PDA

View Full Version : WKF Kumite Rules

Oso
06-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Thinking about competing in this format.

http://www.wkf.net/html/rulesenglish.html#6

While there is no groundwork/grappling most sweeps and throws are allowed.

We've been sparring with a local school under these rules every friday here recently and this past friday I discovered the fact that throws/sweeps to the ground MUST be followed by a succesful/scoring striking technique for the sweep/throw to count. Additionally, if you are the swept/thrown guy you CAN score from the ground with strikes. I didn't explore the option of sweeping the standing guy from the downed position and scoring but will ask them that this week.

I thought that was pretty sweet and much better than the rules for light/medium contact sparring under the local kung fu group.

plus, these karate guys thing that you can't punch or kick from the ground... :D

Shaolinlueb
06-13-2005, 10:12 AM
i can only think of one thing when i hear kumite

MY NAMES FRANK DUX!!!!!

okay enough from me.

Judge Pen
06-13-2005, 10:33 AM
While there is no groundwork/grappling most sweeps and throws are allowed.

We've been sparring with a local school under these rules every friday here recently and this past friday I discovered the fact that throws/sweeps to the ground MUST be followed by a succesful/scoring striking technique for the sweep/throw to count. Additionally, if you are the swept/thrown guy you CAN score from the ground with strikes. I didn't explore the option of sweeping the standing guy from the downed position and scoring but will ask them that this week.

That's similar to the rules we usually fight under our competitions.

Oso
06-13-2005, 11:03 AM
:p @ SL

seriously though...the only 'kung fu' rules tourneys less than 8+ hours away don't allow head contact AT ALL for the beginner OR intermediate level. That's just a silly way to spar. You have to enter the advanced (5+ years) division for them to allow even 'light' head contact. I don't want to send a student in for their first match ever against that much senior a student much less someone with 10 or more years since there isn't a cap on the advanced division.

nor do they allow striking after a throw or striking from the ground.

JP: didn't Mullins close his tourney to non SD people? I know it used to be open but I thought I heard it wasn't anymore? That's November, right?