PDA

View Full Version : Question for military buffs

Royal Dragon
06-14-2005, 08:10 AM
What sidearm, if any was worn by Airforce personell in 1958-1960?

Merryprankster
06-14-2005, 08:11 AM
The Air Force?

Oh that's easy. A purse with breath mints.

MasterKiller
06-14-2005, 08:20 AM
My dad was in the Army Air Force in WWII and fought in the Pacific. He didn't carry a purse.

ZIM
06-14-2005, 08:24 AM
pilots would probably have carried either a 1911 or a revolver.

Royal Dragon
06-14-2005, 09:02 AM
If a revolver, do you know what kind? or was it just lowest bidder?

ZIM
06-14-2005, 10:12 AM
If a revolver, do you know what kind? or was it just lowest bidder?
Full sized .38s were common as a revolver, but I'm answering by memory, not research. Are you asking for particular makes? Maybe it would be helpful to have an idea why you're asking. Do you have a gun you're researching?

David Jamieson
06-14-2005, 10:24 AM
wouldn't it be a .45 for pilots?

semi auto, light and slim. perfect for the airman.

ZIM
06-14-2005, 10:39 AM
wouldn't it be a .45 for pilots?

semi auto, light and slim. perfect for the airman.
That was indeed the most common. Colt .45 1911. Between the years mentioned, Colt was owned by another company:

Colt Firearms became a wholly owned subsidiary of the holding company, based in New York City, and joined the Silberstein family of diversified companies, which also included Pratt and Whitney Company of West Hartford. A group of investors took control of the company in 1959, dismissed Mr. Silberstein, and changed the name of the company to Fairbanks Whitney, reflecting its acquisition of the Fairbanks Morse Company of Chicago. link (http://www.colt.com/mil/history.asp)

But revolvers and other arms were used. The standard for .38 revolvers [USAF & USN] since WWII was this one (http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976583592.htm) but the USMC and US Army typically used .44s or .357s when using revolvers. These have since been phased out, late '70s/early '80s.

Those are sidearms carried, but they don't include firearms found in pilot survival kits during the period, such as this peashooter (http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976603548.htm), but they served a different purpose.

rogue
06-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Lasers? I'd think SO shooters would know better. If you need assistance aiming your weapon then you should find another occupation.

Royal Dragon
06-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Thank You Gentilemen!!

The reason for asking is these are the years my Father served. We were not close growing up, and for 15+ years I didn't even know where he was. He's reacently suffered a second stroke, and is not able to answer the question (Although last time he was like this he rebounded quickly). I have been meaning to ask him since we reunited several years ago, but it's hard to get him to talk about the subject as he's allways trying to tell me of his accomplishments later on in his civillian life.

I can get yes, or no answers out of him when I call, but mostly now he wants to hear of his Granddaughter's accomplishments. I want to ask, "Dad, did you have such and such as your side arm?", and then go find one for myself. It's a sentimetal thing, probably because of all the lost years.

Ben Gash
06-17-2005, 03:57 AM
Smith and Wesson model 10 with a 4 inch barrel I believe.

Merryprankster
06-17-2005, 06:41 AM
Wow!

Now don't I feel like the ****? :o

Just some friendly interservice rivarly coming out there.

Hope you get to be able to talk to him in the future. Strokes are hard on everybody.