PDA

View Full Version : Boston SanDa KungFu - OPEN

Mutant
06-03-2005, 12:35 PM
On my way out the door to pick up Occupancy Permit for new gym space at Boston Planning/Zoning Dept.
:D :D :D :D :D

So we are now Officially open for business!
Boston SanDa KungFu
80 Bedford Street, 2nd (top) Floor
Boston
Near S.Station and Downtown Crossing on edge of Chinatown & Financial District.
Offer SanDa , will also be starting traditional Tai Chi Chuan classes, some Wushu classes (mostly for kids) and Capeiroa (better learn to spell it soon..) classes in September.

See website for details - www.boston-kickboxing.com or www.marvinperry.org
Class tonight at 6:30
Feel free to stop by!

-Chris

SaekSan
06-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Congratulations!

Wishing you and your school much luck and prosperity!!!

:) :) :)

lkfmdc
06-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Dear lord, another fake San Da place run by a FOB Chinese guy who was a dish washer back home! Do we really need another one of these

:D :p :D :p :p :D :eek: :p :D

Mutant
06-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Do we really need another one of these

Like a hole in the head, i suppose... :D
(which may very well happen when i spar Marvin :eek: )

We're all very psyched though! :)

Mutant
06-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Wishing you and your school much luck and prosperity!!!

Thank you SaekSan! :)

shuaichiao
06-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Offer SanDa , will also be starting traditional Tai Chi Chuan classes, some Wushu classes (mostly for kids) and Capeiroa (better learn to spell it soon..) classes in September.

-Chris
what kind of wushu? Traditional or contemporary. Who's teaching that class?

lkfmdc
06-03-2005, 04:12 PM
it's about time you guys got a new space open, I mean, it was way too weird having NO Boston fighters at San Da events, sort of like X-mas with no Catholics, or a Bar-B-Q with no meat :p

Mutant
06-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Yep. We're baaaaaack, mwahahbahahaha >:-)

rogue
06-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Congratulations Mutant that's great. :)

Mutant
06-03-2005, 06:17 PM
what kind of wushu? Traditional or contemporary. Who's teaching that class?

Contemporary wushu for now (not my personal favorite...) but we may add traditional down the road (we have a sort of eclectic mix of different traditional CMA backgrounds) once we get settled in and develop the program more.

The wushu class will be a beginner class to start off, taught by Ming Tung (one of Yao's old instructors) . Ming has been talking to one of Nick Gracenin's top guys about coming to Boston to take over that role, and he even spoke with Nick when he was in town last month about some kind of collaboration. We're really still working out the details and schedule for the non-sanda programs and trying to figure out what will work and be successful. We're open to imput too, any comments or suggestions from you guys would be helpful.

Mutant
06-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Congratulations Mutant that's great. :)
Thanks rogue, I really appreciate that :)

Akhilleus
06-03-2005, 07:11 PM
We're open to imput too, any comments or suggestions from you guys would be helpful.

How are you guys w/ kids? If you don't have much experience in dealing with them, I can send give you a whole messload of tips...I'm no power ranger, but I'm pretty good w/ them...what ages is the wushu open to?

Mutant
06-03-2005, 08:57 PM
How are you guys w/ kids? If you don't have much experience in dealing with them, I can send give you a whole messload of tips...I'm no power ranger, but I'm pretty good w/ them...what ages is the wushu open to?

Hey man, thanks. :D

Actually, none of us really have much experience dealing with them... I taught a weekend kids kungfu class for a while like 8 years ago, and i recall that it was kinda fun, kinda frustrating, and kinda pointless because there was only one kid that got anything at all out of it. I was doing it as a favor for someone and bailed as soon as I could.

Not sure about the exact ages yet, i guess whatever age the moms are willing to pay us to teach. Probably around 8-12??? It will be an afternoon class before the real stuff starts. I may help on the weekends, and my wife may help with some of the kids stuff sometime too. I think Marvin might actually teach the class for a while, at least to start off. Now that could be interesting, LOL!

We'll also have lunchtime cardio-based class too, for the worker-bees downtown.

Yeah Akhilleus, any tips you could give me (us) would be great!
You could PM me if you don't feel like describing all your diaper-kungfu tricks to the board :D

Akhilleus
06-03-2005, 09:34 PM
i recall that it was kinda fun, kinda frustrating, and kinda pointless because there was only one kid that got anything at all out of it.

LOL...tell me about it...but there are ways to make it less frustrating, and have them get more out of it...coincidentally, I had to type up a bunch of ideas for a kids' program anyway for a meeting I have coming up for one of the school's I teach at...I'll send you a copy, hopefully this weekend...I've been teaching kids for years so I've learned a lot by trial and error, and by talking to some of the most succesful people in the business, but I still have a lot to learn...

Shaolin Dude
06-03-2005, 09:40 PM
is there a beef between yao and jason yee. My friend told me they did. I just thought jason wanted his own place when we moved.

Mutant
06-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Hey Akhilleus, man would be great!
Thats really nice of you and very much appreciated..... :)

Mutant
06-03-2005, 10:46 PM
is there a beef between yao and jason yee. My friend told me they did. I just thought jason wanted his own place when we moved.

I shouldnt get into personal stuff between them cause its not my business and i respect them both... but i suppose its no big deal saying it, because theres no problem between Jay and Yao at all from what i know, theyre still close friends and probably always will be. No beef there with those two. In fact, I'm quite sure your friend is wrong about that.

I think the schools get along good still. In fact, we'll probably try to maintain some sort of working relationship or collaboration between schools for training, events, etc. A couple of our guys are still covering the sanshou classes there and we have a few students that go back and forth. When the lease ran out on the old place, we did look into getting a new space together, but we couldnt find a suitable space big enough for an affordable cost to maintain how it was (you know how expen$ive Boston real estate is..), we were going to have to comprimise time and space big-time... Yao's new place is nice, but we could never all fit there, as we needed to grow and we were going to have to move to like half the time and space, and we just can't train competitive fighters like that training 2 or 3 nights a week, we need a lot of space for the whole week at peak hours. We really couldnt comprimise and stay competitive. Now we can concentrate on the sanshou/sanda and fill in the other hours with the other stuff, not the other way around. So it was really just a matter of practicality arising from the cost of local real estate market. But it is fun having our own gym now :p

Regards,
Chris

BAI HE
06-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Congrats Mutant! Good locale. You got 2 great bars there:
Foley's and the Good Life. Good Life's pizza and Martini's are
the ****.

Foley's is the Ol' Irish pint shack with a good lunch as well.
****, all I think about is booze and food in my old age. :D

Again good luck. Hopefully you'll draw a lot of prospective students from
the surrounding Financial District. Great spot.

BTW - Do you know of anyone in Boston who leases gym space?

BTW # 2 - I found out a few days ago that Mr. Tao lives across the street and is friends with my Grandmother. Friggin' strange. A guy like that right under my nose.

shuaichiao
06-05-2005, 03:58 AM
Contemporary wushu for now (not my personal favorite...) but we may add traditional down the road (we have a sort of eclectic mix of different traditional CMA backgrounds) once we get settled in and develop the program more.

That's cool. A buddy of mine was trainning there for a while, not sure if he still is. We did kung fu together for a long time so I was wondering if he was involved in that but he wouldn't be teaching any contemporary stuff.

Mutant
06-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Congrats Mutant! Good locale. You got 2 great bars there:
Foley's and the Good Life. Good Life's pizza and Martini's are
the ****.

Foley's is the Ol' Irish pint shack with a good lunch as well.
****, all I think about is booze and food in my old age. :D

Again good luck. Hopefully you'll draw a lot of prospective students from
the surrounding Financial District. Great spot.

BTW - Do you know of anyone in Boston who leases gym space?

BTW # 2 - I found out a few days ago that Mr. Tao lives across the street and is friends with my Grandmother. Friggin' strange. A guy like that right under my nose.

Thanks man :)

As far as gyms that lease space... no not really. We looked into that ourselves as an option while we didnt have our own space, and didnt find much out there. A TKD school in Central Sq Cambridge considered sharing some space with us and then that didnt work out for some reason. Some of the Universities might lease some space. And my old wing chun sifu rented some space at the Reggie Lewis Center temporarily, but that was expensive.
Paul Rosado's Chinese Kickboxing gym in Roslindale might lease out some space, he said they were leasing some to some bjj guys, and that they were expanding soon and would have more room available. That may be worth checking out.

We may actually lease gym space at our new location on Bedford st. That is something we have been considering doing as part of our business plan since we decided to go this route. As soon as we finish putting together our own schedule we will have a better idea of what weekly blocks of time are available to lease out. If that is something that you or someone you know would consider, let me or SS-Guru know.

Yeah there are some great bars around there. Nothing like a good pint of Guiness after a workout, for chi cultivation purposes of course :D

Chris

mattburg111
06-06-2005, 07:21 PM
I am looking at colleges in boston and martial arts schools as well. I found the website for shifu Yao Li and saw that you guys were talking about him. I am wondering if he has a traditional school and if aslo he is a good teacher???? Thanks allot for your help.

Shaolin Dude
06-06-2005, 09:41 PM
I trained at yao's school for 3 years and I just recently left for personal reasons. He is a good teacher and he teaches personally. His school is mostly a wushu school with some tradtional mixed into it.

mattburg111
06-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Did he teach you practical application?? Is he compitent in what he teaches, becuase I have had bad experience over the years. Thanks

SevenStar
06-07-2005, 07:45 AM
congrats, man. Hopefully you have plenty of fun and success with the new school.

BAI HE
06-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks Mutant.
Now I have a place to refer people right
in Downtown Boston, I think you guys will do real
well.

I hear you about space.
There aren't too many places that lease out in
Boston. Kind of strange.

Actually I was looking for space to host a seminar on the last weekend
in July (Thurs-friday from 6-9 pm)
(Sat-Sun 10-5)
(Monday 6-9)

My Grand Teacher Laoshi Luo Dexiu of Taiwan (Yizong Bagua)
is coming into town and our normal space is just too far
away from public transportation.

If your interested at all you can PM me.

Again,
Best of luck in this venture.

Shaolin Dude
06-07-2005, 09:26 PM
you know what, find a different teacher. he doesn't know what he's doing. alot of times, he taught you a form, then stops teaching for no reason. that happened when I left. he was teaching me a tradtional monkey staff form then stop's without telling me why.

Mutant
06-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Did he teach you practical application?? Is he compitent in what he teaches, becuase I have had bad experience over the years. Thanks

He was never my sifu so I can't give complete feedback there.
I do know some people that got a lot from him, for example Jason Yee trained with him to compete in the world championships in china back in '91 which he won a bronze medal.

Yao knows a lot of stuff and has a broad background. He was a high level Wah Lum guy too before he opened his own place about 15 years ago, but then mostly teaches contemporary wushu forms with a mix of traditional exercises.
I suppose it depends on what exaclty you are looking for. There are lots of other TCMA schools in the area as well. Youre welcome to train san da with us if you wanted. Also good mma schools in there area. Let us know if you need more help finding a place to train.

Mutant
06-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks Mutant.
Now I have a place to refer people right
in Downtown Boston, I think you guys will do real
well.

I hear you about space.
There aren't too many places that lease out in
Boston. Kind of strange.

Actually I was looking for space to host a seminar on the last weekend
in July (Thurs-friday from 6-9 pm)
(Sat-Sun 10-5)
(Monday 6-9)

My Grand Teacher Laoshi Luo Dexiu of Taiwan (Yizong Bagua)
is coming into town and our normal space is just too far
away from public transportation.

Again,
Best of luck in this venture.
We are definately interested in leasing out space for seminars, have been all along because thats the kind of atmosphere and interaction we like to have. The one you are planning sounds very cool. Whether you had it at our place or not, you could send us a flyer we could post it at the school to advertise for you.

The hours you mention overlap with some of our peak class hours. The weekend would be fine (we may run a small class off to the side for a couple hours on saturday, or we may consider not hold class that saturday), but thursday and monday we have class most of those hours in the evening. And we have some classes on friday too. Also depends on the size of your seminar. We can probably fit 60+ people in there comfortably training simultaneously. We originally wanted to get a HUGE space where there could be multiple big classes going on, but this space was the best compromise. Its still a good size, about 2300 sf. If classes overlapped on thurs, friday or monday, we may be able to partition off, condense our size down and keep relatively mellow. I'll talk to my parners and see what they think about the schedule. I don't think there would be any problem with it if we could figure out a way to make it work during the week nights. If we shared the space with you during certain times we could provide a big discount during those hours. It is a great space, most of it is matted, the rest hardwood floors, lots of natural light from skylights and glass curtainwall w/ view overlooking that part of the city. If interested, you are welcome to come check out the space any time, just let me know when. I will be down there from about 6-10 tonight, sometime tomorrow night, and friday night, and most of the weekend. Or can be there whenever works for you. Think it over and see whether something like that could work for you.

Mutant
06-08-2005, 01:20 PM

Just noticed PM suggestion, if you'd prefer to follow up via PM thats fine too.

Mutant
06-08-2005, 01:25 PM
congrats, man. Hopefully you have plenty of fun and success with the new school.
Thanks a bunch SevenStar, we really appreciate the good word. :)
Yes, it should be a lot of fun!!!

BAI HE
06-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Mutant, thanks for the support on this one. It looks like my teacher found
a space at the Charles River Shiatsu school.

I still might be looking for the weeknight stuff though. So I'll stay in touch on that in the next couple of days.
I have the feeling you guys aren't gonna need to subsidise. :) You'll do well.
I'll definately stop by at some point and introduce myself.

I'll also send other seminar leads to you as I get them. There's also a Fred Astaire Dance studio that can be rented right around the corner from you
on South Street if you ever ned to run a seminar and not interfere with your regular business.

I work down at NEMC/Tufts Medical school and can put a 30 word avertisement in the Hospital/University wide newsletter.
Let me know if this would interest you.

Be well and thanks for your time and help with this matter.

best,
Pete

Mutant
06-08-2005, 08:29 PM
You bet Pete, thank you too for the suggestions. You can consider our space a back up plan for your seminar if the shiatsu place falls thru.
We may be interested in getting into that hospital news letter of yours, we're trying to figure out this whole marketing thing and that sounds like a good suggestion. Good luck with all the seminar planning, sounds like it will be well worth the efforts.
We'll be in touch,
Chris

BAI HE
06-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Cool.
There's also quite a gyms right in that in the area that would probably let you
post flyers or do "introductory night" type stuff as you are not competeing with their core business. (til' their customers realize they can get in really good shape via martial arts and fight training :D )

There's also a few local free rags like "Stuff" "Metro" and "Improper Bostonian" that everybody reads. Can't beat cheap advertising!
Craigslist.com is another great place to advertise. Soooo many people
read that site.

Take care,
Pete