PDA

View Full Version : Choy Lay Fut's "Chop Choy"

Infrazael
06-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Well well, what happened to all the CLF players!!! I've been reading up on the Archives, and you guys seem to have quieted down quite a bit. :p

Anyways, I was discussing this with a Sihing of mine the other day. You all know the Chop Choy, so I'm not going to explain it. Well, in my LKH lineage we do our Chops by going into a straight cat stance and slides forward into the opponent. Simple, fast, effective. There is the other one where you stay in cat, but that one is not part of my question.

However, I am two questions regarding the horse stance chop choy.

1) I have heard from a Sihing that my SiGung Lee Koon Hung sometimes does it by leaning back and stepping in order to gain more power. No doubt you gain more power, but in fight do you think this is more feasible? It obviously takes more time than simply sliding.

2) I have seen pictures of how the Buk Sing people execute their Chops (and they all look pretty **** beautiful ;) ). In alot of them they seem to lean into the Chops, into what looks like almost a bow stance, or mabye even a full-blown bow stance. Do you think this is wise? It obviously leaves you at a disvantage to being grabbed and thrown using your own momentum, but it will have increased power. It will probably do more damage to internal organs/bones.

I'll leave it at that.

Peace to all my CLF brothers.

CLFNole
06-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Sifu never leaned back before his chop choy. What he would do is to really turn his waist then unload the chop choy. Best way to explain this would be in chin lay, poon kiu, cum jeurng, yum chop choy. Just before the chop choy when you do cum jeurng in cat stance the waist really twists drawing back the chop hand while holding the cum jeurng slightly then unwinding and firing with power and speed.

The main thing with chop choy's is to strengthen the wrist. You need to practice doing pushups while in a panther fist. Otherwise your wrists will be weak and you will hurt yourself trying to execute one.

Also we have a variety of ways of using the chop choy. Sliding in, stepping in, etc....

Peace.

Infrazael
06-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Thaks for the clarification CLFNole.

I'll also ask my Sifu about how to generate more power with a Choy on Tuesday.

Peace

CLFNole
06-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Also remember that the chop choy is primarily designed to strike soft tissue areas/pressure points.

Ben Gash
06-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Surely that's a bit of a subjective statement . If you only practice Chop Choy with a leopard fist then it possibly has some truth (although I've been hit in the ribs and sternum with such punches many times and they HURT), but if you do it with a "Sun" character fist then you can hit whatever you like.

Fu-Pow
06-12-2005, 10:15 PM
1) I have heard from a Sihing that my SiGung Lee Koon Hung sometimes does it by leaning back and stepping in order to gain more power. No doubt you gain more power, but in fight do you think this is more feasible? It obviously takes more time than simply sliding.

Which SiHing told you that?

CLFNole
06-13-2005, 08:12 AM
In the Lee Koon Hung lineage the chop choy is done with the panther fist. If you do chop choy's with a standard fist of course you can hit anything. We don't use the sun fist, so my answer was directed towards his question. The chop choy in panther fist can hit the ribs and slip between them in fact. The sternum (if I remember my anatomy correctly) is point at the top of the rib cage, is somewhat of a pressure point and the middle knuckle fits in it nicely.

Peace.

Fu-Pow
06-13-2005, 12:17 PM
In the Lee Koon Hung lineage the chop choy is done with the panther fist. If you do chop choy's with a standard fist of course you can hit anything. don't use the sun fist, so I was my answer was directed towards his question. The chop choy in panther fist can hit the ribs and slip between them in fact. The sternum (if I remember my anatomy correctly) is point at the top of the rib cage, is somewhat of a pressure point and the middle knuckle fits in it nicely.

Peace.

Good point. Chaap Cheuih=Stab Strike. You could have several different "attachments" on the end of that stabbing strike.

Infrazael
06-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Which SiHing told you that?

Azime. . . . . . . . . .

Fu-Pow
06-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Azime. . . . . . . . . .

Hmmmm...might be better to discuss this via email. ;)

Infrazael
06-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Hmmmm...might be better to discuss this via email. ;)

Lol, I won't say anything here.

Though his knowledge in pure CLF might be limited. . . . . . I still wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of his fists. :p

Thanks for all the information guys. Lance (blame Fu-Pow for giving me your name), I tried that twist of the waist, and I can feel the power.

Thanks again guys

Take care

CLFNole
06-15-2005, 07:44 AM
No problem, I really don't care if people know my name or not. Keep working on the chop choy and find out what works for you. Everyone tends to be a little different.

Good luck.

Infrazael
06-15-2005, 11:11 AM
No problem, I really don't care if people know my name or not. Keep working on the chop choy and find out what works for you. Everyone tends to be a little different.

Good luck.

Yep, the thing that keeps Choy Lay Fut beautiful, is the diversity.

Peace

Ben Gash
06-17-2005, 03:39 AM
Fu Pow, surely that was my point :confused: :rolleyes:
Anyway, your sternum is your breastbone.

sean_stonehart
06-17-2005, 04:29 AM
Ben... or he could be talking about the xiphoid process that's just at the very bottom of the sternum maybe??

http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/biology/humananatomy/skeletal/sternum/xiphoid.html

That area looks meant for a chop choi.

Fu-Pow
06-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Fu Pow, surely that was my point :confused: :rolleyes:
Anyway, your sternum is your breastbone.

I think you mean CLFNole. :confused: :rolleyes: