PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Chum Kiu

Sean Madigan
09-11-2000, 02:30 AM
Hi All,

I have a couple of questions on Chum Kiu. In the first section, when you going from Lon Sau to the Bong Sau/Wu Sau position...When you start the movement from the Lon Sau, what do YOU do? I've been taught several ways, one of which is to bring both hands down to the waist, and move to Bong Sau/Wu Sau from there. Another is to leave Lon Sau where it is, and move your other hand into a palm-up position and rest of on top of the Lon Sau THEN move into the Bong Sau/Wu Sau position.

Also, (And sorry about all these questions) but in the third section, what is the timing of the heal kick when you turn into the Lon Sau? Do you turn in to Lon Sau and THEN kick, or does it all happen at one time?

Thanks in advance for everything.

BIG Sean Madigan

www.bigjkd.com (http://www.bigjkd.com)

FUJIYakumo
09-11-2000, 09:34 AM
lon sau? scratches chin... chum kui. we do low bon sau? i'm guessing its the same thing since chum kui is loaded with high, middle and low bon sau's.

for the first part, i have like a waist high tan with the other hand palm up, roughly hovering somewhere between the elbown and wrist of the flat tanned hand.. (you follow?? dunno if i do :P )

dont know about your third question, suonds like my chum kui is a different variation. third part.. third part. we do bil sao/front kick/snap it down into a side kick. the kick comes back so my feet are together, then i step off and low bon sau when i step...

???

that last part i might have to think and practice in the office when nobody is looking to makre sure i wrote what i do /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
just dont quote me on it!

------------------

Sihing73
09-11-2000, 06:42 PM
FUJIYakumo,

Lan Sau is also known as Bar Arm. Basically it is a variation of Bong, one of the seeds /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. It is formed with the arm parallel with the elbow forming a 90' angle. When performed in the Chun Kui with the turn you can strike with the elbow.

Sean,

I was taught to bring the Lan and Wu into the opening gesture or crossed Taun Sau then to perform the turn while changing what used ot be the Lan into the Bong with Wu. As to teh kick I was taught both to do it while turning and with the turn seperate. I think a lot of people may turn and then kick.

Peace,

Dave

Sean Madigan
09-11-2000, 07:05 PM
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the information. This is truly becoming one of the finest forums on the net.

BIG Sean Madigan

ATENG
09-12-2000, 12:22 AM
sup guys,

lets see, 3rd section kick. i'm not sure if this is the one you're talking about but i'm thinking of the one where you pak sao, grab, and lan sao, then side kick. for this kick, i was taught not to turn my body, but instead keep it facing forward and kicking sideways. after the kick, the foot comes down as a step and my lan arm into wu and the other into bong. am i making any sense?

abe

------------------
Its all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then its just fun.

FUJIYakumo
09-12-2000, 03:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sihing73:
Lan Sau is also known as Bar Arm. Basically it is a variation of Bong, one of the seeds /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. It is formed with the arm parallel with the elbow forming a 90' angle. When performed in the Chun Kui with the turn you can strike with the elbow.
[/quote]

ooohoh. lan sau. ok. i had always refered it as low bon in chum kui. but i know the lan sao from the knives set.

it has always been trained to me as a low bon in chum kui by my sifu. hmm i will ask my sifu next time i am at class and see what he says about the lan sau/low bon sau

------------------