PDA

View Full Version : Help with translation...again...

Oso
06-08-2005, 01:25 PM
if 'shou' is hand then what is 'arm'? or would you just consider them the same?

what is 'drill' (as in to do a drill or exercise) ?

thanks !!!

mantis108
06-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Shou is more than just hand. It also means combinations, techniques and such things depending of the context. The entire arm is Bi.

Drills mostly translated as Dui Lian.

Warm regards

Mantis108

Oso
06-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks bro !

I'll prolly delete this tomorrow...my question was too general for the 'terminology' thread.

Oso
06-08-2005, 07:33 PM
hmmm....

bi as in 'ber' or 'bee' or 'bay' ?

which tone?

Dui Lian ...umm, i not even sure where to go there...'dwee leeahn'?

{sigh}

I just need to take a course at a college.

or find a hot chinese woman and have her fall madly in lust with the xiong. :cool:

Lu Bu
06-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Bee, but not like beeeeeee. It's a short "Bee" sound.

Dui Lian- phonetically, dway lee-en. Dui isn't pronounced with a drawl, either (like I said about Bi), it's short. Wish I could help with the tones, but the best I was able to do was get most of the pronunciation down, and even that's starting to go the way of the Dodo. :(

And yes, I can't possibly recommend any more seriously that you study Mandarin in depth as it helps not only with just knowing what you're saying, but it really brings a depth to the art that you won't get knowing only the "translation".

Or, yes. Hot asian girlfriend who happens to be fluent. Good luck with that one. Pretty short supply of those over here. :( Sucks for Nashville.

Good Luck :cool:

MantisCool
06-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Bi is like when you pronoun the numeral 1 in mandarin, Yi but pronounced in letter "b".

In "drill", overhere we sometimes said "Cao" meaning exercise or Dui cao, 2-person drill. To drill a person on what he had learnt we would use the word "cao" also.

18elders
06-09-2005, 05:05 AM
Well buddy, if my memory doesn't fail me(i never forget a pretty face, but don't ask me what i did yesterday!!), you have a hottie in your class who can help u.
You need me to spell it out for u??
hahahahaah

yu shan
06-09-2005, 06:47 AM
Kejia nu ren was a flourish of fresh air when she walked in her first day. She has brought so much quality to our little gongfu club. And yes she teaches mandarin language lessons to fellow students for free mind you. So Big Bear, if you have questions, c her. :D

kejia nu ren
06-09-2005, 08:10 AM
臂 - bì (bee 4th tone, accent down)
隊練 - duì liàn (dway lee-en, both are 4th tone, accent down)

I also know drill as 操練 - cāo liàn (tsao 1st tone, flat; lee-en 4th tone, accent down) but this may be more of a military term.

18 elders & yu shan you are too kind. i appreciate the flattery, but it's unwarranted. i think the point being made was the lack of "hot" asian girls in nashville. enough said. ;)

Judge Pen
06-09-2005, 08:27 AM
i think the point being made was the lack of "hot" asian girls in nashville. enough said. ;)

I don't know. . . . I've had pretty good luck in Nashville.

K.Brazier
06-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Miss Kejia,
It is duei bu duei de duei for duei lien.

About the arm as it relates to fighting.
hand-shou-rhymes with dough.
wrist -wan-rhymes with man as said by Bob marley.
Zhou-elbow-as in sloppy "joe?" There are a huge number of prefixes for the types of elbow as used in Mantis
bi-arm-as in bumble "bee!"-this term is very ambigoius and is rarel used alone.
In Pm commonest is bi zhou(bi! zhou)-arm elbow. This means the outer forearm as used in strikes.

Kevin

Oso
06-10-2005, 07:16 AM
thanks all

specifically what I've been wondering is how to tell my students to work on 'arm drills' or 'hand drills'

Three Harmonies
06-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Kejia
Nothing wrong with hot asian girls!!!
What program do you use for your hanzi on the computer? Are there any good free ones? Someone told me Windows has one all set up, but I cannot get to it for some reason (probably my intense computer training skills :rolleyes: :p ). Any suggestions?

GrassyAss
Jake :cool:

kejia nu ren
06-10-2005, 07:49 AM
shifu kevin,

thanks for the correction. don't i wish my parents sent me to chinese school :o

對 - duì in case anyone was interested in the correct hanzi.

burroughs laoshi i PMed you.

Lu Bu
06-11-2005, 01:15 AM
18 Elders- She's taken, duder (which upset a large majority of our class, I can tell you that). Thankfully, she's going to help me with my mandarin...because I need a whooooooole lot of help.

Plus, I can't worry about the women right now, anyway...have to get all my ducks in a row so I can move to Taiwan so that when you and Shifu want to come over there, you have a place to stay during your visit! ;)

K.Brazier
06-14-2005, 06:35 PM
What adjectives would you use to describe these characteristics?
These are definitions taken from an old mantis manuscript to describe fighting and I am stuck on these keywords.

1. Something which can not be bent.
It must be in contrast to the following similar adjective...
2. That which can not be broken.
And #1 should be close to the opposite of...
3. A struggling branch meeting the wind moving around without escaping.
While #2 is close to the opposite of...
4. Winding water soaking into the sand.

In Chinese 1 and 3 as well as 2 and 4 are opposites while the pairs 1 and 2 as wellas 3 and 4 are similar.

Kevin

Oso
06-14-2005, 07:44 PM
http://www.synonym.com/synonym/

just enter the word and click 'synonym' or 'antonym'

ain't the internet grand?

http://www.synonym.com/antonym/bent

but, good lord, context is everything ain't it?

good luck, you're a better man than I at figuring that one out. I can only kinda see the convolutions within that problem.

about the second time I think something like that through I usually just break something, feel better and have a beer. :D