PDA

View Full Version : **** slacker

Ray Pina
06-17-2005, 08:08 AM
I haven't been to my master in two weeks. It's been a combination of wanting to chill a little bit and enjoy the summer after two months of focusing on figthing, also working on a promotion at work and tonight I have a date I just can't pass on ..... but yesterday it hit me, all my training brothers, and the guys I'll be fighting, are training.

I dislike when I feel this way but I also know I've burnt myself out in the past and never want that to happen again. I'll start fresh on Tuesday, feel a little ashamed when I show up, but work harder to make up for it.

5Animals1Path
06-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Sometimes you've gotta take a second to drink from the cup before you can empty it back up.

Just don't lie about why you were gone, and I'm sure everything'll be fine.

Judge Pen
06-17-2005, 08:11 AM
I haven't been to my master in two weeks. It's been a combination of wanting to chill a little bit and enjoy the summer after two months of focusing on figthing, also working on a promotion at work and tonight I have a date I just can't pass on ..... but yesterday it hit me, all my training brothers, and the guys I'll be fighting, are training.

I dislike when I feel this way but I also know I've burnt myself out in the past and never want that to happen again. I'll start fresh on Tuesday, feel a little ashamed when I show up, but work harder to make up for it.

That's natural, especially when other factors in your life amp up the stress. I wasn't all there mentally last night in class either. Every now and then a small break can do good as long as you don't let your conditioning slip.

SevenStar
06-17-2005, 08:29 AM
two weeks is nothing, unless a person has a fight coming up. your conditioning may have slipped some, but you'll be back on track after a few sessions, unless you just sat on the couch and ate flan the whole time...

Ray Pina
06-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys. I don't feel so bad now and am looking forward to training tomorrow.

My condition is probbaly the same, if not a little better because I've been riding my bike or skating everywhere, just that when I got to where I was going there were a ton of surfers/rockers/hippies chillin .... I might as well of spent the past two weeks in Jamaica :)

Got it out of the system though. Well, not quite, but I realize going any further down that rode will do me no good. So tightening up the ship and focusing.

Ray Pina
06-21-2005, 06:07 AM
I know what you mean. When I was a kid I trained 5 days a week (back-to-back classes on Tues. and Thurs for black belts) and got burned out by the 7th grade ... I just wanted to be a kid.

Last night I thought about something. I was a little worried about my last fight because it was set only 3 or 4 days before and I thought the guy was 185 (the first guy that would have been smaller than me) and it turned out he was 265. I have this little rock that I use to KO the trout I catch, and it's taught me the finishing mindset, but I keep it on a nice Chinese wood base on my trophy rack. A few days before the fight I actually move it over my bed mantle, replacing the sort of sensual, fun loving Chinese immortal that is usually there. Some might think of this as sick, but it helps puts me in the proper frame of mind.

Anyway, I was going for two to three months like this and I just made some new friends that are sort of hippy and there's a cute chick in the crowd and I think my soul just needed a bit of that, a little time away from thinking about fighting and just kind of mellowing out.

I start training again tonight and looking forward to it. When I left my master was teaching me some very interesting Ba Gua twisting that sort of reinforces the body to take shots (thought I don't want to use that technology :) ) and also adds extra momentum into striking.

SPJ
06-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Relaxation, rest or break is totally necessary.

Once I was told the rubber band story.

Yes, you may stretch the rubber band (body and mind) so that it is longer.

If you relax it, so that it will stretch more next time.

On the other hand, if you never relax and always in a stretched state, you lost the plasticity and may snap on day.

There are times for 4 seasons.

There are times for work. There are also times to rest.

Balance.

:D

HearWa
06-21-2005, 03:04 PM
What Ray wrote:

When I left my master was teaching me some very interesting Ba Gua twisting that sort of reinforces the body to take shots (thought I don't want to use that technology ) and also adds extra momentum into striking.

What I read:

When I left my master was teaching me some very interesting Ba Gua twisting that sort of reinforces the body to take shots (thought I don't want to use that technology ) and also adds extra momentum into stroking.

:eek: