PDA

View Full Version : The "chop chop" problem

Ray Pina
06-02-2005, 08:16 AM
My master always says he wants to raise the martial artist, meaning that at one time actors were just mere toys for the wealthy but are not highly respected. He's like to see martial artists wisen up and become more dignified.

It was something I never thought about until Sunday. I just got back from a fight that I had won and feeling good and I showed my landlord because I train his young son.

Later that day I went to his Memorial Day BBQ and there were a ot of people and he introduced me to this older woman who immediately said, "Oh, you're that karate guy" and went into a karate pose and started chopping at the air with bladed hands.

It kind of turned my stomach the way she viewed me. Here I was so high on a technically flawless victory -- and kind bud -- and this lady made me feel like a fool.

Normally, I don't care what people think. But I could see this wealthy Long Island lady looking at me as a) a piece of meat and b) like some dumb jock.

Can we raise the status of martial artists? How?

Judge Pen
06-02-2005, 08:23 AM

Eliminate all McDojos and bad martial arts movies. What the public sees is their reality.

rogue
06-02-2005, 08:26 AM
I don't think you can to non-MA. What we do is looked at as silly, exotic or crazy. The best thing to do IMO is don't let it get to you, don't take yourself too seriously and let people get to know you as a person and not a martial artist.

PangQuan
06-02-2005, 08:29 AM
There are two kinds of people.

"There are those who are fond of the martial way of life, and there are those who are not."
~Miyamoto Musashi

Mr Punch
06-02-2005, 08:34 AM
I thought it was people who wore spurs and people who came in the window...?

So what did you say to raise the image of martial arts Ray?

David Jamieson
06-02-2005, 08:41 AM
You should have said "no, It's kungfu" then sweep kicked here with the follow up of putting a hotdog in her nose then finished with a quippy "get it right next time ya old douchebag".

I'll bet you a dollar over a donut someone would have handed you a beer after that. :D

Ray Pina
06-02-2005, 09:15 AM
I thought it was people who wore spurs and people who came in the window...?

So what did you say to raise the image of martial arts Ray?

I smiled politely, ate my hamburger and spoke to her about backgammon of all things :confused:

PangQuan
06-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Fully.

Whenever someone says, "dont you know karate" I just say "nope" and leave it at that, sometimes they say "oh thats right, its that other thing", and i say "what other thing" sometimes they will remember sometimes they wont, but it never fails and they always say "its all the same though isnt it" and i say "nope"

I think if you want to change the way people view martial artists is to first educate them about the basics. Knowledge is the light that will burn away the darkness of ignorance.

SevenStar
06-02-2005, 09:37 AM

two questions for you:

1. why do you want to?
2. what are you expecting?

Reggie1
06-02-2005, 09:42 AM
But I could see this wealthy Long Island lady looking at me as a) a piece of meat and b) like some dumb jock.

No offense meant Ray, but it's kind of funny when a guy gets uncomfortable about being looked at like a piece of meat. I've learned that the best solution to something like this (only if she is reasonably attractive) is to:
1. Hump them
2. Leave them
3. Never talk to them again

Since this lady was older, you have to do the next best thing. Hump her daughter.

Works every time!

"Oh, you're that karate guy" and went into a karate pose and started chopping at the air with bladed hands.

I hate that. I mean REALLY hate that. There should be a law allowing martial artists to kick those people in the head.

SevenStar
06-02-2005, 10:04 AM
FWIW, my experiences have change A LOT over the past years. about 6 years ago, we would train in the park, and people would make the bruce lee noises, comments, etc. in recent years - I guess now that mma is more in the spotlight - if I tell someone I do thai boxing and grappling, it's like "Whoa... are you one of those ultimate fighter guys?"

SaekSan
06-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Usually I take it as a queue to talk about martial arts and educate them a little on what I do. Most of the time it's a pleasent conversation and you get a few students out of it, some times you get involved in the "what if I had a gun?" or "can you really fight?" type of conversation and those can be a bit tense at first but can be highly entertaining later... not as often but sometimes you can start a conversation with a hottie that can take you to other places with phrases like "If you would like I can show you my Shaolin long pole penetrates the Jade gates technique"... :D

MasterKiller
06-02-2005, 10:17 AM
FWIW, my experiences have change A LOT over the past years. about 6 years ago, we would train in the park, and people would make the bruce lee noises, comments, etc. in recent years - I guess now that mma is more in the spotlight - if I tell someone I do thai boxing and grappling, it's like "Whoa... are you one of those ultimate fighter guys?"
That's why I tell people I do Chinese Boxing instead of Kung Fu, for precisely the same reason.

fa_jing
06-02-2005, 10:21 AM
I remember John Wang complaining that one of his relatives would do that to him (the chop chop thing), and that people in general didn't understand his dedication or what MA means to him. So you are in good company. But, my wife has made me realize that MA is pretty tangential to any of the normal goals we have in our modern society. Estas feliz porque te dieron un poco de golpes, eso es lo que mas te gusta she would say after I came home happy from sparring or competition. And she is right, and I do dig getting beat up by my fellow martial artists. You shouldn't take yourself so seriously. MA is cool but for most people, it is not life and overdedication to it for a non-professional martial artist can detract from your obligations, especially once you have a family.

Vash
06-02-2005, 10:29 AM
I tell people, when they ask, I do carotty. I tried to pronounce it correctly once, but that led to more poor Bruce Lee squeels and dumb accented mockery.

I get a lot of people telling me they "heard Joe Rogan say on the Ultimate Fighter that mixed martial arts is the pinacle of martial combat, and that 'traditional' stuff just doesn't work in today's reality." That is usually followed by a "why do you do it, since it doesn't work anymore?" I've found saying this helps with that:

Me - "You know, I have a lot of people tell me the same thing."

Dummy - "So, why keep doing it if it doesn't work?"

Me - "Because no one's been able to show me it doesn't work."

Dummy - "Whatever. Take me; what if I had a gun or a piece of rebar? What's karate going to do about that? Chop me?"

Me - "Yeah. Okay. You ever work legs?"

Dummy - "No, got a bad knee."

Me - "Okay, so you've got a bad knee. I'd kick you in your bad knee then take the rebar and the gun."

Dummy - "Whatever, dude. My knee ain't that bad."

Me - "Then why don't you squat?"

That's actually a conversation I've had.

But really, I try to avoid the discussion when I see the know-it-all, ain't-it-cute smirk comes out.

Judge Pen
06-02-2005, 10:41 AM
sometimes you can start a conversation with a hottie that can take you to other places with phrases like "If you would like I can show you my Shaolin long pole penetrates the Jade gates technique"... :D

That's my favorite technique.

Ray Pina
06-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Normally I can talk to someone and explain that no, I do Kung Fu, but it's internal Kung Fu so I'm not really associated with Karate or Kung Fu. And then they think of Tai Ji and that aint really correct either -- because of how people look at Tai Ji.

I just didn't want to say anything because I know my landlord was probably talking about the vid I just showed him and I want to seem arrogant or anything .... I kind of just wanted to chill out after worrying about being good before a fight for 3 or 4 days.

But it would be nice, if someday martial artists could be respected as skilled warriors carrying on a tradition of unarmed combat but also a moral code of being true to your word, speaking your mind and standing up for folks whp can't stand up for themselves.

It sounds ideal, but that's what I think of when I think of martial arts. I think of my teachers, and I hold them in such high esteem. To me, they are most eceptional people. When I'm around then I become quiet to listen and learn.

MasterKiller
06-02-2005, 11:16 AM
But it would be nice, if someday martial artists could be respected as skilled warriors carrying on a tradition of unarmed combat but also a moral code of being true to your word, speaking your mind and standing up for folks whp can't stand up for themselves. Well, for the most part, I think people don't respect martial artists to this degree because martial arts really come from a
more sinister background. Martial arts are historically closely associated with professional soldiers, bodyguards, criminals, and criminal organizations--not really the bread-and-butter of polite, civilized society.

I think most people outside martial arts circles these days consider fighting to be uncivilized and fighters to be thuggish, uneducated brutes.

I'm no killer, but you should see the way people talk around the office when I show up covered in bruises (grappling leaves my arms dotted with small bruises) or with an occassional split lip.

rogue
06-02-2005, 11:43 AM
I guess now that mma is more in the spotlight - if I tell someone I do thai boxing and grappling, it's like "Whoa... are you one of those ultimate fighter guys?" 7* also gets asked if he's "that Erkel guy".

Martial arts are historically closely associated with professional soldiers, bodyguards, criminals, and criminal organizations--not really the bread-and-butter of polite, civilized society. I don't think the average Joe see us that way at all. We're either a poormans prize fighter or a bunch of geek Bruce Lee wanna bees.

But it would be nice, if someday martial artists could be respected as skilled warriors carrying on a tradition of unarmed combat but also a moral code of being true to your word, speaking your mind and standing up for folks whp can't stand up for themselves. Slip into some long johns, get a cape and a mask and get busy. Or better yet you could join the Marines!

MasterKiller
06-02-2005, 11:49 AM
I don't think the average Joe see us that way at all. We're either a poormans prize fighter or a bunch of geek Bruce Lee wanna bees.
I don't think so, either. I was trying to make a point that Martial Arts does not historically come from highly moral people.

I went on to say:

I think most people outside martial arts circles these days consider fighting to be uncivilized and fighters to be thuggish, uneducated brutes.

Brutes, or Bruce Lee wannabes, that is :p

FuXnDajenariht
06-02-2005, 11:57 AM
dude....... forget changing everyone else. dont take yourself so serious. you'll live longer.

FuXnDajenariht
06-02-2005, 12:05 PM
I get a lot of people telling me they "heard Joe Rogan say on the Ultimate Fighter that mixed martial arts is the pinacle of martial combat, and that 'traditional' stuff just doesn't work in today's reality." That is usually followed by a "why do you do it, since it doesn't work anymore?" I've found saying this helps with that:

lol he actually said that the night of the UFC "tough enough" style final competition.

apparently up until UFC and MMA were invented all forms of martial arts were inept and ineffective. :rolleyes: apparently Joe Rogan is a martial arts historian along with gameshow host.

rogue
06-02-2005, 12:27 PM
You're correct MK. Not too many mothers telling their daughters to "find one of those nice martial arts boys to marry."

Vash
06-02-2005, 12:28 PM
That final show was awesome. I don't remember him saying that, though.

truewrestler
06-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Ray, just call it Chinese Boxing and be done with it

SevenStar
06-02-2005, 12:32 PM
lol he actually said that the night of the UFC "tough enough" style final competition.

apparently up until UFC and MMA were invented all forms of martial arts were inept and ineffective. :rolleyes: apparently Joe Rogan is a martial arts historian along with gameshow host.

Game show host AND former world TKD champ - get it right! :mad: :D

Reggie1
06-02-2005, 12:33 PM
That's why I tell people I do Chinese Boxing instead of Kung Fu, for precisely the same reason.

I say chinese kickboxing instead of kung fu. It's funny how different people's reactions are when you say different things.

For example, I was on a plane--somebody struck up a conversation w/ me because I was reading KFM. I told them I do kung fu. A bunch of people got into the conversation. They made funny Bruce Lee noises and then spent the rest of the time joking about it w/ the usual questions (can you really fight, etc.)

On the very next plane I was on, I was reading JAMA (only because I'd already finished my KFM ;) ). Somebody asked me if I took martial arts, and I said I did Chinese kickboxing. The conversation was then very serious (is it dangerous? Do you get hurt? Isn't that really violent? Are you in the UFC?)

The different reactions from just saying variations of the same thing is pretty funny.

MasterKiller
06-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Hold on sec. Were you practicing MT and Grappling in the park, or Kung Fu?

No matter where you go, you tell people you do kung fu and they think Bruce Lee before Chuck Liddell.

I would imagine if you practiced grappling in a park, you would still get people making funny noises at you (mostly from sailors :eek: ).

SevenStar
06-02-2005, 12:37 PM
7* also gets asked if he's "that Erkel guy".

that hasn't happened since I got my cred back.

SevenStar
06-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Hold on sec. Were you practicing MT and Grappling in the park, or Kung Fu?

No matter where you go, you tell people you do kung fu and they think Bruce Lee before Chuck Liddell.

I would imagine if you practiced grappling in a park, you would still get people making funny noises at you (mostly from sailors :eek: ).

ya know, it's funny..... we were doing kung fu. But I have grappled in the park - it got a bunch of awkward looks, but nobody really said anything....

The only time I've been in the park and not gotten noises and comments about kung fu was while practicing broadsword - then people just moved out of the way. It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

MasterKiller
06-02-2005, 12:47 PM
It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.Especially when they're at the ATM.

SevenStar
06-02-2005, 12:54 PM
But it would be nice, if someday martial artists could be respected as skilled warriors carrying on a tradition of unarmed combat but also a moral code of being true to your word, speaking your mind and standing up for folks whp can't stand up for themselves.

you know - I think this is actually part of the problem. People already think MA is nothing more than wire tricks and fantasy anyway - that's my guess as to why the term 'kung fu' is received the way that it is - film and other media have turned it into an utter joke. Boxing is a known ringsport - they are known for beating the he11 outta people. That is likely why terms like 'chinese boxing' and 'thai boxing' get more respect. I'd venture to say that if instead of 'grappling', I told people I 'wrestled', I would get similar stupid comments about the WWE.

By thinking we are "warriors", we are - in a sense - propogating the stereotype. No offense, but you are not a warrior, IMO, nor am I. Most of the other posters on this forum are not either. Also - especially in this day and age - respect is not given, it's earned. If someone wants to be respected as a fighter, they should fight. Naturally though, the respect factor there is limited - you will be respected by the ones who have seen you fight, or who know that you fight. The more successful you become, the more respect you will earn.

In the meantime, just tell people you train chinese boxing :D

Judge Pen
06-02-2005, 01:22 PM
It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

That image cracks me up!

Slightly OT, but has anyone ever been hassled because they were doing weapon practice in a park?

wdl
06-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Slightly OT, but has anyone ever been hassled because they were doing weapon practice in a park?

I haven't been, but last time I was in Philly I saw a guy get harassed. He was practising a Dao set, on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give him a 6.5. Wasn't bad looking, but the timing was still choppy and the nasty flow word wasn't there yet. He completely ignored this one guy that kept laughing at him until the guy came up and started to verbally harass him, he gently said:

"1.... 2...." Between 2 and 3 the guy turned around and walked off. If memory serves correctly that was at the Rittenhouse Square off Walnut, but it might have been somewhere else.

-Will

SevenStar
06-02-2005, 01:35 PM
hehe, I saw that, MK...

MasterKiller
06-02-2005, 01:44 PM
hehe, I saw that, MK...
The stupid new forum won't let you just post a quote without commenting on it. :mad:

Palmer
06-02-2005, 01:56 PM
two questions for you:

1. why do you want to?
2. what are you expecting?

This is kind of where I am at on this issue as well. The vast majority of times a conversation like this comes up the person I am talking to has no real referance point and whatever I would say to "educate" them really wouldnt make a difference to them.
It reminds me of a discussion I had with a Bagua guy that teaches self defence to local law enforcement. He just said one day that he is no longer refering to himself as a "martial artist" because it just brings up to many things in peoples minds that he does not want to associate himself with. I was a little dumb founded at the time but now I tend to agree with him.
I practice Hsing-i, Hop Gar and Tai Chi and most of the time when strangers ask me about it I just tell them its a good work out and i enjoy it and move on. Nothing I say will really give them a better understanding of what I do so i dont see the point. If asked about the self defence/combative portion nature of it I would elaborate a bit but not a whole lot.

SevenStar
06-02-2005, 02:02 PM

The stupid new forum won't let you just post a quote without commenting on it. :mad:

rogue
06-02-2005, 06:31 PM
By thinking we are "warriors", we are - in a sense - propogating the stereotype. No offense, but you are not a warrior, IMO, nor am I. Most of the other posters on this forum are not either. Word 7*! The people that I consider true warriors never talk about being a warrior. I do know many people who are fighters and I think it's perfectly fine to call themselves that. When I hear someone calling themselves a warrior I just think the guy is also a Star Wars geek.

Most people avoid fighting and violence as much as possible, meeting people who willingly take part in it is just strange to them. We are not the norm so we shouldn't be surprised when people think us odd. I'm like Palmer in that when someone asks I just say it's fun and a good workout as it saves having to explain why I do what I do.

BTW Ray, you don't need to let anyone know about your martial arts to have a moral code of being true to your word, speaking your mind and standing up for folks who can't stand up for themselves. It's just being a good person. :)

Originally Posted by SevenStar
It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them. That sentence alone could spawn a hundred jokes and one liners.

Shaolinlueb
06-02-2005, 06:39 PM
i hate it when people are like how karate? what karate? oh its the smae thing! :mad: :mad: :mad: is how i feel.

rogue
06-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Want to try that in English? ;)

gwa sow
06-02-2005, 07:55 PM
one thing that bugs me is that no matter how many times i tell my friends i practice kung fu, they always ask...." hows the karate?" instead of saying i practice kung fu, i usually say " i practice a style of chinese martial arts called Choy Lay Fut" unfortunately that usually leads to a history story of choy lay fut, kung fu, difference between kung fu/ karate and all the other stuff. i figure the more i can explain, the more people will either become interested or they wont bother the next poor fool that practices kung fu that they talk to. :D

SPJ
06-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Choy Lay Fut is great. The 3 styles combined, you got wobbling huge collections of routines and weapon.

If people do not know what you are doing and seem be puzzled or intrigued, yes, you "educate" them.

I was in the audience watching in awe when young.

I frequented Taipei City park in the 60's.

I asked my father what are they doing in the park.

"They are practicing MA or Da Quan Tou."

What is that? "Tang Tui" huh? "bounce leg or kicking."

What is that? "Yang Tai Chi" huh? "move slowly and turn."

What is that? "7 star Mantis" huh? "the mantis catches bugs."

What---

OOH.

I was only 6.

:D

SPJ
06-02-2005, 08:18 PM
I used to live in Apt in South Jersey.

I practiced Tai Chi and swordplay in the morning. My neighbors knew that it is Tai Chi like Yoga. I said yes you are correct. I am meditating and exercising. I never mentioned that I am also fighting.

I practiced Ba Ji, Mantis and staff. Guess what. They know I am fighting or practicing to fight.

I usually picked a quiet corner in the park.

Crowds gathered. I am not bothered. I continued. When finished, just walk away.

At one time, a group of kids started to yell Haa yah on my moves. I continued. When I was done, they knew by my closing stance. And they clapped hands.

And yes, I had to take a bow and walked away.

If you are not comfortable, when a huge crowd starts to gather, just walk away. When I did that, people just sighed and regretted that they would have to come early or miss out.

OH, I usually wear the loose fit Tang clothes, when I practice.

At one time, 2 policemen watched my straightsword play for 45 min without any interruptions. I explained to them that it is a practice sword with dull edges. It is not a weapon. With radio noises, they did not ask for backup. "Have a good day." So that said. Next time around, they just enjoyed watching me and said hello.

I was told that I would have got arrested by having a weapon in the public place including parks and beaches.

So always ask around I was told.

People may call 911 and report that someone is wielding a weapon in the park.

:D

Palmer
06-02-2005, 09:29 PM
If people do not know what you are doing and seem be puzzled or intrigued, yes, you "educate" them.

Whatever floats your boat if I think they are "puzzled or intrigued" maybe I'll take your advice if they start the chop chops at me I'll go look for a six year old to talk too.....

MasterKiller
06-02-2005, 09:51 PM
It was 10:00 PM when I finally got my daughter to sleep tonight. She's very active and I was wiped from chasing her around the pool all day. My wife was being lazy, crashed out on the sofa in her panties and a half-shirt, reading a fashion magazine. I almost just went to bed, but I needed to make my lunch for tomorrow first.

But instead I put on my shoes and went out in my backyard. It was about 65 degrees and there's a lightning storm going on. I went through 5-Stance twice to loosen up, then another small form called Bo Stance Variations. After that, I went half-speed through all 13 rows of my Tan Tui, and then full speed through my 10 Flower Fist forms. I was tired, but I walked through Yi Lu Mai Fu and Er Lu Mai Fu.

The whole time I'm out there, my neighbor, who is 27, is sitting on his porch drinking a beer and smoking, occassionally talking to me when I stop to breathe between forms.

So I'm thinking, what's the difference between him and me? He's doing what most normal people do at 10:00 at night, and I'm out in my backyard working Kung Fu forms...

Am I more athletic? Not really. I played football in highschool but didn't start. When I started Kung Fu I was horribly out of shape and was just looking for some exercise. I've had to work twice as hard as most of my kung fu brothers to gain the kind of atheleticism they were born with.

Am I a fitness freak? No. I try to stay in shape, and do I follow a somewhat regimented diet and workout program, but there are lots of people that spend much more time and effort working out. Plus, I have a sweet-tooth the size of 7*s pee-pee.

Am I just a martial arts nerd? Possibly. I know more about Star Wars than most people care to. Me and my training buddy went to a midnight Wal-Mart toy run for EP III toys. But there were other geeks there, some older than me, and they wouldn't spend their time doing forms, and I was certainly in better shape.

Am I living a kung fu fantasy Maybe. I love kung fu movies, especially one's about Shaolin. I run around on message boards all day at work calling myself MasterKiller. But then again, when my school changed it's curriculum, I left and went somewhere where I would get hit hard, and be the low man on the totem pole, so fantasy isn't everything...

Do I have Yellow Fever I don't think so. I've dated Asian girls, but my wife is a Puerto Rican girl from the Bronx. I know more about Chinese history than I do American history, but I don't have any Chinese items in my house except my kung fu weapons, and they are tucked away in my closet, out of sight.

Am I a wannabe toughguy? I hope not. I talk a lot of smack online, but in my real life I'm about the most laid back person you'd come across. I hardly ever talk about my successes in sparring, or brag about my skill. I even stopped a form tonight because I almost squashed a June Bug.

Am I more spiritual? I don't think so. I do read a lot of compartive religion books, but I was doing that way before I started Kung Fu and I'm not very religious. I do consider myself spiritual, but I know plenty of people who live their spirituality more closely than I do.

So what's the difference? Nothing really...I'm a pretty normal guy, maybe even a little geeky. Except for 30 minutes tonight, while most people were asleep, or watching TV, or playing video games, or staring at the wall, I went out in backyard and worked my Kung Fu.

But man, what a difference that 30 minutes makes in my life...

lkfmdc
06-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Americans are truly the least educated human beings on the planet, so I never tell an American what I do.....

My original in-laws were Chinese, they just thought I was a member of some organized crime organization (partly because I went to On Leong banquets, but honestly, it was innocent!)

My only consolation in life is my current in-laws, KOREAN. Every Korean male has done either TKD or Judo, many have also boxed. They watch wrestling on TV and the entire culture is combat sport oriented. I've never been treated as nicely and with an educated appreciation in my life....

Moral of the story, marry a Korean

neit
06-02-2005, 11:14 PM
only my boss (the guy who writes my work schedule) needs to know about kung-fu. otherwise i list my hobby as "working out". "sorry i've got kung-fu class" is a good excuse not attend social gatherings though. i use it as much as possible.

omarthefish
06-03-2005, 01:47 AM
No offense meant Ray, but it's kind of funny when a guy gets uncomfortable about being looked at like a piece of meat. I've learned that the best solution to something like this (only if she is reasonably attractive) is to:
1. Hump them
2. Leave them
3. Never talk to them again

Since this lady was older, you have to do the next best thing. Hump her daughter.

Works every time!

I hate that. I mean REALLY hate that. There should be a law allowing martial artists to kick those people in the head.

I think this is the best advice so far.

But for me....doesn't bother me any more. Why should it? Most people think it's cool regardless of their general ignorance. In fact, the more the years go on, the more I like it when people do "the kung fu thing" chop chop ....Ki-YAIY!!!.

[actual converasation]

"So you're like....a black belt. Right?

"Yep. Just like one."

"Could you like, uh...kill me with one blow?"

"hm.....If you promised to hold really still...."

Other favorites include:

"Wow man. You could probably beat up 4 or 5 people at once couldn't you?"

"That depends on which 4 or 5 people. 4 or 5 people like you?...yeah. Probably."

Really, these conversations are fun as hell. I don't see why anyone cares. I think I used to care myself but that was probably just my own insecurity coming out. The honest fact it that most people think it's cool. They think your "one of those ultimate fighter guys? Awsome! I'd love to be mistaken for someone fighting competitively at that level. They think your a Jet Li type badass? Even better. Do you have any idea how cool he is? They have their own insecurities and say, "Yeah but it I had a gun . . ."? Kick out their legs and slap an RNC on them so fast they don't have time to scratch their a$$ and ask them, "well...do you have a gun? And where is it now?" And if your not good enough for that just laugh and tell the truth, "IF you had/have a gun...yeah." So? Like I really care "if you have a gun..." What if I have a gun? Big deal.

If someone challenges me and get's all uppity asking me what do I need "that stuff" for anyways I'll tell them I don't. I do it because it's cool :cool: and I love it. Why do I need a reason anyways.

Half the time I'm the one doing the 'chop chop Aieeyahh!' noises anyways.

"You do kung fu?"

"HaYAH! **** straight. Wanna fight?" <-------you have to ham it up on this one.

Get over it.

Liokault
06-03-2005, 04:13 AM
I don't think you can to non-MA. What we do is looked at as silly, exotic or crazy. .

What we do, is in turns silly, exotic and indeed crazy. There is still no way to justify the time we spend training to the benifit you get and the injurys you pick up.

Judge Pen
06-03-2005, 05:15 AM
Nice perspective MK.

SevenStar
06-03-2005, 09:04 AM
My only consolation in life is my current in-laws, KOREAN. Every Korean male has done either TKD or Judo, many have also boxed. They watch wrestling on TV and the entire culture is combat sport oriented. I've never been treated as nicely and with an educated appreciation in my life....

Until now, I never really thought about it, but yes, every korean male I know has done either tkd or judo. I don't know any who have boxed though. All of the females I know have been manicurists at some time or another.

Mutant
06-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Korean women are HOT :p

Mutant
06-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I really could care less what other people think about krotty, kung fooy, rice/crotch-rockets or even coffee ice cream for that matter. You just need to have thick skin and a sense of humor about things, especially things you can't control.

Some negative stereotypes in society are worth fighting for and making a stand every time. Martial arts is not one of them that overly concerns me, and i'll save those battles for the mats or ring.

I generally avoid any martial arts discussions in public, and if someone 'heard i do krotty', i usually tell them its just healthy excercise/fitness like yoga and use tai chi as an example. I may talk sh!t on the forums at times, but in public i never want to come off as a tough-guy and happily play the geek role, because that is probably closer to what I am. And I actually enjoy the inevitable banter over goofy martial arts stereotypes that most people have. they crack me up. I know it well and play along with the routine like its a game. Having a spontaneous laugh and smile with someone is more productive than scaring or bewildering them, and probably does more to help with their preconcieved image of martial artists anyway.

Most people are never going to start thinking of us as these knoble scholar/warrior beings, and theyre probably right. What we do is eccentric. Fun, healthy and rewarding, but definately not the most productive thing in modern society, from most peoples point of view. To change that point of view, you would have to change society. I suppose we could all embark on a coordinated PR campain, but then we're just buying into it society ourselves, and i don't think that would change much in the long run anyway. Would probably just make it seem even more superficial. Most people are just spouting off their own insecurities when they make fun of martial arts.... feeling the need to squash them is just playing into your own.

Sometimes you do meet people who you see a point in really getting into things with and ed-u-ma-cating and they often end up wanting to sign up. And as was stated, if you really feel the need to shut someone up, just tell they you do full-contact chinese boxing.

TonyM.
06-03-2005, 02:09 PM
All of the before mentioned made me decide not to tell people I practice or train anything. Mostly because it's a waste of time. I'll even go as far as dodging the question if I can. If I can't I explain that I would rather not discuss it. I feel it's like telling folks were you keep your weapons, jewelry, money ect. The last time I discussed anything martial was with a customer at work that was commenting on his eighteen years in Aikido. He insisted on demonstrating and of course with thirty eight years of training he was unable to do anything with me, resulting with him being embarrased and me being annoyed. When I do any Tui Na work on people and they ask me what it is I just say something someone showed me. Overall I think people need to educate themselves on topics of interest if they want to discuss something. I don't appreciate being someones homework tudor.

PangQuan
06-03-2005, 02:40 PM
This topic is almost completely redundant. Everyone will have a different take. Myself, I enjoy sharing knowledge and am pleased when I can use what I possess to help others.

People need someone to educate them if they seek education, not one person here has achieved any level of skill without someones help.

fa_jing
06-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Chuck Norris sucks as a martial artist? OK, new thread's a comin'. :D