PDA

View Full Version : Similarities between Wing Chun and Southern Praying Mantis

r4cy
06-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi :

I was reading some information about southern praying mantis. Does anyone know what are the diferences and similarities between wing chun and mantis? Both being southern styles. Please skip being a philosopher, just straight to the point.

bonetone
06-02-2005, 05:36 PM
sIMILARITIES: THEY BOTH PUNCH, KICK AND PARRY.

differences: one is called southern preying mantis, the other is called wing chun.

Check out this spm website, there's alot of demo clips, pictures, etc.

http://www.bambootemple.com/default.htm

bong
06-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Here's an obvious one.

Bong sao is a no-no in SPM.

r4cy
06-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Really? Any Idea of why the reject Bong Sao? Can anyone esplain if SPM has a centerline theory? What's the philosophy behind SPM?

Redd
06-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Really? Any Idea of why the reject Bong Sao? Can anyone esplain if SPM has a centerline theory? What's the philosophy behind SPM?

Um, it might have something to do with mimicking a preying mantis. Have you ever seen a preying mantis bong sao?

duende
06-02-2005, 11:05 PM
There are many similarities... As there are similarities between many many Southern Chinese MA's.

It just depends on how deep you want look. Some find all they want to know in pictures... other's look for true knowledge and seek real first hand experience.

Bong Sau??? The art of WC is much more than just the technique of Bong Sau!

This was posted on HFY108.com by OP108WC, and has alot of interesting info!

http://www.hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=702&highlight=southern+praying+mantis

stonecrusher69
06-03-2005, 06:11 AM
SPM uses a lot of suck and split energy with strong ging.they place a lot of work on delevoping a strong root.the hands are very similiar to W.C. with a different flavor.One thing SPM does that WC does not do(as far as I know) they is they use the ribs to develope rib power.Also SPM hunches the body forward some what to make it harder to get through there centerline.They cover it up better then we do.This is what it seems to me..

bonetone
06-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Some basic spm feeling hands:

http://www.bambootemple.com/tng070.htm

SPM in a nutshell:

http://www.bambootemple.com/sx100001.htm

Jim Roselando
06-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Quick Hello,

South Mantis has a lot of similarities to WCK but the body structure is more Hard Bow. They train a lot of Mantis Chi Sao and have a lot of (Tsai Shu) Pot Stirring internal strengthening sets and other methods to strenghten the body/bridge. The bone/rib usage is what they (or I was told) call:
Dip Gwat Gong!

Bong Sao?

Although it may not be called Bong Sao they have their version which is called:

Sigh Shu

A bit different but no doubt their version of Bong!

bong
06-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Sifu Louie Jack Man has his forearm almost parallel to the ground
and his force is forward.

WC bongsao has the hand much lower than the elbow and
closer to the body.

The technique, use and energy are different.

Zhuge Liang
06-04-2005, 05:21 AM
Hi,

Sifu Louie Jack Man has his forearm almost parallel to the ground
and his force is forward.

WC bongsao has the hand much lower than the elbow and
closer to the body.

The technique, use and energy are different.

Aside from the fact that he's doing it at a longer range, it looks pretty close to how we use it. He even has his other hand ready to lop. The shape of the bong probably does not matter as much as the intent behind it. Of course, I could be wrong in how I'm interpreting the picture. However, the way we do it, intent of a bong is forward as well.

Regards,
Alan

r4cy
06-05-2005, 10:38 PM
I looked in www.bambootemple.com and it answered all I needed to know. teher's a lot of good information. As a matter of fact It even tought me more than I wanted to know lol!! It seems to me it has a good aproach for realistic self-defense and combat. I think ya'll ought read it too. Being a Wing Chun practitioner
I say there's also a lot to learn fro this method too.

Phil Redmond
06-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi :

I was reading some information about southern praying mantis. Does anyone know what are the diferences and similarities between wing chun and mantis? Both being southern styles. Please skip being a philosopher, just straight to the point.
JLM has similar footwork to WC and they also have Chi Sao. There is even a fuhk/huen sau movement is their chi sau but so does Bak Mei and Lung Ying (Dragon). It's something common to Southern styles.
PR