PDA

View Full Version : anyone know a good place to study in Boston MA

mattburg111
06-06-2005, 07:10 PM
I am looking for a place to study traditional kung fu in boston, If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

KungFu Krissy
06-06-2005, 08:59 PM
How about here:

http://www.bostonwahlum.com/

:)

Shaolin Dude
06-06-2005, 09:36 PM
I just joined wah lum 3 weeks ago

SaMantis
06-07-2005, 08:06 AM
I'm a Wah Lum student in Boston, too -- so of course I'd say, check us out first!

However, there are soooo many good traditional schools here, I encourage you to visit several before settling on one. Master Yang (Jwing Ming) and Master Bow Sim Mark are 2 who come to mind immediately. Also, Master Calvin Chin (up in Newton I believe). Just for a start.

At any rate, you're welcome to come and visit Boston Wah Lum. Check the website for our class times, then you can come up, watch a class, and talk with an instructor. :)

Shaolinlueb
06-07-2005, 10:04 AM
for good traditional SaMantis got it pretty much nailed. I would mention Yao Li too, but i dont know if he does traditional anymore. think its all modern wushu.
one of my kung fu brothers has a gym out in boston area, but i dont know if he is teaching any of the longfist eagleclaw, probably not.

mattburg111
06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks so much, I have heard of yao Li and his siite does say that he does traditional stuff as well as modern. Since there are so many good traditional schools in bsoton where can i best find a listing of them. Thanks again. Also it seems like many people do wah lum are they traditional?? Is wah lum a good school??

Shaolinlueb
06-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks so much, I have heard of yao Li and his siite does say that he does traditional stuff as well as modern. Since there are so many good traditional schools in bsoton where can i best find a listing of them. Thanks again. Also it seems like many people do wah lum are they traditional?? Is wah lum a good school??

the wah lum boston kids are good. ive seen a couple of their advanced perform and they were good. finding a listing? the phonebook my man. just call and ask questions and see what which one you like the best.

Shaolin Dude
06-07-2005, 09:39 PM
those traditional forms in yao's website are just advertisement. He knows them, but he rarely teaches it. he's been trying to teach some forms he learned from vcd's.
let me give you some examples. these traditional forms are the ones I've seen him teach

lian bu quan, shortstaff, tiger crane, plum flower fist, northern shaolin straight sword, fan, soul chaser staff, daggers, double straight swords

Mutant
06-08-2005, 01:44 PM
There are actually a bunch of traditional schools around chinatown (and other parts of boston too), many of them are either underground or nearly underground so you probably won't find them all in the phonebook. I would advise going to some festivals in chinatown, like dragonboat, or new years, and looking around. Just recently i've met people from schools i didnt even know existed, they come out of the woodwork.

Mutant
06-08-2005, 01:46 PM
The schools the other guys suggested above are all good too. And youre always welcome to stop by our gym. Lots in Boston, depends on what youre looking for exactly, lots of options and you can't go too wrong.

mattburg111
06-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Are they undergropund in the sense that they don't allow non asians or that they don't want the mass public messing with the tradition of their martial arts???

mattburg111
06-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Are there any shaolin monks in boston like in NY

Mutant
06-10-2005, 04:31 AM
'Underground' schools may be just small private clubs, groups that don't advertise, simple as that. Others might be triads/gangs/benevolent societies or who knows... If we knew what the deal was, they probably wouldnt be considered underground, right? :rolleyes:

Don't know of any Shaolin mOnks teaching around here. If youre interested in monks for some reason, there is a Taoist Monk, Kwan Sihung, who supposedly grew up training at Wudang and other Taoist monostaries, he is a real charactor, teaches in the Boston COmmon park early Sunday mornings. He mostly teaches chigung and meditations, but he has lots of other cool kungfu forms too. Doubt he would teach you how to fight though. Come see us if you want to do that ;)

SaMantis
06-10-2005, 10:50 AM
mattburg111, our school is doing a dragon dance & demo at the Dragon Boat Festival this Sunday. Here's the link:

bostondragonboat.org (http://www.bostondragonboat.org/) So you can see some of the Wah Lum forms while noshing on some good Asian food, which is not a bad way to do it. :cool:

northernArts
06-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Wah Lum and YMAA are great. I considered YMAA a couple of years ago until I discovered that I would have to train in fujian white crane as well as longfist. You can't just learn the longfist forms at his school and I have no interest in southern kung fu.

Recently two schools in cambridge have caught my attention:

Jiann Shyong (http://www.jiannshyong.com/) & Huan's Tai Chi (http://huanstaichi.meteorriver.com/)

Both schools have impeccable lineage and offer arts that are top level. Jiann Shyong offers northern shaolin(complete system and read the page to see about lineage) and plum blossom mantis.

Huan Zhang offers many different forms of external kung fu from the Chin Woo tradition. He allows people to specialize at advanced levels and he knows the Hua Shan boxing system(check to see his lineage and about who his dad was) among other things.

Enjoy.

mattburg111
06-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks a lot, I am currently really interested in studying under bow sim mark but the school u mentioned also seem interesting, it is just that it would be easier for me to stay in boston, and Sifu mark also seems very qualified. Thanks very much

SanShou Guru
06-14-2005, 04:22 AM
Better check to see how long she is still going t be in Boston. The rumor i sthat she is going to retire and move to CA to be with her son.

Buddy
06-14-2005, 05:26 AM
I studied with Sifu Mark many years ago for several years. She's a great teacher but teaches performance art not martial art. We have a baguazhang class down in Plymouth on Saturdays.

Ford Prefect
06-14-2005, 05:44 AM
Also from what I heard when I was investigating TMA schools is that Jian Shyong does not spar.

mattburg111
06-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Does YMAA teach weapons, and also does sifu Yang teach all the classes??