PDA

View Full Version : Do Tai chi postures build qi

dre_doggX
11-10-2001, 10:45 PM
what postures to use

Andre Lashley

Sam Wiley
11-10-2001, 11:01 PM
Beginners should practice standing qigong postures to gain the health benefits of Taiji, as they are not able to perform the movements perfectly and thereby gain the great health benefits of Taijiquan. I would advise you to learn standing qigong and let that build your health and qi until your form is good enough that you can leave stading qigong behind if you wish.

However, as a general rule, low postures tend to build your energy levels. Snake Creeps Down, Bend Backwards, Punch To Knee, Needle At Sea Bottom, etc, are all pretty good for building your energy levels. Some of these postures can be used as qigong methods themselves. Snake Creeps Down, Needle at Sea Bottom, and Punch To Knee are ones I know for certain, and I would imagine that Bend Backwards would have much the same effects as Snake Creeps Down.

Doing your form fairly low, as long as you don't break rules about stepping and weight placement etc, can build your energy levels as well as improve your leg strength and stamina.

Your teacher can better show you than I can tell you on the net, though. So you would be better off asking him to show you how to do this.

Repulsive Monkey
11-11-2001, 12:13 AM
All postures in Taiji have a specific function to them Martially and energetically, and once you have been taught which is for which then one can practice spefici postures for specific reasons. Doing the whole of the form will take you through all the energetic possibillities and this why all round health can be achieved from doing a form. For health reasons for example White Crane spreads wings is good for the lungs when they are below par as they stimulate the Lung meridians and help push lung pathogens out through the arms. Double Fist Pierces the Wind is good as it stretches the Kidney meridians too. It all depends upon what you are trying to cultivate? However all postures are good for cultivating Qi when done correctly.

honorisc
11-11-2001, 01:48 AM
Repulse Monkey!

But not a posture, a technique. If it T'ai Chi Ch'uan, then you shouldn't be standing still~unless you are in motion~.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

grounded
11-11-2001, 08:23 AM
You can practice the form, but simply slow down into Zhan Zhuang for each individual posture. For example, commencing, you stop with the chi sinking around tan tien; this is a very popular qigong exercise. All postures can be practiced still or just very slow or low to accumulate qi.

stillness in motion
motion in stillness

dre_doggX
11-11-2001, 06:04 PM
Yes, I have down postures very slow and that built qi(a long time ago)

but if I do them still not moving will that help

answers

Andre Lashley

grounded
11-11-2001, 08:07 PM
As usual, I say check with your teacher. Perhaps the safest way if you already know the form is to practice slow and low. Of course, if you are not relaxed then there is nothing to be gained.4

Sam Wiley
11-12-2001, 12:49 AM
Andre,
Yes, many Taiji postures are in fact qigongs if you take the posture separate from the form and use it as a standing qigong.

I can post a list for you of which postures do what, but you still need to ask your teacher to make sure you are doing them correctly.