PDA

View Full Version : Pads on wooden dummy?

Twinsen
09-09-2000, 06:53 AM
Greetings my friends,

The wooden dummy is made of wood and it will hurt your knuckles while punching. So, is it good to tie a small pad or those cheap boxing glove on it?

thanks,

------------------
~Guybrush~

Sihing73
09-09-2000, 07:47 AM
Hi Twinsen,

Traditionaly the dummy is not padded although I have seen some pad it for punching. Still, the dummy is for developing structure and training one to project energy into the center not for developement of the knuckles or such. If you want to develope your power for striking it is probably better to use the wall-bag. The dummy developes a different type of power by training you to project inward and is not meant to be battered with brute strength.

The dummy is also a good tool for correcting your angle and technique. It gives one kind of a protractor effect by insuring the angle is correct. If the angle is wrong you will feel pain. A skilled practicianer will flow around the dummy and send his energy into it without a lot of noise. If you hear a lot of banging then the person, IMO, has not developed the proper tools for using the dummy. Hard brute force sounds good and is impressive to the uninitiated but a softer touch denotes higher skill.

I do not pad my dummy and the power I have developed comes in handy. By learning to strike the dummy with control I have learned not to hurt my knuckles. For coniditioning I would rather use other methods.

Peace,

Dave

DrunkenMonkey
09-10-2000, 09:09 AM
Buy bundling rope or any sort of rope that doesn't have any coating on it.

Wrap it around the places you strike on. This eases up on some of the pain, and still conditions your knuckles and skin well.

Twinsen
09-11-2000, 01:11 AM
Greetings,

What wrong with pads? It seems that I have also saw that they don't put pads on it!

thanks,

------------------
~Guybrush~

flavour54
09-17-2000, 04:36 PM
The dummy is not really meant for knuckle conditioning as Sihing has said, it is a however a good tool to which can be used to condition limbs on and no padding is needed for that. Don't pad it. Use tools for knuckle conditioning such as wall bags and perhaps sandpaper under your knuckles while doing push ups.If you pad it that surface may as well be anything. Put the pads on the wall and hit them if you wish. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"take the pebble from my hand"The old monk from the TV show"Kung Fu"

"I just go at it as best I can"
Benny the Legend.