PDA

View Full Version : All New Wing Chun Archives!

reneritchie
06-20-2005, 09:31 AM
In celebration of 10 years online, I'm proud to announce the launch of an all new, all better Wing Chun Archives:

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/index.php

If anyone has time to check it out, try out the features, and basically give it a good cyber-chi-sao, I would much appreciate it, along with any comments, positive or negative, you might have.

Thanks!

DRleungjan
06-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi There Rene,

Visually, wow, looks great! *goes back to check some more* ;)

Edmund
06-20-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm being a nitpicking bastid but I've found a little problem.

In the articles section under sections "Guest Articles by Various" and "Publisher's Pages by Rene Ritchie", the left column says 10 articles and there are 10 articles listed, however there is a "More" link on the right side!

I feel it's false advertising: There are no more articles under that link than the 10 articles. :p

(Also the order of the listing under Publisher Pages is different from the order under the "More" link.)

reneritchie
06-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Dang, Ed! That's awesome! I'll have to go give that SQL whatfor and try and see who it thinks it's foolin'! :)

azwingchun
06-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Going to take some time getting used to the new site....but looks awesome!!!!!!

anerlich
06-21-2005, 02:57 PM
I like it, Rene.

You've obviously put a fair bit of time in to devising useful links for site navigation. It looks a bit more crowded with sidebars on both sides but personally I like that.

reneritchie
06-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Did we lose some posts while the forum was down? I thought I replied to Andrew?

Ultimatewingchun
06-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Yeah, Rene...there's definitely some posts missing - like mine - saying that I liked your site! :)

anerlich
06-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Yeah Rene, you did reply to me and I too you - I liked the face in the mirror thing, though I didn't see it at first.

Ultimatewingchun
07-01-2005, 05:41 AM
Rene:

Now that I've congratulated you - it's tme to do some nitpicking. :D

I just got finished reading the William Cheung biography listed on your site - and there is one glaring error, and one glaring omission:

1) You listed his year of birth as 1941. This is incorrrect. He was born in 1940.

2) There is absolutely NO MENTION whatsoever of the Traditional Wing Chun (TWC) that he began to teach openly after the death of Yip Man.

Now I realize that to some people this system, and particularly his claims as to who taught him this system, are controversial. So I have a suggestion for you. (And if you add what I'm about to say to his biography I don't think that Marty Goldberg, who you say wrote the existing biography on your website, would have a problem with it.) Although I've never met Marty, he and I spoke over the phone a number of times during the duration of a certain TWC episode about a decade ago. So I think I know where Marty is coming from; anyway, you could certainly discuss it with him.

So here goes. You could say something like the following:

"After the death of Yip Man, according to a vow of secrecy that William Cheung claims was required of him, he was then allowed to begin teaching a version of the art that he calls Traditional Wing Chun, which emphasizes a certain set of footwork, attacking entry techniques, a centraline principle in addition to the centerline, and a blindside strategy that aren't necessarily found or emphasized in most other systems of Wing Chun, although there is certainly some overlap between TWC and other systems."

I think if you worded it like this - no one on either side of the fence could take issue with your description. But quite frankly, as it stands now, your complete bypass of the issue IS insulting to the thousands of people who have been involved in the TWC system over the last 32 years. One gets the impression after reading the biography on your website that TWC doesn't even exist!

Phil Redmond
07-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Yes Rene, Cheung Sifu was born October 10, 1940, the month before Bruce Lee.
I also noticed that there was no link to my website. :(
Phil

martyg
07-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Hello Victor,

Now I realize that to some people this system, and particularly his claims as to who taught him this system, are controversial. So I have a suggestion for you. (And if you add what I'm about to say to his biography I don't think that Marty Goldberg, who you say wrote the existing biography on your website, would have a problem with it.)

I contributed a few bits of info to that back in the mid-90's, which is the only reason my name was up on that (just to give credit). If I remember at the time, Rene wanted to keep everything on the site non-poltical, which is why he took the format that was presented. I'm not a TWC person anymore, and have nothing to do with the entry. It's all between you and Rene, have fun. :)

Although I've never met Marty,

Huh? Victor, we've met in person a number of times when I came in for a few seminars in New York. I think I still have a picture of you and I at a seminar Sonny hosted back in '94. Last time I saw you was the weapons seminar William did at Nabi Su in '97.

he and I spoke over the phone a number of times during the duration of a certain TWC episode about a decade ago.

The Andrew Drahiem Experience(tm)? ;) I think I still have the materials you emailed me on that, backed up somewhere on a hard drive (it was a couple of computers ago).

So I think I know where Marty is coming from; anyway, you could certainly discuss it with him.

Again, I have nothing to do with that entry other than passing Rene a few things at the time. He was just kind enough to give credit to me for that.

reneritchie
07-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey Victor,

I've deliberately not put a lot of stuff about the current generation of masters, and have also reduced some of what was previously there.

See, it was intended to highlight and honor the ongoing tradition of our art, but people kept emailing me trying to use it as a political weapon, wanting their name added and/or someone elses removed, or telling me to add only their sifu got the real so-many-section dummy or knife form or extra what-not, or had the most time or whatever.

It basically killed my enthusiasm for that section. So, I decided I will limit the information on the current generation to who they learned from and roughly when, and where they live now.

Since most of them have their own websites, not to mention legions of followers, I'm sure they can get out whatever additional info they want, and I can keep from wanting to just tear the whole thing down in frustration over constant politiking and infighting (no pun intended).

The Wing Chun Archives has been and always will be about what is complementary and what brings us together, not what is contradictory and tears us apart.

reneritchie
07-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Hey Phil,

Did you add the link? I haven't seen any either. If you didn't add it yet, just go to http://www.wingchunkuen.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=AddLink fill in exactly what you want it to say, and it will be up asap.

I'll fix Cheung sifu's birthdate! Thanks!

martyg
07-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Yes Rene, Cheung Sifu was born October 10, 1940, the month before Bruce Lee.
I also noticed that there was no link to my website. :(
Phil

You have to manually enter your links through the address Rene just posted. I had to add mine as well. :)

Ultimatewingchun
07-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Marty:

My apologies for not remembering that I've met you before...and on more than one occasion!!!

Geez...I must be getting old. :eek:

There was a guy from back in my Moy Yat days (who I didn't remember) who really took me to task on the NEW YORK CITY EVENT thread - he thought I was snubbing him purposely. :)

In any event, I'll take it up with Rene.

Hi, Rene:

I read your post...still think you're needlessly bypassing the issue of TWC's existence. But it's nothing I'm going to lose sleep over. :cool:

(I still like the website).

Yaksha
07-11-2005, 03:18 PM
I always thought that listening to a master and his students brag, though maybe disheartening, tells a lot about what they envision as their basic principles.

Many martial arts masters are credited with saying something to the effect of "there are no hidden or secret techniques, just the basics." even YipMan.

So by listening to someone brag, you get some great nutrient rich soil in which to plant your seed.

martyg
07-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Marty:

My apologies for not remembering that I've met you before...and on more than one occasion!!!

Geez...I must be getting old. :eek:

Well, I'm sure you've met so many people over the years in the WWCKFA that it's hard to keep track of everyone. No big deal. I'll still try and dig up that stuff if I still have it. Want a copy of Drahiem's hospital report?

reneritchie
07-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks Victor!

And you can't forget Marty, he's the one who looks like Seinfeld on steroids... :)

Ultimatewingchun
07-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Seinfeld? Draheim's hospital report?

No thanks, guys...I think it's just time to move on. :p

reneritchie
07-13-2005, 04:22 AM
Tim Burton on HGH?