PDA

View Full Version : Tuition?

spryte
06-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Let me start by saying I know nothing about Kung Fu. I have a 7 y/o son that could use help with self control and a 12 y/o daughter that needs to work out and was having confidence issues with bullies, so I signed them up for Kung Fu. (Shaolin/Eagle Claw studio)

My question is regarding tuition. When I signed them up, I paid $600 (total for both) to get through their orange belts. Now that they are approaching that goal, it's time to select another membership plan. The one I'm looking at will give each child unlimited classes (they currently go twice/week) and take them through their black belts. That plan is about $11000 total for both. If they decide to drop their training, they can return to the studio at any time to continue at no additional charge. At first, I assumed there would be a per/month charge or something like that. The price does not include clothes or weapons (that plan costs a lot more!) or sashes.

Also, I thought since they 'earned' sashes, that there would be no charge. But I do have to pay for sashes as they earn them.

Is this the norm? Or at least in the ball park? I have nothing to compare it to. The studio is also very conveniently located, so that is a plus.

Both kids love it so far!

I'd really appreciate any input you can offer.

Thanks!!
Spryte

MasterKiller
06-07-2005, 12:42 PM
$11,000???? :eek:

I would say average tuition shouldn't be more than $50-100 month per student, with $100 being pretty high.

For one kid ($5,500), you would be paying for about 4.5 years worth of lessons @ $100/month.

Is that amount up front before training begins?

I would be wary.

spryte
06-07-2005, 12:58 PM
That is the total for two kids... first kid full price... 2nd kid half price...
it works out to about $300/month (a car payment!!) for 3 years. It is payable monthly with no added interest.

They said it will probably take 3.5 - 4 years for my daughter (in adult classes) to earn her black belt... and that my son (7 y/o) in the child classes, will be able to attend the adult classes.

They seem to be learning the same things... is there a difference between a black belt for a child and an adult?

MasterKiller
06-07-2005, 01:01 PM
That is the total for two kids... first kid full price... 2nd kid half price...
it works out to about $300/month (a car payment!!) for 3 years. It is payable monthly with no added interest.

They said it will probably take 3.5 - 4 years for my daughter (in adult classes) to earn her black belt... and that my son (7 y/o) in the child classes, will be able to attend the adult classes. Sorry, I edited my above post due to my lack of reading comprehension....

They seem to be learning the same things... is there a difference between a black belt for a child and an adult? There shouldn't be.

spryte
06-07-2005, 01:03 PM
So $150/month for two students really isn't a bad price?

MasterKiller
06-07-2005, 01:07 PM
So $150/month for two students really isn't a bad price? I think it's kind of pricey IMO, but not that bad if the instruction is quality.

spryte
06-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks!

Do students typically pay for sashes as they earned? Or are they usually just earned?

MasterKiller
06-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Depends on the school. Some schools don't have a sash program, but normally the ones that do charge some sort of testing fees associated with sash promotion. My old school charges $20 for a test, but we didn't require uniforms and my Sifu supplied the practice weapons.

spryte
06-07-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm hoping I will be able to negotiate a better price! Thanks so much!

r.(shaolin)
06-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Black black / life time programs for 7 y/o or 12 y/o's ????

My advice - look elsewhere.

r.

spryte
06-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Black black / life time programs for 7 y/o or 12 y/o's ????

My advice - look elsewhere.

r.

Why is that?

David Jamieson
06-07-2005, 02:25 PM
pricing will vary, programs will vary.

there is instruction out there that can be as expensive or even more expensive than that.

If the instruction is of good quality and you can see obvious growth and improvemnet in your children, then all you have to ask yourself is:

Is it worth it to you and can you afford it?

Yes, there are a lot of classes out there that are cheaper and contain good quality instruction as well. But that's neither here nor there. If your kids are enjoying it where they are, if they are improving and developing their skill and you are ok with the price, then certainly keep it up.

after all, there are kids at the shaolin temple wushuguan who's skill surpasses a great deal of adults. lol :D

PangQuan
06-07-2005, 03:45 PM
do you have a web link to the school, im sure at those tuition rates they should have a nice website.

spryte
06-07-2005, 05:46 PM
I spoke with them tonight and got a MUCH better rate. :)

Rothrock's Kung Fu & Tai Chi Studio (http://www.rothrockskungfu.com/)

Thanks for all of your input!

oasis
06-07-2005, 06:17 PM
spryte,

in case you're interested in showing your children a glimpse of their 'sigung,' ie grandmaster, check out the second half of the clip on this page: http://espytv.com/eagleclaw.htm

"here kids, take a look at the old man that taught your teacher..." :)

good jobs for putting your kids into a kung fu program. more parents need to do the same!

spryte
06-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks so much!! I'll definitely show them!

Shaolinlueb
06-07-2005, 06:53 PM
tuition is always a sketchy question. how much is too much, how much is not enough. as long as they dont make you pay it all up at once. if thats the total over 3 years. it might be good. i dont know the area or what other instructors charge. and your kids have been there for a while so they like it, they didnt try to sell you it right away and doesnt sound like they are pressuring you. if you want to go for it, go.

Brad
06-07-2005, 08:13 PM
If you've got plenty of money and think the school looks good, go for it, but defenitely try and take some extra time to check out what else is available in the area. As for the buisness practices, there's no standards in kungfu for belts, testing, etc. so most schools are pretty much on their own figuring out how to make money. It's defenitely more expensive than most kungfu schools, but most kungfu schools don't make a lot of ca$h either :D

Brad
06-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Oh, and allways be careful and read any contract thuroughly before signing of course :p

batgirl
06-07-2005, 11:51 PM
$11000 is alot for 2 children, especially since they only go twice a week. Obviously their trying to lock you in long term which is not good for you since your kids are only 7 and 12. they may become disinterested in the near future and you'll be stuck with the contract. If you already signed a long term contract, you can cancell it anytime by getting a doctor to sign a note stating that they have an injury/illness which prevents your child from performing physical activity. read the fine print.

black sash for a child is a money making gimmick. charging for testing; another money making gimmick.

I believe that a school should make money but not gouge their students.

their teacher was married to cynthia rothrock so maybe your also paying for the name.

batgirl
06-08-2005, 12:18 AM
I forgot to mention: if your kids only train twice a week their never going to reach the advanced/"black sash level when they become adults." they have to train every day and with a passion for a very long time.

spryte
06-08-2005, 04:31 AM
Was Cynthia Rothrock married to Ernie Rothrock? I can't find marriage info in her bio.

I only found two articles on line that mention both of them.

http://www.personalfitness.com/EagleClawPages/ArticlesOnEagle.html

http://www.yingjowpai.com/sifushumhistory.html

spryte
06-08-2005, 05:50 AM
I did get a MUCH better price than my original post. And my 12 y/o, who is in the adult classes, can go as often as she likes.

Also... thanks for the tip about making sure that I can cancel incase of physical inability to continue training.

GeneChing
06-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Here in the SF Bay area, we're looking at an average of $75-150/month. I know other areas are much less expensive. As for belt/level tests, you'll find an extremely wide range in different schools. Some schools have the gall to charge, not only for belts, but also for a completely new uniform. I've heard tell of people paying $500-1000 just for a test, then being charged even more for the 'black belt' uniform. I find that a bit much - but there's a sucker born every minute, I suppose.

herb ox
06-08-2005, 04:53 PM
if you feel like you're being charged too much, then, well, you probably are.

Children's martial arts programs are a HUGE moneymaker and often they use these contractual agreements to get the cash out of the parents up front since the attrition rate is pretty high. Just keep your eyes open and your ears sharp. Ask the other parents whose children have been enrolled for a few years how they feel about the school and the rates.

good luck

herb ox

ngokfei
06-08-2005, 11:13 PM
$150 a month for 2 people is "excellent"

don't know about signing such a long term contract, especially when kids are involved.

Especially make sure there is a cancellation policy.

Oh and yeah Ernie Rothrock was married to Cynthia Rothrock, a very loooong time ago. she got to keep the name :eek:

In the end Martial Arts today is a real business but you got to start somewhere.

I was lucky to have had your sigung Shum Leung as my 1st primary teacher. He set the standard for me.

Still looking for master po but all I seem to find these days is the
Buddha's Palm skill of Pay up Sucka :D

GreenCloudCLF
06-20-2005, 06:01 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here. "Long term" programs are not a bad thing. These schools are offering to give tangible benefits to your children that you would be hard-pressed to find in other activities for cheaper. The in signing an agreement, it protects you the, parent, from rate increases, and ensures that if the school closes down you have a way to get back any lost money. Not only are you agreeing to pay them, but that agreement explictly states that THEY agree to teach your children.

As for costs, studies in MA have shown the following postive benefits:

Increased Attention span
Physical Fitness
Hand-eye coordination
Balance
Focus
Self-Defense skills
Sense of accomplishment
Finger dexterity

Think of all the different tuitions you would be paying if you had to find another activity for all those benefits:

Soccer
Baseball
Gymnastics
Martial Arts
Piano

And even if you do go with other activities, you still need MA for self-defense