PDA

View Full Version : Stretching recommendations?

littlelaugh
06-14-2005, 07:04 AM
On the days I attend class I do a lot of stretching instead of a big workout. I'm fairly flexible to start with, but need help getting that last inch into the splits for example. I'd like to start some sort of systematic streching program and am looking for a good guide to start it with.

I have been thinking of purchasing either Relax Into Stretch by Pavel Tsatsouline or Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training by Thomas Kurz as these seem to be the most popular. However, I am a little wary of Pavel Tsatsouline's books as I feel that the one I have is very disorganized (Super Joints), etc.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for books or programs? Or criticisms of these two works?

Thanks,

Laugh

mickey
06-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi littlelaugh,

If one inch is all that you have to go, the only thing that is keeping you from achieving success is your mind. I have been at the one inch point. When I realized that it was only my mind that was keeping me "up", I was able to COMPLETELY SUSPEND all thoughts to everything. And THEN, I was DOWN.

If you "think" you still need a book, I recommend Kurz's book.

mickey

Vasquez
06-20-2005, 05:50 AM
Good work. Flexibility is the key to good kung fu.

littlelaugh
06-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi littlelaugh,

If one inch is all that you have to go, the only thing that is keeping you from achieving success is your mind. I have been at the one inch point. When I realized that it was only my mind that was keeping me "up", I was able to COMPLETELY SUSPEND all thoughts to everything. And THEN, I was DOWN.

If you "think" you still need a book, I recommend Kurz's book.

mickey

Hmmmm, I'll try that. I am pretty good at holding a stretch until I feel that I have made the maximum extension, but maybe my mind is distracting me.

However, there are lots of other areas of my body that I wish were more flexible, so I think I will check out that book.

Thanks a bunch,

Laugh

Normski
06-28-2005, 03:53 AM
Hi Little Laugh,

The book by Thomas Kutz, is one I'd recommend.
His dynamic stretching section ,combined with, his relaxed stretching
is a good workout,

Slightly older people(I'm 43) like can really benefit from this routine.
I also go through my forms for the cardio-vascular side of things

signed
NORMSKI

littlelaugh
06-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, NORMSKI :)

I remember the days when I could just pop down into the splits. :sigh:

GreenCloudCLF
06-29-2005, 07:19 PM
I have read and worked from both books...Kurz is far superior in my opinion

batgirl
06-29-2005, 09:19 PM
to get past the 'last inch' you have to have your leg(s) elevated. A phone book for example will elevate your foot and give you a deeper stretch.

progress is made in small increments. Too impatient and you might tear something which will put you out of commission for awhile.

Vasquez
07-01-2005, 06:49 PM
to get past the 'last inch' you have to have your leg(s) elevated. A phone book for example will elevate your foot and give you a deeper stretch.

progress is made in small increments. Too impatient and you might tear something which will put you out of commission for awhile.

How many hours of stretching do you do a day?

littlelaugh
07-05-2005, 07:33 AM
Thank you, GreenCloudCLF, for your input. :)

Batgirl - that sounds a little scary and/oir painful. But maybe I will give it a try.

Vasquez - Do you do a lot of stretching as well?

Cheers,

Laugh

wall
07-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Firstly, relating to something I read above, do not do elevated splits until you can do them perfectly flat on the ground, hips aligned, with no pain. It just makes the positioning more difficult = dangerous, with also additional imbalances and strain on ligaments and muscles, whilst serving absolutely no purpose in making faster gains.

Stretching is fundamentally a very uncomplicated but potentially dangerous activity that just follows a few important principles:

1 - always stretch after warming up very well.

2 - align the limbs in a posturally correct manner. Feet, hips, back, etc, must be always in good alignment and not "contorted" to simulate going a little further.

3 - relax into the stretch, gradually reaching the point where there is discomfort and tension but not outright pain, and never to the point of disrupting regular breathing. Going too far, apart from the obvious injury risk, is actually counter-productive as our nervous system panics and contracts the muscles, reducing our flexibility.

4 - once you reach the maximum stretch, hold for at least 30 seconds, breathing calmly and regularly and trying to relax as much as possible in the position, but without releasing the tension.

5 - use a mix of static, dynamic and resistance stretches. Avoid ballistic, at least until you reach very good flexibility and very good body awareness.

6 - flexibility and strenght must grow together. One without the other becomes useless and dangerous; implement a strenght training program (eg. weights and plyos), stretch after it. Muscular strenght and size being detrimental to flexibility is a mith; in fact strenght and size gains if made in parallel with constant stretching will yeld far better flexibility results than stretching alone. Note: Chinese wushu athletes have massive legs (heavy squats, jumps, plyos) and amazing flexibility.

7 - stretch completely 4-6 times per week to gain flexibility, 2-4 times per week to maintain.

Flexibility, as well as being a necessity to perform CMA well, if combined with appropriate strenght and endurance training is also of great benefit to our general well being, physical performance, and mobility in old age.

Happy stretching :)

Wall

Kristoffer
07-05-2005, 08:50 AM
How much time do you spend stretching (per session/day/week)?

How long do you spend on each muscle? (Like splits)

wall
07-05-2005, 09:08 AM
How much time do you spend stretching (per session/day/week)?

How long do you spend on each muscle? (Like splits)

I stretch 4-5 times per week, 15-20 minutes each time. However I am mostly maintaining as I am "ageing" (I'm 33) and already have sufficient flexibility (I can do all 3 splits with hips completely aligned).
When I was in my teens I used to stretch 5-6 times per week for 30-40 minutes each session, to make gains.

I hold each stretch at least 30-40 seconds from when I reach maximum range, so including the gradual easing to that position the total time of each stretch is minimum 60 seconds. I tend to hold the front splits (the splits with one leg in front and one behind) for a long time, if I'm just relaxing even several minutes, alternating static position with suspending (eg front heel on a step), balancing, moving the hips around, bouncing up and down, etc. None of this of course should be attempted unless you can already lie flat down in them, hips perfectly aligned and hands off the ground, with no pain at all.

W

littlelaugh
07-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Thank you, Wall. You made some really good points. I will start stretching more consistently and frequently those areas that I'd like to gain in. I've only been doing the splits 3 or so times a week. This may be my problem.

In general, I like to gradually find my full stretch when stretching. It seems almost that with each breath I go further into the stretch. Is this similar to what you mean by relaxing into the stretch? I have the mentality that every stretch I am doing is like a yoga pose and that I should explore how my body feels and responds.

Cheers,

Laugh

johnyk
07-10-2005, 06:41 AM
I recently got a new stretching manual from elasticsteel webcite. I think they all the same, I just got this one cause it cheaper. you can try doing what I do now. To stretch a hamstring hold the leg up so that front thigh gets fatigue and than stretch a hamstring. Just make sure that it is warmed up, and strong first. According to Kurz you do the opposite, you tense the hamstring and than relax it and stretch it.
Same can be done for every muscle.

Go for that split- yeah lol