PDA

View Full Version : Who has the REAL [insert style name]?

Ou Ji
06-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Something funny occured to me and I'm sure I'll get railed for it but think about this:

Style X has all the sets and techniques that are found in styles Y and Z.
This means that style X is the original style and that styles Y and Z only have pieces of it so they are not the real style. (Reference the Lama Pai discussions and the Shaolin Do discussions) Both claim to be the original of their respective styles.

Style X has all the sets and techniques that are found in styles Y and Z (and the rest of the alphabet). This means that style X has stolen from the original styles and is therefore fake. (Reference the Shaolin Do discussions) Claims made against Shaolin Do but not against Lama Pai.

So when Shaolin Do says that other styles come from them (since they claim to be the original Shaolin style) and they use the similarity between their sets and others to substantiate their claim, nobody believes them. But when Lama Pai (lkfdmc) says the same about other Lama styles it's readily accepted.

Now when Lama Pai (original per lkfmdc) says that other Lama styles are just pieces of the original it seems to me that it could also be argued that lkfmdc's Lama Pai is a compilation of pieces of other styles (the argument against SD). Especially in light of the fact that his Sifu admittedly trained in other styles.

Believe me this isn't an attempt at trolling. It just seems to me that the basis of the argument in both situations is pretty much the same yet the concensus is that one is accepted while the other is completely discounted.

For the record I don't believe the Shaolin Do hype. It may have been originally based off of Shaolin but It's morphed into something entirely different today.

I also don't doubt that CTS was a fighter and had skills. It's just that I don't care much for the 'we have the real deal because yours doen't look like ours' argument. Seems to me it can go both ways in either of these two instances.

I don't think anyone has the original of any style unless it's a recent creation. They've all been changed over the years, stuff added and stuff subtracted. I just think it's funny that these arguments continue and that logic applied to one somehow doesn't apply to others. Just a thought.

MasterKiller
06-17-2005, 11:52 AM
LKFMDC has been very clear that there are lots of variations of Lama, and that CTS even had multiple versions of sets from other lineages. I don't think he ever claimed CTS was the source of all Lama Pai.

David Jamieson
06-17-2005, 11:57 AM
first, it is the height of impolite to speak ill of the dead.

second, there isn't a single style today that can trace it's forms further back than 300 years tops.

In fact, I am of the opinion, that forms can only really be traced according to sequence and shape. actual application of what's held within can't go back much further than 3 generations. Or shall I say, you, your teacher and his teacher.

Forms are like a big game of telephone when it comes down to it. They constantly change in expression with each person that learns one and no one can perform them the same as their brothers or teachers do.

Having said all that. Martial arts basically have more in common than opposition. But hey, everyone wants to feel they have something special. And tehy do if they practice enough. :D

Ou Ji
06-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Hmm, I don't recall speaking ill of the dead. Maybe you're a bit too sensitive about it. I do agree with the rest of your post though. My sentiments exactly.

MasterKiller
I guess I got a different impression from one of the recent posts on the CTS Stories thread. It seemed like somewhow the others were less legitimate. Maybe I just read it wrong. It caused me to see a similarity in the logic applied to Lama Pai and Shaolin Do. I'm sure it's blasphemous to mention both in the same sentence but I'm compleely impartial to both so I feel no reverence or hatred for either.

Can I say CTS or should I bow 3 times before mentioning his name now that he's no longer with us?

lkfmdc
06-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Don't put words in my mouth and then start a straw man argument. If you are gonna start a thread like this, go and find the words I was supposed to have said and cut and paste them, then start from there....

5 original students of Sing Lung, of them, 2 were very famous and taught many students...

There are three main Tibetan branches
white crane
Hop Ga
Lama Pai

A sub lineage with Lion's roar and a few non Sing Lung lineages

All of the three main branches have sub branches

Sifu Chan Tai San had about 18 different Tibetan martial arts teachers, from all three major branches, and a few of the sub lineages and one from a non Sing Lung lineage

What is complete? Well, some lineages have claws and no kicks, others have kicks and no claws. Many have strikes and no locks.

CTS taught everything. There was no aspect of the system that we didn't learn. So, yes, I feel I can comment on the system.

have a nice day

KC Elbows
06-18-2005, 09:44 PM
My style is all about filling in the blank.