PDA

View Full Version : OT: Web and Code heads

David Jamieson
06-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Hey all.

If you are a web designer, graphic designer, coder or some such other related fanatic, I encourage you to come and exchange your skills and knowledge in the field with others who are like minded.

I am trying to establish a membership in my shiny new discussion forum in regards to this topic. It's not a kungfu site, it's a web/print/design/codehead site and I hope it fills up with useful tips, tricks and info for anyone looking for definitive answers to their queries.

For all martial arts related postings, I encourage you to remain here! :p

But if you are a novice at websites and want to learn more, or want to show your stuff and get critiqued or what not, then come and join up today!

Go here:

Http://www.davidjamieson.com/yabb

fa_jing
06-09-2005, 06:59 AM
p'shaw. Front End developers. :rolleyes: :p

David Jamieson
06-09-2005, 07:03 AM
pfft, backend l33tists! :p :D

ewallace
06-09-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm primarily a C# guy. I do mainly asp.net stuff right now, but I do desktop and windows service applications as well. My VB6 is pretty rusty, but wouldn't be hard to refresh my memory on some of that stuff.

My other skills include:
Cold Fusion (don't get me started on that language)
T-SQL
ASP (JScript and VBScript)
Photoshop (very well versed)
Javascript/DHTML
HTML (I hand code, but I am very familiar with macromedia dreamcrusher....uh...dreamweaver).

So do I have the job or what? :p

ewallace
06-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Yuk! Your site is done in Perl? That must take forever to get anything done. :)

David Jamieson
06-09-2005, 07:59 AM
It's a yabb board. You can get it in cgi or perl. I opted for perl because, what the hell, it's easy to use, and so is cgi, so it was just a simple decision. My host server is linux so no asp .NET stuf etc etc.

My site is done with varying techs. A blended solution if you will.
Not looking for any employees, just looking for peeps to help out other peeps who want to code their own sites, have questions, have stuff to show etc etc.

ewallace
06-09-2005, 08:01 AM
I was just kidding about the job comment. It felt like submitting a resume when I listed my skills (or lack thereof).

I'm registered now. I will infiltrate the board with misinformation and useless insight. :D

David Jamieson
06-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Thanks for joining dude!

Share yer stuff when ya feel like it.
and feel free to confuse newbs with technical jargon! :D

ewallace
06-09-2005, 08:40 AM
I think the Web Design and Development and HTML and Code Tips and Tricks may be confusing to some on where to post a new topic, and could cause a lot of cross-posts for the netiquettely impaired.

Just a suggestion.

David Jamieson
06-09-2005, 08:52 AM
duly noted.

thanks for your stuff btw.

I am using the tips and tricks for posting code snippets and the d&d for broader type stuff.

If you want to contribute ready to use code snippets then tips and tricks is the place to post. If you want to post general concepts or principles, the d&d is the one.

also, there is always teh search function to fall back on. :D

@PLUGO
06-09-2005, 10:39 AM
I'll check it out...

Shaolinlueb
06-09-2005, 10:51 AM
jsut signed up
i do
sql
cold fusion
javascript
html
some actio script. im slowing learning.

David Jamieson
06-09-2005, 10:52 AM
hey DS, please do.

link some of your artwork in there too! :D

right on lueb!

give it a bit, but i'm sure you'll have stuff to share once people start hanging out a bit more.

MasterKiller
06-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Are we so sad that we are now posting on this board about what we'll post on another message board?

How the mighty have fallen.

David Jamieson
06-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Are we so sad that we are now posting on this board about what we'll post on another message board?

How the mighty have fallen.

Not actually.

The "other" board has zip zero nada to do with fu.
It's specifically for what teh subject line says.
And when you want to get teh word out, where do you go but where you know? :p

ewallace
06-09-2005, 02:11 PM
I can't wait for the Windows vs Unix/Linux and Java vs .Net flame wars to begin. Kinda like MMA was here a few years back before everyone was schooled and found out MMA is superior. ;)

David Jamieson
06-12-2005, 10:51 AM
I can't wait for the Windows vs Unix/Linux and Java vs .Net flame wars to begin. Kinda like MMA was here a few years back before everyone was schooled and found out MMA is superior. ;)

well, i guess i could put an off topic forum in there for those who insist on flaming and other forms of negative masturbation. :p

I'd rather it just be an info exchange as opposed to geek-fightsII

But ya never know who's gonna show up at these things.

I mean, lookit all the poseurs and weirdos on all the boards out there.
Mostly it's one or two guys with 50 accounts, lol.
These types either live in a wheelchair and are very embittered, or are henpecked, or have really crappy jobs and no outlet for their anger or they are simply just negative people.

Doesn't matter I guess. Cest la vie and all that :D especially when it goes overboard and their threads get locked and deleted and they start to cry about "their thread" and all that kind of stuff.

Gotta love the interweb.