PDA

View Full Version : the necessity for herbs with internal arts practice

brucelee2
04-29-2001, 06:20 PM
I just read 'Scholar Warrior', by Den Ming_Dao, author of the Wandering Taoist. In it he contends that internal artists must supplement with proper herbs, otherwise their practice will ultimately be damaging/debilitating to them. It seems his teacher is a credible source, but I had never heard this before and my teacher does not support this theory. Has anyone else heard of it? I do now sometimes use goji (wolfberry), longyuan (dragon eye), chrysanthemum, lily, apricot seeds, and lotus seeds and jujubes (red dates).

Daniel Madar
04-29-2001, 07:09 PM
I've heard that it can be detrimental if you don't eat right, but there is no tradition of taking herbs in my lineages. My teacher has recommended certain foods to certain people, but that is on a case by case basis.

Internal Boxer
04-29-2001, 11:10 PM
You have to be very careful when taking such herbs. Chrysanthemum, pagoda tree seeds, and astrilla root, affects the Liver which cools the blood so if you suffer from skin rashes etc, chinese herbalists will recommend it. But because what helps the Liver, will have a damaging affect on the kidneys, hence the wolfberries are given to provide balance as they tonify the Kidneys. Before you take any herbs whatsoever consult a chinese herbalist cause you make take herbs that could induce health problems (as they are potent substances). What Den Ming_Dao could be refering to is take a general mixture in very very small quantities as not to upset the equillibrium of your body chemistry. But you must let a chinese Doc check you out before you take anything at all, and follow their recommendations.