PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu in Louisville

yu shan
06-06-2005, 06:38 AM
I have recently been told by a student he is moving to Louisville, Kentucky. Any information on schools in this area? In a perfect world, Mantis would be nice. I got a feeling he is heading into Shaolin Do country though. Thank you in advance.

Jim

Judge Pen
06-06-2005, 08:55 AM
I have recently been told by a student he is moving to Louisville, Kentucky. Any information on schools in this area? In a perfect world, Mantis would be nice. I got a feeling he is heading into Shaolin Do country though. Thank you in advance.

Jim

Yep, there's a SD school there. Don't know about the other schools in the area. I know some people there, so I'll ask if there's a mantis school or other kung fu there (besdies the SD).

sean_stonehart
06-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I dunno how far Bowling Green is from Louisville, but this is there at least...

http://www.shaolinarts-ky.net/

Judge Pen
06-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Here's what my friend said:

"I don't know of anyone teaching Mantis, but that doesn't mean there's not some little old Chinese guy teaching in his garage. Louisville is McDojo hell. There aren't any legit Chinese MA teachers here with the exception of a Hung Gar guy."

If your guy is interested in the Hung Gar, I'll get the information.

MonkeySlap Too
06-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Try Impact Academy - run by my friend Mike Casto. He's mostly an FMA guy, with a heavy dose of Kun Tao. He's a really coach, if your student does not minf crossing the cultural bias divide...

oasis
06-06-2005, 04:44 PM
hm...that bowling green school states that it teaches southern mantis in the intermediate curriculum.

and this (http://www.shaolinarts-ky.net/birthdays.cfm) is classic:
"Your Birthday Child will get to cut their cake like a Kung Fu Master... WITH A SAMURAI SWORD!
Your child will also get to wear an honorary Black Sash For The Day!"
:p

Judge Pen
06-07-2005, 06:18 AM
hm...that bowling green school states that it teaches southern mantis in the intermediate curriculum.

and this (http://www.shaolinarts-ky.net/birthdays.cfm) is classic:
"Your Birthday Child will get to cut their cake like a Kung Fu Master... WITH A SAMURAI SWORD!
Your child will also get to wear an honorary Black Sash For The Day!"
:p

Kind of like the Chef's hat they give you at the Hibachi grill.

sean_stonehart
06-07-2005, 06:47 AM
Hey I was never vouching for the business practices... only that they were there! :p

The head of their org is from Bucksam Kong's school. I based my mentioning the school on that merit. Bucksam Kong is top notch Hung Ga. The rest I can't comment on.

I'd heard of the Hung Ga guy there in Louisville. I think he was associated with Don Hamby (Bucksam Kong guy). If it's the same guy, he had a website (a year or so ago) but then it went away & I haven't seen it since.

Frogman
06-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Kind of like the Chef's hat they give you at the Hibachi grill.
That's to good!!! :D

yu shan
06-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Appreciate everyones info. I`ll have Adam read this and wish him the best.

BM2
06-07-2005, 08:48 AM
The Hung Gar guy is in a gym located on the east side of Louisville. Think there was a school associated with Dr. John Ng somewhere and a few Tai Chi groups one of which was weird but then again they may have thought the same thing about me. A Shaolin-Do school on the southside.