PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Norris sucks as a Martial artist: agree/disagree?

fa_jing
06-03-2005, 03:13 PM
:cool: :p :) thoughts please.

fa_jing
06-03-2005, 03:20 PM
ok, can't edit the poll from here, but I'm sure we'll have %100 agreement anyway on the option I was going to post - that what'shername is still slamming and one hot mama, love to watch those Total Gym ads for hours on end.

FatherDog
06-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Total Gym is crap, and Chuck is a lousy, lousy actor. But he fought in Full Contact Karate tournaments back when that was pretty much it for non-boxing fights, and when the UFC demonstrated the necessity for a ground game he started training BJJ with the Machado brothers. He certainly doesn't suck as a martial artist.

IronFist
06-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Chuck Noris said one of the funniest quotes I've ever heard.

He said "Van Damme's about as good of a martial artist as I am an actor."

lol :D

I like Chuck Norris. The Total Gym is a piece of s.hit, but I think he's good at Karate, and he was especially good back in the day.

AndyM
06-03-2005, 05:21 PM
I can't judge the guy on what he does to make a living.
I can judge him on what he's acheived as an individual, and how he's used his name for good.

Go Chuck.

Wood Dragon
06-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Chucks done a -lot- of good in Texas, with his Kick Drugs martial arts program, as well as being a general positive role model.

He parlayed his skills into a successful career. A highly paid one, at that. Which means he's a better martial artist that 95% of the forum members.

Can he fight? I don't know. He was a champion back in the 1970s. If he's kept up his practice, he can probably handle himself.

anerlich
06-03-2005, 05:42 PM
He said "Van Damme's about as good of a martial artist as I am an actor."

I think he said that about David Carradine, not JCVD.

A champ back in the day, popularising MA through movies, keeping training all these times. Pretty cool IMO.

rogue
06-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Chuck is one of the greats. A serious martial artist who still had fun with his career.

AndyM
06-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Chuck is one of the greats. A serious martial artist who still had fun with his career.

Indeed.

I mean, can anyone else here say they had their chest hair pulled out in a clump and blown onto the Colloseum floor by Bruce Lee?

I rest my case.

P.S. Polls a load of crap btw.

Akhilleus
06-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Chuck is THE man...he is a great martial artist, not just because of his tournament achievements but also because of his other work (Kick Drugs out of America)...the woman I work for met him...

This is from a comic book I found under my bed...yeah I know I spelled "pw3ned" incorrectly...

Anthony
06-03-2005, 08:29 PM
First off, I'd like to say that I disagree mainly with the title of this thread because personally, I'm not judgemental of anyone's level of martial arts practice. How far one wants to go is up to them. As for Chuck, I don't think that he's pretended to be anything that he's not (more than I can say for alot of TCMA guys).

Why would anyone have to ask if Chuck sucks anyway (as if anyone on this forum has the right to judge...lol). He's accomplished a hell of alot more than most Chinese so-called "masters" who have no credentials whatsoever ( oh yeah....they beat many western boxers back when they were young.....yeah right!....don't seem to remember Jack Dempsey ever having any Chinese challengers).

I don't understand why someone like Chan Tai San immediately gets your respect (based on no proof that you've ever seen) while you have to ask yourselves whether some American who HAS proven himself sucks or not.

Why dont you ask if Tai Yim or Lily Lau sucks?

As for the total gym.....never tried it.

Brad
06-03-2005, 08:35 PM
This is from a comic book I found under my bed...yeah I know I spelled "pw3ned" incorrectly...
Attached Images OWNED.jpg (58.1 KB, 7 views)
Haha, crazy... I bought one Chuck Norris comic my entire life, and it's that exact same issue :D

bustr
06-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Chuck is a lousy, lousy actor. But he fought in Full Contact Karate tournaments...

A lousy person too. His show is an insult to all Southern working class people. Like his buddy "W", he's not from Texas but tries to pass himself off as one of us. I don't think he was ever a full contact fighter either. :D

Akhilleus
06-03-2005, 10:34 PM
I've let you all down...I turned my house upside down looking for my Chuck Norris action figures...I had like 3 different Chucks, that big sumo dude, and a few ninjas...I could not find them...but I haven't let that stop me from showing you some of the highlights from stuff that I DID find

Haha, crazy... I bought one Chuck Norris comic my entire life, and it's that exact same issue

Same here...what are the odds? Maybe they didn't make very many of them...looking through it, unfortunately there are no adds for lazer tag, just a few for Bonkers Chewy Candy (w/ that Hulk ripoff) and Party Popples?

...enjoy:

IronFist
06-03-2005, 10:52 PM
I think he said that about David Carradine, not JCVD.

Was it? Maybe I got it wrong.

CaptinPickAxe
06-04-2005, 01:32 AM
My uncle fought in a tournament against chuck....

He got the ever living 5hit beat out of him. I belive chuck can truely romp ass.

TaiChiBob
06-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Greetings..

Normally, i don't bother with these sorts of threads, but.. I have met Mr. Norris several times and was at the Battle of Atlanta when he was dominating his division.. he is a very capable fighter and shakes off a knockout hit that have most others eating canvas.. i own and use the Total Gym, it rocks.. it allows you to adjust position, resistance and range of motion at almost every level, it only needs a creative mind to realize its unefulness.. Mr. Norris "walks the walk", more than most..

Oh, it was JCVD he referenced in the abovementioned quote, during an interview with Howard Stern..

Be well..

bodhitree
06-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Strongly Agree.

TaiChiBob
06-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Greetings..

Chuck is not going to win any awards for acting, and he admits that.. but, i think his appeal is in the message he promotes.. kind of a western WuDe..

cjurakpt: considering the original post and this follow-up..
it's interesting how many of you have the time to get indignant over something so peripheral to the post and to this forum in general It is equally "interesting" that anyone has the time to be concerned with Chuck's acting ability or to suppose that anyone else does either.. and, by the way, your title of the thread is contrary to the clarification you have just introduced.. so, i have to wonder what the actual motive of this thread is.. My own motive for replying was to offer personal insight of a man that was taking some unfounded criticism from other posters.. Now, i think i'm just hearing voices from under the bridge..

Be well..

TaiChiBob
06-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Greetings..

cjurakpt: Humble apologies, i was mistakenly under the impression you had started this thread.. which may justify a certain criticism of my reading skills.. However, Mr. Ross' criticism of my reading skills was as misplaced as his ego.. he simply failed to communicate in a reasonably logical manner..
c) so, if you're going to try to be clever with smarmy comments like "voices under the bridge" (what does that mean ANYWAY? good grief - at least make allusions to things that are culturally contextual), I suggest you be a bit more circumspect in your analysis of the text in question... Well, here' a hint.. did you ever read "Billy Goat Gruff"? An applicable allusion to themes like someone's acting ability..

I now consider this thread deceased.. Be well..

AndyM
06-04-2005, 04:58 PM
In summary.

cjurakpt made some flippant comments abour Chuckie on another thread, a thread most of those responding to thisthread are unaware of (myself included).

This could potentially end up in a flame fest, or we could all let it die, and move on to more productive topics?

cjurakpt clearly did not wish his comments re Chuck Norris to be interpreted outside of the context of the thread he posted them in originally.

This is a '**** stirring' Troll thread, which should die a quick death.

Shaolinlueb
06-04-2005, 06:42 PM
man chuck was the man back in the day and has done a lot of positive stuff for kids, communities and had some good television shows. like someone said he hasnt tried to be something he's not. hes a good martial artist.

AndyM
06-04-2005, 06:45 PM
P.S. The End. :D

Mr Punch
06-04-2005, 07:47 PM
I always quite liked him myself. Like his movies too... I mean they're terrible but so are most movies you see, and although I can't say I like the way he moved too much at least they are MA movies! :D Pretty much like watching a Western, with even less intellectual engagement!

But as for all you people whinging about how he shouldn't be criticised, you should lighten up! EVERYBODY in the public sphere is criticised! And with movies as bad as his and the dodgy facial hair combo to boot, what the hell do you expect! :p

And LMAO off at whoever said that he'd made money doing what he did which made him a better MAist than 95% (or some other spurious figure) of us... whaaaaaat :confused: :D ! I didn't get into MA for making money, and I don't remember my gradings, blood and sweat being rated on money either... if it were about making money I would just go and use my superior MA skills to mug weak people! :eek: :rolleyes:

fa_jing
06-06-2005, 10:51 AM
"then for some reason, someone else decided to start another thread about my admittedly hasty comment"

Blood in the water! :p I'm just happy we have a major figure to debate that isn't Bruce Lee!

LOL at people making up arguements with me when I haven't said anything.

BTW, there were smilies at the beginning of this thread. If you disable smilies, maybe it is because you have something against smilies and the smilies attacked you in the woods when you were younger and you want to kill, kill, kill the smilies! :eek:

SevenStar
06-06-2005, 10:52 AM
man chuck was the man back in the day and has done a lot of positive stuff for kids, communities and had some good television shows. like someone said he hasnt tried to be something he's not. hes a good martial artist.

he had a few schools too. I used to train at one of them as a kid.

Akhilleus
06-06-2005, 11:09 AM
he had a few schools too. I used to train at one of them as a kid.

Really? That's cool! What was it like? Was he ever at the school?

SevenStar
06-06-2005, 04:21 PM
he came by, but I never seemed to be there when he did. I only heard about it. The place was NICE. there were two huge training areas (one on each side of the hall), each had a curtain to separate them, essentially making four training areas. There were men's and women's locker rooms in the back. They gave the parents a handbook/folder containing all of the techniques you needed to learn for a given rank. It also contained an attendance sheet you could fill out, so you could keep track of when threoretically, your child would be ready for a test. they would fail people though - I knew of a few who failed their tests. The facility was awesome. I liked the instruction as well.

PangQuan
06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
they would fail people though - I knew of a few who failed their tests.

thats good, i think. If you cannot perform what is required in a ranking invironment, you should not get promoted.

PangQuan
06-06-2005, 04:49 PM
I think Chuck has accomplished more in his martial carreer than most people ever will. He has influenced a great deal of people, and has promoted what he believes the entire way regardless of what people thought. He came from a rough childhood and made millions. Its the classic story, only he used martial arts to develop himself.

He is a lame actor, I think he is personally corny as he!!, but never-the-less, I will give the dude props for accomplishing what he did in his lifetime.