PDA

View Full Version : does anyone believe this???

mattburg111
06-17-2005, 06:35 AM
That the shaolin monks in china gave their "secret" training manual to Steve damsco and the founder of UNited studious, which is the most Americanized basterization of martial arts. I studied there as a kid and it was like the military, what are the monks thinking??

Judge Pen
06-17-2005, 07:02 AM
Ask MasterKiller about DeMasco.

Royal Dragon
06-17-2005, 07:22 AM
I'm sure they did give him the "Secret manuals". Of course 30 days later, they also decided to publish them too, but don't tell steve that!!

MasterKiller
06-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Ask MasterKiller about DeMasco.

You trying to get me sued again? :eek:

At any rate, Demasco is a fraud. He is good at his Kempo, but he has no connection to Shaolin other than the fact that he drops a sh1tload of money trying force the connection. Yongxin used his sorry @ss to get a free trip to the U.S. and has since dropped him like a hot potato.

Why would DeMasco, the "American ambassador to Shaolin," have to take lessons from Shi Guolin if he already had the real stuff? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Judge Pen
06-17-2005, 07:41 AM
There's a difference in saying you don't believe something instead of saying you know they are lying. Opinon aren't defamation, per se, unless they necessarily imply that they are the truth based on a position to have superior knowledge.

Hence, I can say DeMasco is a fruity loon and it's not defamation--it's an obvious opinion (and probably a stated hyperbole). If I say I'm friends with DeMasco's psychologist and DeMasco is a fruity loon, then my statement may be considered defamation.

This is, of course, removing any "public figure" analysis from this equation, but I think that a published figure like DeMasco, would fit the legal defintion of a public figure in this context.

David Jamieson
06-17-2005, 07:51 AM
well, I'm sure they gave him "a" book for his generous donation to the temple.

But for all we know, it could be a cook book detailing the correct way to make hot and sour fish heads in 1001 recipes. :D

But yeah, on the kempo thing. Although i heard he took up some wing chun too. He does like to wear the shaolin garb though in his pics. :rolleyes:

MasterKiller
06-17-2005, 07:52 AM
For the record, I was never actually sued. I was, however, threatened with a lawsuit. Demasco knew, as I did, if I were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why I remain safely anonymous.

mattburg111
06-17-2005, 03:01 PM
masterkiller why diid u get sued if you don't mind me asking??????

lkfmdc
06-17-2005, 03:08 PM
If you show up in Shaolin, make sure to bring lots of green US dollars with you, then you can make ANYTHING happen

You can become part of the lineage, you can get a big fat stone put up with your name on it, and you can get a "secret book".... the same secret book 1000 other dumb foreigners got :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
06-17-2005, 03:32 PM
If you show up in Shaolin, make sure to bring lots of green US dollars with you, then you can make ANYTHING happen

You can become part of the lineage, you can get a big fat stone put up with your name on it, and you can get a "secret book".... the same secret book 1000 other dumb foreigners got :rolleyes:

yep and that's how I did it. Now bow down before me, pass the laisi, pour my tea and buy my dim sum then sit in ma bu for 2 hours and believe you are being trained properly!!!

muwhahahahahahaha!

MasterKiller
06-17-2005, 09:25 PM
masterkiller why diid u get sued if you don't mind me asking??????
I used to use my real name on message boards. So, when I was giving my opinion on DeMasco on another well-traveled message board, someone from his organization took offense. I was threatened with legal action, and since they had my name, it wasn't that hard for them to track me down. How serious they were, I don't know. I'm a small fish so it's really not worth my time or effort to get into a litigation over something so trivial as DeMasco's fakeness. He has a reputation for going after online critics and I wasn't willing to take a chance on them getting serious about it.

So I changed my name and just started talking about Sin The' for a while until things cooled off. :D

Sh1t, from this site alone, I had two or three of his guys send me endless emails trying to prove his authenticity, etc. They even sent me videos of themselves performing things that looked like Kempo seven-step forms as proof. :rolleyes:

mattburg111
06-17-2005, 10:31 PM
that is funny, is it really illegal to say that demasco is a fake martial artsist, isn't it opinion

Lama Pai Sifu
06-18-2005, 09:43 AM
It is my opinion that Demasco is what's wrong with CMA today. I avert my eyes everytime I see his photos.

I am speaking about martial arts business at the Black Belt Magazine's convention in July. He and Charles Mattera are teaching some "Kung-Fu" seminars there as well.

I guess my real problem with this situation is; I don't expect everyone to have the same level of skill. But people have to stop with the self-proclaimations about thier skill/lineage. It's fine to be the student of someone important in martial arts world.

This whole "Shaolin" thing, it's just wrong on so many levels.

MasterKiller
06-18-2005, 11:11 AM
that is funny, is it really illegal to say that demasco is a fake martial artsist, isn't it opinion
Perhaps it was the witty way in which I stated my opinion that got them all riled. I can be rather...bold... in my criticism sometimes...

mattburg111
06-18-2005, 08:11 PM
It really bothers me how people can ruin something so beutiful and traditional. CMA has been refined over so many years and now you have someone who is taking all the tradition and throwing it out the window. ON a side note, have you guys seen the video tapes fred Villari is offering. For 150 dollars you can get nine tapes and can obtain a balck belt through the fred villari system. It is awful, And when you read the faq about it it says how using the tapes yield the same reuslts as taking the classes. I love it how the chains have ruined MA to make a few bucks for themslves.

cerebus
06-18-2005, 08:27 PM
If you think the Villari video course is bad, type in "Kenpo" on e-bay. For far less than $150 (one course was only $30!) you can receive a manual covering the full curriculum of one of the various versions of Kenpo complete with signed, undated rank certificates (just fill in the rank as you learn each level to your own satisfaction), and Voila! Instant Kenpo instructor!

mattburg111
06-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Capitalims is great lol. People find ways to make money off of everything. The karate guy in Napolean dynamite sums up what martial arts means to mnay Americans. And that makes me laugh

waterleopard
04-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Good thread. I'm a kempo guy and I agree with what's been said. Unfortunately, there's good and bad with anything. I live in a very small town that's not close to any major city. My choices for MA are Tang Soo Do, Karate, and Kempo - all within about 10 miles from me. Tang Soo Do doesn't appeal to me at all, and I wanted something that wasn't 100% hard/linear, etc., so I selected the Kempo dojo, which is only about 10 minutes from where I live.

It's an independent dojo (nothing at all to do with USSD or Villari). It's also very serious about belt promotion and has only produced two adult black belts in eight years. There have been no children black belts given out. The adult classes average about six students/class, so there's a lot hands-on one-on-one instruction. There are no contracts, and I can attend as many as five classes/week in addition to being allowed to practice on my own time (which I do).

I feel sorry for any MA student, especially the Mac-dojo student, who never takes the blinders off to research their chosen style. It doesn't take much to see through any smoke screen. At best, as Gene has said before, Kempo is very confusing. And there's no escaping the fact that Kempo in this country is very Americanized. That's neither a good nor bad quality (I think) if it's marketed as such. But it borders on fraud if it's not.

For the right person, kempo can be a good starter-home or "first car" along the MA journey (or the only home/car, for that matter). And as I implied earlier, one's geographic location and the quality of instruction can and do have a big say in what they study (definitely my case). But the road has many twists and turns along the way. I for one, would very much like to try another style some day when the opportunity avails itself. Right now, I am what I am, and I do what I do. But I keep an open mind about it.

SanHeChuan
04-30-2006, 09:07 AM
People wouldn't be able to get away with this, or at least profit from lying if more martial artist educated them selves about the martial arts.

gfx
05-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Sorry for asking, but what exactly is Kempo? I've been confused by it for many years. It claims to be a Chinese art? Then why is it pronounced in Japanese? And why is it in the _incorrect_ romanization for Japanese? If it's Japanese, why does it claim it's Chinese??

It seems to be something that only exists in America, so it's American? But Chinese?? With a Japanese name??? :confused:

Mr Punch
05-02-2006, 01:21 AM
There are two 'Japanese' ken/kempos.

The standard transliteration is n, but m is acceptible too. Especially after a p/b, hence the standard transcription of the word 'gambare' or 'gambatte' meaning 'hang in there', 'go on', 'good luck' etc.

There is old Okinawan kenpo (Ryuukyuu kenpo) which arguably went to Okinawa in the 17th century and is very like shaolin I heard, with a lot of circular actions and a lot of emphasis on vertical fists. Then there is Japanese kenpo which comes from the 20th century, has no relation to shaolin whatsoever and was chosen literally because the name sounded cool. Can't remember the name of the founder, but look it up.

More confusingly, both of these are known as shorinji (shaolin temple) kenpo.

Incidentally kenpo means 'fist laws/principles' where fist can be translated as 'way of fighting'.

I've no idea about American kempo except for that Dillman geezer who's always blithering on about pressure points.

waterleopard
05-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Sorry for asking, but what exactly is Kempo? I've been confused by it for many years. It claims to be a Chinese art? Then why is it pronounced in Japanese? And why is it in the _incorrect_ romanization for Japanese? If it's Japanese, why does it claim it's Chinese??

It seems to be something that only exists in America, so it's American? But Chinese?? With a Japanese name??? :confused:

Heinz 57, mostly assembled in America.

At best, using real ingredients.
At worst, artificial ones.
Probably somewhere in between.

Becca
05-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Question: To those responding about what Kem(N)po is or isn't, do any of you have any actual experience with it, or are you repeating what you've read on this or other forums?

neilhytholt
05-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Question: To those responding about what Kem(N)po is or isn't, do any of you have any actual experience with it, or are you repeating what you've read on this or other forums?

I've done a lot of research about Kenpo recently.

Basically Kenpo seems to be a name for Chinese martial arts that come from Okinawa, primarily, kindof like in Indonesia, Chinese martial arts are called Kuntao.

Most of the Kenpo in this country seems to come from Ed Parker, who studied with Mitose and Chow in Hawaii. Mitose was a Japanese guy living in Hawaii who supposedly was sent to study at some temple in Japan, and Chow evidently was Chinese and possibly got sent back to China to study. However, there is a lot of dispute about what they knew or studied with. Ed Parker also evidently trained with Daniel K. Pai at some point.

At any rate, Ed Parker had a school down in Southern California and trained a lot of celebrities (including Elvis and Priscilla). In fact, Priscilla Presley left Elvis for another martial arts instructor not affiliated with Ed Parker.

Some brothers, the Tracy's, studied with Ed Parker and started the first martial arts chain school, and evidently made a ton of cash (like $2,500,00 per year or something) back in the late '60s and early '70s.

Ed Parker was always evolving his system, and it went through several iterations. After (and probably before) Ed Parker died, tons and people broke out with their own versions of Kenpo, which is where a lot of these chain schools come from, but they all teach something slightly different. It's a huge mess right now with an extreme number of variations.

waterleopard
05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I posted my experience earlier in this thread. Most of what I know is based on my own research and from people in the system that I trust. It's confusing and not at all clear cut. I'm beginning to feel that the phrase "kempo" should carry about as much definition as using just the generic term "kung fu." There appears to be several varieties, and unfortunately, just as many people customizing it, changing the lead-in adjective, and claiming it to be there own. Also unfortunately, it seems to be at the forefront of "martial arts is nothing more than a business."

Becca
05-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Basically Kenpo seems to be a name for Chinese martial arts that come from Okinawa, primarily, kindof like in Indonesia, Chinese martial arts are called Kuntao.

Yep, that about summs it up. Wether it is Chinese or Japanes depends on what is was mixed with.

KEMpo denotes a Chinese background. KENpo denote a Japanese background.

The temple you refer to is the Northern Okinawan Temple. This is a chinese temple founded by monks fleeing China in the that 1500s due to the Manchurian Revelution.

You missed several styles in yoyr run down of who offers Kempo. I won't pretend to be familiar with any but the one I study, Pai Lum. It is a blend of the Kempo Daniel K. Pai learned at the temple as a child and the family style of kung fu he learned from his grandfather, Po Fong Pai. This family style is called Pai Te Lung Shi'ang Kung Fu.

neilhytholt
05-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Also, I should add that it seems that some styles of Okinawan karate call themselves Kempo (like Ryukyu Kempo), some Chinese martial arts call themselves Kempo (like Temple Kung Fu or whatever it's become now claims to teach Kempo), etc.

It's going to be a bit ironic watching all these chain schools that broke out trying to make a buck go down in flames. It's already happening.

Jingwu Man
05-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Kenpo/kempo is Japanese for Quanfa.

quan- ken = fist
fa- po = method

My teacher has said that in the past, if a Japanese fighter wanted to become proficient at unarmed combat, he had to go to China and learn. Japan at the time was all about the swords, and China had been doing the unarmed thing for hundreds of years, so they just went to the source.
I've heard that the founder of both Aikido and judo, plus others, went to China and came back with "new" moves that were really powerful, and it made those guys famous after they integrated it into their own systems.

neilhytholt
05-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Yep, that about summs it up. Wether it is Chinese or Japanes depends on what is was mixed with.

KEMpo denotes a Chinese background. KENpo denote a Japanese background.

The temple you refer to is the Northern Okinawan Temple. This is a chinese temple founded by monks fleeing China in the that 1500s due to the Manchurian Revelution.

You missed several styles in yoyr run down of who offers Kempo. I won't pretend to be familiar with any but the one I study, Pai Lum. It is a blend of the Kempo Daniel K. Pai learned at the temple as a child and the family style of kung fu he learned from his grandfather, Po Fong Pai. This family style is called Pai Te Lung Shi'ang Kung Fu.

Yeah, I don't claim to have done a thorough job in research. I got tired of tracking down all these styles.

IMHO we need a program for the U.S. like China has to standardize martial arts in this country, because there's just too many variations and it's a big mess.

Becca
05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
IMHO we need a program for the U.S. like China has to standardize martial arts in this country, because there's just too many variations and it's a big mess.
AMEN! There would also be alot less fleecing of the lambs, so to speek. If there were some regulation on what you could call yourself based on what you've actually learned and who you've studied under, there would be no Ashida Kims out there. Then we'd only have to deal with the all the Mile High Karates on every other street corner teching kids that braking boards will someday save thier lives...

neilhytholt
05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Kenpo/kempo is Japanese for Quanfa.

quan- ken = fist
fa- po = method

My teacher has said that in the past, if a Japanese fighter wanted to become proficient at unarmed combat, he had to go to China and learn. Japan at the time was all about the swords, and China had been doing the unarmed thing for hundreds of years, so they just went to the source.
I've heard that the founder of both Aikido and judo, plus others, went to China and came back with "new" moves that were really powerful, and it made those guys famous after they integrated it into their own systems.

If you actually go back and trace it, it really appears that there are no martial arts that are Japanese in origin.

They all came from China. Even their sword work came from China. The traditional sword we call 'Samurai Sword' is actually Miao Dao that was used in China during the Tang dynasty. Even the forging techniques came from China. All the different Ryus of Jujitsu came from China originally. Some specific techniques might have been added on later, but it all originally came from China.

waterleopard
05-02-2006, 10:46 AM
AMEN! There would also be alot less fleecing of the lambs, so to speek. If there were some regulation on what you could call yourself based on what you've actually learned and who you've studied under, there would be no Ashida Kims out there. Then we'd only have to deal with the all the Mile High Karates on every other street corner teching kids that braking boards will someday save thier lives...

Sounds like we're more or less all on the same page. I'm encouraged by this.

Becca
05-02-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm not joking about Mile High karate, either. My oldest son was invited to 4 free group classes by his best freind. He went to all 4 to be supportive of his buddy, but after the first one, he asked me why they would put so much focu on braking boards. And not even real boards, but those fake plastic ones. The Sensie tryed to get Jake to come to his school full time as he was already good at it. Jake asked me not to put him in it. "They don't do anything but gym stuff and yell chi-ya, mom. I don't want to stand around punching air all the time. They don't even spar."

Good boy! But I did warn him not to tell the sensei his oppinion, as that would be very disrespectful. Just to tell him, "I'm happy with my current teacher, but thankyou for the invitation."

neilhytholt
05-02-2006, 10:56 AM

Yeah, this obviously will never work because there's nobody to enforce it. The individual masters all want to differentiate themselves so they can start chain schools and make a ton of money.

Plus, who sets the standards? What is the standard? Who is to say that practicing katas all day like the Taekwondo schools do isn't going to make people who are good with self defense? LOL

Oh, well.

Becca
05-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Didn't say it would be practical, just that it was a good idea. And we'd still have to deal with crap schools, but not with made-up schools.

neilhytholt
05-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Didn't say it would be practical, just that it was a good idea. And we'd still have to deal with crap schools, but not with made-up schools.

Well, IMHO most all of what's out there is crap schools. Ed Parker style Kenpo actually isn't a bad style in that respect, it's just that there's so many variations it's a nightmare.

If I had to take something I'd rather take Ed Parker Kenpo than karate where they don't even teach the real karate applications, which is 99% of the karate schools out there.

But if I have one more idiot telling me to down-block somebody's shin and then getting mad at me when I don't want to do it, I'll scream. (Which is part of the reason I don't think I'm going to go to any schools anymore).

A lot of people are upset and say I have a bad attitude when I say I don't want to waste a lot of time on beginner material.

Well it's not just that it's beginner material, it's that it's stupid material. The karate that is taught in this country and most of the beginning martial arts don't teach the real applications, because it was designed specifically for kids (watered down) to teach in Japanese schools in the case of karate or because the masters didn't learn the real CMA applications because they didn't stick around long enough, or whatever.

Becca
05-02-2006, 11:25 AM
But if I have one more idiot telling me to down-block somebody's shin and then getting mad at me when I don't want to do it, I'll scream. (Which is part of the reason I don't think I'm going to go to any schools anymore).

Ouch! Sounds like a good way to get your arm shatered! :eek: Don't blame you there!

A lot of people are upset and say I have a bad attitude when I say I don't want to waste a lot of time on beginner material.
That's not a bad attitude; you just haven't found the right teacher yet. Keep looking; you'll find one eventually.

Well it's not just that it's beginner material, it's that it's stupid material. The karate that is taught in this country and most of the beginning martial arts don't teach the real applications, because it was designed specifically for kids (watered down) to teach in Japanese schools in the case of karate or because the masters didn't learn the real CMA applications because they didn't stick around long enough, or whatever.
I understand that! I actually stumbled onto Pai Lum by accident. I was looking for a good teacher for my son. Even though he was just six, I wanted him to learn with a teacher who would teach him the good stuff, but also be able to work with him as a person. That teacher ended up being so good, I joined, as well. While taht teacher has moved up and no longer actively teaches at my school, the two sifu who have taken over are cut from the same cloth. It's been four years now, and I have never felt better about my choice to switch styles.

neilhytholt
05-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Ouch! Sounds like a good way to get your arm shatered! :eek: Don't blame you there!That's not a bad attitude; you just haven't found the right teacher yet. Keep looking; you'll find one eventually.
I understand that! I actually stumbled onto Pai Lum by accident. I was looking for a good teacher for my son. Even though he was just six, I wanted him to learn with a teacher who would teach him the good stuff, but also be able to work with him as a person. That teacher ended up being so good, I joined, as well. While taht teacher has moved up and no longer actively teaches at my school, the two sifu who have taken over are cut from the same cloth. It's been four years now, and I have never felt better about my choice to switch styles.

How is Pai Lum? I know almost nothing about that style. I've been searching around trying to find out more about it.

Do they teach self defense techniques separately from the forms (like versus bear hug, versus full nelson, versus tackles, etc?)

Becca
05-02-2006, 12:15 PM
In the begining, the first thig they teach is 6 self-defences and 3 Short Forms of the Tiger, along with the basic drills and general fintess needed to be able to keep up in class. I have seen many people from other styles cross over. They are given 2 trial private lessons. They are placed in the class that is apropriate of their level. If they are not beginers, and do not need to get thier fitness up to snuff, they are given a few privates so they can kearn the forms and self-defences required by the style for thier level, then put into the intermediate class.

This class is the catch all, if you will. You aren't afraid of being hit, because it is a full-contact style, and you have the drive to practice on your own. But you haven't been in Pai Lum long enough yet to understand the movements. Also, the higher up you get, the better at gymnastics you need to be. We don't do gymnastics, per say, but many of the higher skills require you to be able to do dack flips, diving shoulder rolls, and such. Once you have proven you are capable of learning these types of skills, you are bumped up to the advanced class.

While we do have a formal rank structure, the levels fo classes is not strictly based on this. It is based on what you are capable of. I have seen people who sit in the begginers class for years because they don't want to hit or be hit, even though they are well beyond a beginner in the style. I have also seen people progress from absolute beginner to the advanced class in less than 2 years, even though they are not half way through the rank structure.

neilhytholt
05-02-2006, 01:48 PM
So I didn't realize that is Rothrock's style and Don Wilson. Yeah, sounds like something I'd enroll my kids in, but I'm not for acrobatics and showy moves and all that.

I think I'll just enroll my kids in something like that, and then when they're in their teens I'll have somebody to play around with.

Becca
05-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Only one of Cynthia Rothrock's styles. But I believe it is Don Wilson's main style. And you are right; it's not for everyone. The style itself has alot of showy stuff, but the fighting side of Pai Lum is not the least bit showy. There is one rule in Pai Lum sparring: Don't do something stupid. In other words, don't assume you are going to win any fight until it's done. Don't pick a fight; you kave no idea of what they have up thier sleeves. Don't try to fight a guy with a knife/gun unless you literally have no choice. Don't try to prolong a fight so you can stroke your own ego. Just get it done as quickly and cleanly as posible, then get out of there.

Unfortunatly, you can't get all of the practical stuff without learning the showier stuff. Just as you can't get it without the technical stuff or the cultural stuff. Pai Lum is the only style I know of that you must learn the corrisponding Chinese terminology for the physical stuff in order to pass a rank test. It don't matter how good you are, you must learn everything to progress. This is something missing in most arts, thanks to the American mind set of "Why learn it if I don't need it to fight."

neilhytholt
05-02-2006, 02:30 PM
There is one rule in Pai Lum sparring: Don't do something stupid. In other words, don't assume you are going to win any fight until it's done. Don't pick a fight; you kave no idea of what they have up thier sleeves. Don't try to fight a guy with a knife/gun unless you literally have no choice. Don't try to prolong a fight so you can stroke your own ego. Just get it done as quickly and cleanly as posible, then get out of there.

Well that at least I agree with.

Unfortunatly, you can't get all of the practical stuff without learning the showier stuff. Just as you can't get it without the technical stuff or the cultural stuff. Pai Lum is the only style I know of that you must learn the corrisponding Chinese terminology for the physical stuff in order to pass a rank test. It don't matter how good you are, you must learn everything to progress. This is something missing in most arts, thanks to the American mind set of "Why learn it if I don't need it to fight."

Yeah, I'm not really up for any more jump through the hoops stuff (meaning learning all sorts of basic stuff and not so practical stuff and also the acrobatics). I guess I'm getting too old. LOL

Finny
05-02-2006, 11:14 PM

Sorry, but your teacher is wrong.

At the time when Japan was "all about the swords", it was also an isolationist country. No Japanese were allowed to leave Japan without express permission - so it would not have been as simple as "just going to the source".

Ueshiba Morihei, the founder of Aikido, did travel to China sevral times, but for military work, not to study Martial Arts - in fact his son specifically stated in several interviews that his father had NEVER trained in any Chinese martial arts. It is also totally obvious that Aikido derived from Ueshiba's study of Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu under Takeda Sokaku.

I'm quite sure Kano Jigoro didn't go to China, and if he did he didn't train MA - all of his Judo is based on Tenjin Shinyo Ryu and Kito Ryu jujutsu.

If you actually go back and trace it, it really appears that there are no martial arts that are Japanese in origin.

They all came from China. Even their sword work came from China. The traditional sword we call 'Samurai Sword' is actually Miao Dao that was used in China during the Tang dynasty. Even the forging techniques came from China. All the different Ryus of Jujitsu came from China originally. Some specific techniques might have been added on later, but it all originally came from China.

Sorry, but just about everything you've written here is 100% false.

The Chinese Miao Dao is completely unrelated to Japanese swords (other than having a similar shape). Japanese swords actually developed from single edged straight swords into the curved katana we know of today.

NONE of the different "Ryus of Jujitsu" (sic) came from China. They developed independently, with originally a large focus on battlefield efficiency. It is an easy mistake to make, given that most people's expposure to 'Japanese MA' is by way of Judo or Aikido, which bear some similarities to CMA.

Koryu Jujutsu ("old school jujutsu") looks nothing like CMA, has a unique focus, and an extensive, documented history of it's own. Many schools of Koryu Jujutsu such as the Takenouchi Ryu or the Yagyu Shingan Ryu developed to deal with grappling on the battlefield, while wearing armour, carrying various weapons, and fighting someone wearing armour, who is also carrying weapons.

Any sort of impartial research into this subject will bear this out. Unfortunately the Chinese love to claim all JMA as their own ("oh they learned all that from us you know").

Just like Korean MA often blatantly lie about the "ancient Korean" origins of the prevalent Kendo and Judo held over from the Japanese occupation. Do you believe TKD was the ancient art of the Hwarang, or do you believe it developed from the exposure Korea had to Shotokan and other Karate in the middle years of the Twentieth Century?

One makes more sense than the other, and a bit of research goes a long way.

Dark Knight
05-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Kempo has become a generic term. There is no ne solid definition to what kempo is.

Dillman Kempo is based on traditional Okanowan Kempo, there are a couple styles of Kempo. Since Parker died there are many styles of Kenpo that have branched off of it. Along with other styles that spell it Kenpo.

USSD/Villari Kempo is a style Villari came up with. They all it Shaolin Kempo Karate, that is an entire discussion on its own.

When Demasco broke off from Villari he took his own route with Kung Fu. Prior to going on his own he was a Villari Black Belt teaching the basic Villari system, all the advanced forms were from Villari.

yenhoi
05-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Last year USSD dropped 4 brand new mcdojos here in Reno, Nv.

:eek:

Dark Knight
05-04-2006, 08:17 AM
yenhoi

What school are you going to now?

I use to live in Reno, Back when I lived there West Coast TKD was huge.

yenhoi
05-04-2006, 12:18 PM
I train with Dave Mancini, where ever we can find space. Usually a park or my garage.

:eek: