PDA

View Full Version : Just taught my first lesson today...

stubbs
06-15-2005, 02:05 PM
One of the senior students was taking the warm up and my instructor pulled me out from the class and asked if I'd like to take the lesson. It was a good experience. It was a beginners class so just did some basic pad work and built up a few combinations etc.

I've recently started writing an inventory of all the martial art techniques I know (its taken me 6 months so far!) and writing things up definately helped me with the teaching in describing everything that goes on in the technique.

It was interesting learning the structure of a class - how to describe and demonstrate techniques, how to supervise and correct students, keeping track of time, keeping the 'energy' in the class so no one gets bored, when to have breaks etc. There's a lot going on at once! I'm glad I was put on the spot - I found as the class went on I was more confident in what I was doing and saying. I think it was the confidence that made the students listen to me. I wasn't over confident, but if I didn't seem sure in what I was saying then I think I could have just been ignored because I wasn't the usual instructor.

If you're a teacher, what was your first teaching experience? Have you changed the way you teach over your teaching life?

I really enjoyed it - explaining the techniques definately gives me a greater understanding of what I do and how I do it.
________
Gs850 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_GS850)

packard
06-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Glad it was a good experience for you Stubbs.

I do remember teaching my first class, and like you was put on the spot. It made me realise how much more goes on than just doing a technique. Like you said, the energy thing and keeping everyone motivated and “up” can be difficult.

Keep up the good work!