PDA

View Full Version : Another green tea question

Crash
06-08-2005, 05:46 AM
Are there differences in the types of green teas (gunpowder, dragon well, gyokuro, etc.) in terms of the health benefits they provide? Is there a particular type of tea that delivers more antioxidants, etc? Thanks.

herb ox
06-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Crash -
While I don't have any hard research to cite, it seems logical that the way the leaves are handled and cured would affect the final chemical and enzymatic makeup. For example, Pu-Erh leaves are 'fermented' before they are dried. As a result, this tea has a different taste and color, and is known for its beneficial digestive qualities.

As a side note, I recently traveled across the US (coast to coast) by van in record time. Much of that trip was fueled by concentrated 'Green Tea Pills" - boy, you pop a few of those and you'll be driving til dawn...

peace

herb ox

Mukei
06-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Their are loads of Diffrent types of Green Tea And Diffrent grades of Green tea .... It all Depends how much you want To spend to get the higher Grade of tea ..... Of course the Price can be Expencive . In Japan where I lived It was everywhere and the Price was Kinda Pricey!! the better the quility the more and better antioxidants, etc.... their are . hope that helps ....... Mukei

YuanZhideDiZhen
06-15-2005, 12:39 AM
the one with the most antioxidents is a white dragon that goes for 110usd per 500g or 17.5 oz wholesale.

there are seven grades of gunpowder plus YinHao which is pearled like gunpowder and has three grades.

dragon well has seven grades.

oolong has three grades per variety (five varieties from taiwan, three from mainland).

the kinds you typically can find in your local oriental market are what are called "staple" varieties as they are for daily consumption and not medicinal use.

white teas are so expensive that there are only two grades for each of the three types: good stuff, cheap stuff. price difference around 15usd per 500g wholesale or 30-50usd retail.

Shaolinlueb
06-15-2005, 06:52 AM
ive been to dragon well green tea and i bought the best they had. it was about 300 yuan for a container of it. i wish i still had the site, you can order it from the directly. dragon well green tea is probably the best for health out there. the taste isnt the best though.

YuanZhideDiZhen
06-17-2005, 01:38 AM
it was about 300 yuan for a container of it.

what's that in $usd$? 20bucks? was it the one with the flower and the first two leaves on the stem?

Dale Dugas
06-17-2005, 05:28 AM
There are as many green teas as there are kung fu styles.

Different regions and different flavors.

I use Special Teas this online store in CT, which has very good variety and price. They have Heaven grade gunpowder green which is very nice, and different from Lung Ching Cha.

You can look them up at http://www.specialteas.com

Enjoy!

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

TonyM.
06-17-2005, 07:31 AM
The less fermentation and drying with heat, the more anti-oxidents.
www.rngco.com has great teas.

anton
07-17-2005, 05:31 AM
I've only recently discovered white teas by accident. Was given a box of jasmine scented white tea pearls. I think they are White Needle though I'm not sure as there is no english writing on the box. Awesome stuff!