PDA

View Full Version : Versus!

blackmantis
06-09-2005, 03:46 AM
I know these threads are always stupid as it's person not style etc.... but anyway, I think they are always very interesting and raise lots of issues about different styles.

So, who would win?

Xingyi
Southern Mantis
Lohan Shaolin
Eagle Claw
Hung Gar
Northern Shaolin Mantis
Choy Lay Fut
Wing Chun
Phoenix Eye Chukka Shaolin
Jeet Kune Do

Ben Gash
06-09-2005, 04:15 AM
After much serious contemplation and serious research, I would have to conclude that the winner would be..............

ME!! :cool:

MasterKiller
06-09-2005, 06:04 AM
So, who would win?

Xingyi
Southern Mantis
Lohan Shaolin
Eagle Claw
Hung Gar
Northern Shaolin Mantis
Choy Lay Fut
Wing Chun
Jeet Kune Do

The Long Fist guy would win.

SPJ
06-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Let me turn the topic into an analogy.

There is a master that is skillful in straightsword. Everyone knows that the straight sword is fast and versatile. It is usually a point Jing or focused smaller Jing at the sword tip, forward end, mid section, back section or even the handle.

There is a master that is skillful in broadsword. Everyone knows that the Dao is wider, heavier and slower. However, you would lose something, if the Dao sways toward you.

Who would win? Jian vs Dao.

There is a bomber called Heinkel that carries bombs, front and rear machine guns.

There is a fighter called spitfire or hurricane.

Who would win? Fighter vs bomber.

The bomber would excel at bombing runs by carrying more loads of bombs and flying a longer range. However, it is slow.

The fighter would excel at fighting the bombers due to speed and lightweight.

In short;

If the criteria are varied, certain aspects of skill will be better for a certain setting.

If the all the combat conditions are set the same, then whoever is more skillful at the task at hand will win.

So in any combat sport, rules are set to even the plain field except the skill.

The same weight, the height etc such light feather weight, mid weight and heavy weight boxing etc.

So who is more skillful?

And then there is the random factor. There may be a "break" or window of opportunity even for a less skillful fighter to win, too.

---

On and on.

OOH, the answers to the questions of winning are more than or not just styles, then.

Which weapon to practice? Jian vs Dao. or both.

Which plane to build? Fighter vs bomber. or both.

Which style to learn? A vs B or both.

Does that garantee you to win? May be we need tactics and strategy.

To take the advantage of our strong points and shield or avoid the weakness.

To take the advantage of the opponent's weakness and avoid his strong points.

I would use a bomber for bombing missions. I would use a fighter to fend off the bombers etc.

:D

Ray Pina
06-09-2005, 07:57 AM
If everyone was equal in size, experience and dedication I would put my money on either the Hsing-I guy, because he'd be the most technically powerful pound for pound or the JKD guy if he had a healthy mix of BJJ incorporated into his training.

Reggie1
06-09-2005, 08:18 AM
The Long Fist guy would win.

Puh-lease! We all know the mantis fighter would win. And then go eat their mate. ;)

SevenStar
06-09-2005, 08:19 AM
If everyone was equal in size, experience and dedication I would put my money on either the Hsing-I guy, because he'd be the most technically powerful pound for pound or the JKD guy if he had a healthy mix of BJJ incorporated into his training.

yeah, but the southern mantis, jkd and longfist guys would all have quick footwork capable ofevading the xy guy... Plus, all variables will never be equal. That's why discussion like this are stupid.

SevenStar
06-09-2005, 08:20 AM
why isn't thai boxing on this list? should I be offended? :p

MasterKiller
06-09-2005, 08:25 AM
why isn't thai boxing on this list? should I be offended? :p
Thai Boxing = Thai Long Fist. :eek:

Judge Pen
06-09-2005, 08:32 AM

It had the longest name so it has to be the best style.

Ray Pina
06-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Truth of the matter is, out of that list, the Hsing-I guy and the JKD guy would have to fight ..... they'd be the only two to show up.

The Wing Chun guy would say he's coming but not show up. Maybe the Choy Lay Fut and Hung Gar guy will come but not want to fight all out and the Shaolin, Northern Mantis, eagle folks will make believe they didn't see the invite.

The Southern Mantis and Phoenix Eye guys won't know what happened because they're working in the resturant and aren't on the internet.

Shaolinlueb
06-09-2005, 10:54 AM
come on. we all know the eagle claw guy would win. seriously. who else? :D :D