimate an opponent regardless of their style. All too often we make silly assumptions, and then get embarrased when some TKD black belt kick us three times in the head before we know what is going on.
Jake :)

mantis108
06-01-2005, 11:21 AM
We have sparred TKD based artists and Karate stylist too. Basically, don't worry about their flashy kicks. Hands up protecting the head, close distance quick, clinch and takedown. They are pretty confident about their spinning back kicks but it's pretty useless if you are mobile and keep closing in on them. In fact, we have frequently able to get their backs because of that. We agreed not to do the throws otherwise it pretty much ends there for them. BTW, hook grab pluck with a punch almost always dings them right on the nose. We have frequent stoppages during sparring session because of their bleeding noses . We also clinch and knee which is something hard for them to deal with.

Dealing with kicker you can't allow him the luxury of space. Go in get the job done. Remeber the spirit of a predatory insect is closing in for the kill as quickly as possible. That should be your fighting intent.

Mantis108

Three Harmonies
06-02-2005, 07:09 AM
YKW
I totally agree. On that note...how do you define "inner" leg hooking in SC? What I mean is, if I hook my opponents leg (on the inside) in either direction is it still inner leg hooking? Same with outer?

THanks
Jake :D

Three Harmonies
06-02-2005, 04:32 PM
YKW
Thank you very much. That makes things much more clear.
I believe these techniques can be interpreted in the forms, but regardless Hu Laoshi incorporates tons of these maneuvers in his fighting. He learned Shuai Chiao from Pu En Fu, and has incorporated it into the Mantis principles.
Would leg seizing (not sure of the Chinese) be classified as a hook, or something unto itself??

Thank you sir,

Three Harmonies
06-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Cool. Thank you.