PDA

View Full Version : Alasdair's Blog

Neo
06-28-2005, 04:10 AM
****...trust me to start a blog and get it wiped out.

Can't remember what I first said in way of introductions, but basically decided to write this as a way of forcing myself to keep a record, and to also write something for a change instead of continually reading this forum.

Have done wing chun since 1988, first with a couple of James Sinclair instructors who then joined up with samuel Kwok, then as an instructor with the NWCA (Andrew Cameron) which became the UK branch of the EWTO. Was with EBMAS for a year or so when Sifu Emin left, but have stayed with Master Steve tappin of Escrima Concepts and his World martial Arts Alliance.

Mainly do the Crossfit workouts at the moment, as these have given me the most benefit.

Also recently taken up judo to add to my skills base.

So, training last night was working lat sao, particularly the garn dar defences and then working kwan dar defences.

Today:

Crossfit WOD:

5 rounds:
400m run
95lb OHS 15 reps

lost note with my final time but it was on the 20 minute mark. Wife wanted a treadmill recently so this has enabled me to do the WOD involving running, while my 2 year old plays in the garage! Times were 1:37, 1:36 x2 1:35 x2.

Then done about 120 reps of ab work, before stretching off.

Wing chun tonight, probably working more lat sao. Have a 3rd dan jiu jitsu now coming along and has given some good insights last week into the use of pressure point striking for hold releases, for example the figure four lock on ground.

Sevenstar:

You asked about o soto gari. No, we haven't been shown different angles, just what I've seen in the textbooks I have and on the judo information website. I should be grateful if you would expand upon this :confused:

Neo
06-29-2005, 01:49 AM
Tuesday 28/6
Class

Few in last night, so woke them up a bit with some of the judo team exercises, but modified them with a wing chun flavour, for example, chain punches and squats at the end of the shuttles.

Then went on to technical night, working the 3SG lat sao, some not having worked this much. Hard for them to get the kwan dar movements, ended up having to break down the movement. Worked from traditional rather than from the lat sao punching, move up to that next week. Key points was that attackers were sometimes forgetting that they should be feeding a backfist, and with a forward pressure to enable the partner to turn their kwan sao. More footwork drilling required, especially turning. :(

Cooled down with SNT.

Neo
06-29-2005, 05:18 AM
crossfit WOD
1 pullup in the 1st minute, 2 pull ups in 2nd minute, escalating until you cannot do the amount in the minute.Liked this one alot, even though it was PUs.
Got to 12 mins and was starting to struggle, then beginner came round for a wing chun session. Worked on his inside and outside punching from lat sao, trying to reduce his tension in his arms and over reliance of force to move partners arm. Then got him onto the bag to have some impact experience. Then worked on his footwork, advancing stance broken down before adding the punches back in. He started training recently at 48, not done anything before, so body takes a bit longer to lose the tension. Got there though. finished with first two sections of SNT to get them off pat, start 3rd section next week.

When he left, finished with some wood chopper twists using cable, and then T bar rows, 2 sets of 10 with 108lb.

Saw some useful clips on the NCSF website (http://www.ncsf.org/tools/video.aspx#) that I might incorporate. Want to incorporate more twisting actions, rather than just straight forward push and pulls, albeit composite movements. Definite plus for major judo throws I think.

Judo session later.

Neo
06-30-2005, 05:22 AM
Judo last night

running warmup around mats, to the call, drop 10 pressups, then 10 sit ups, then 10 squats, then 7's then 4's then 1's.

Breakfalls.

Hook and roll turnover, kick their legs to shift them down, then okuri eri jime, sliding collar strangle.
Same again, but opponent's head down, push their head to side, hook leg over and cross arm lock, juji gatame.

Same again, but roll to side and legs out to kami shiho gatame Upper four quarters.

Worked on the same blooming turnover and hold down that we've been doing for the past three weeks, complicated to explain, can't see it in the textbooks I've got, but provides a leg strangle, an arm lock as well.

Worked on push and pull. Both partners pushing, on call both pull. Change on each call, call gets quicker, who can unbalance first.

Uchi komi next.

Push partner, pull them short, then tai otoshi.
Same again, with ippon seoi nage.
Same again, with o goshi
Worked left grip as well.
Partner walks back, o soto gari.
Finding judo compellingly interesting, and just ordered Osaekomi (Judo Masterclass Techniques) by Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki. Emule is getting worked aswell now for judo stuff.

This morning

Crossfit is a rest day, so did the monday workout I missed.
10 rounds:
10 pull ups
20 situps
30 squats.

thought the squats would kill after the DOMS I got from OH Squats earlier in the week. Worked it out of them though, it was my grip on the pull ups that blew.

Had to cancel class at my place tonight due to son's play, but might still get chance to do some form and bagwork if the missus goes out running with the neighbour.

Neo
07-01-2005, 05:42 AM
Friday 1/7
Crossfit in the morning:

For time:
80 squats
95 pound Push press, 10 reps
60 squats
95 pound Push press, 20 reps
40 squats
95 pound Push press, 30 reps
20 squats

11:12

Last set of push press was broken into three sets.

Then a few rounds on the heavy bag:
2min rds with 30sec rest.
Huen bo with lin wan kuen
double punch with pie jarn hacking elbow
double punch, hook, number two strike hammer fist with same hand as hook.
falling technique with continuous chain punches and back to standing
All out round with punches and elbows
No kicking as legs whacked.
House warming party tomorrow for new neighbours, no driving so drink may be on the cards.
Got hold of mike swain's first judo tape, pinning and transitions, some good stuff on there.
Looking at possibility of local tournie, students mentioned. About four months away, not sure yet.

Neo
07-04-2005, 02:35 AM
devastated.

party on Saturday night, did nothing stupid other than stand around a big telly watching Live 8 and drinking loads (a rarity nowadays).

Wake up Sunday morning and could hardly walk, shooting pain in the left hip joint.
Shuffled around all day Sunday, still in pain today, taken some diclofenac and pain killers so hoping will be in better shape in the next few days.

Wouldn't mind if I had dome something stupid, then I could feel guilty, but this is annoying...

Neo
07-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Monday 4/7
Painkillers helped to get rid of ache down the side of leg, still need them though.

Only had a couple round last night for training, and started late due to watching some tapes I had got hold of.

Worked on entering with kau bo and lin wan kuen. Students working on smooth transition from punches to elbows/knees/controls. Nice engagement with front knee press slides up to knee strike (not on left knee though!). training partner is 18 stone so there's always plenty of mass behind his punches, quite fast too so good to work against. Worked on pressing punch defence against pak sao punch within lat sao. Then kwan dar if they continue from the pak dar with lap dar. worked that quite a bit due to stance needing a bit of sharpening up.

They finished with SNT as they need to get that sorted. Still forgetting the odd bit.

Neo
07-06-2005, 04:03 AM
Class Tuesday 6/7

Hip still aching, awkward for lifting knee. better though.

Anyway, class was a good group. Some team fitness sprints, with different exercises at the end of the sprints, such as abdominal curls with chain punches, backward fall with chain punches etc. Footwork drills quickly; huen bo with lin wan kuen, advancing step with yap guek, etc. Students then worked on lat sao punching inside and outside. New students worked on bong guek from lat sao, others worked on kwan dar defence against the pak dar/lap dar attack. Then on to chi sao, with guys now getting to grips with poon sao, working their basic attacks.

No exercise this morning due to hip and son's induction, judo tonight to test out hip, then if okay I'll be starting again in the morning. I hope...

Neo
07-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Judo Training eve 6/7

Warm up, ukemi, then some ground shuffle exercises.

Worked on that awkward leg strangle which i now know is sankaku jime. Starting to get it now, and working on the finer points. :cool:

worked side four quarter hold yoko shiho gatame, kesa gatame scarf hold, kami shiho gatame upper four quarters hold, with opponent trying to get out of it. Held down well. :)

Back to back groundwork randori, had to new guys start, heavy set, younger, and one had done judo as a kid. Tapped one, but found the stronger guy hard work. was in poor position when end was called. :mad: Got a good side four quarter hold one one, tapped another with a choke but not sure why he tapped, didn't seem like I'd got it on.

O uchi gari, o goshi, tai otoshi, and osoto gari drilled. then one out and throw everyone three times with any throw.

Finally, ground randori again from seiza, big guys over power and having to turn them as I fall back. Next person from the group dives in as soon as he thinks one has got the upper hand and starts from there.

Hip screaming! Out came the pain killer before bed time... :(

Neo
07-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Thursday evening class...relatively all beginners so lat sao defences against opening up forround houses to front thighs, and some of the self defence program against attempted hand grab and arm lock.

friday morning 5k, lost the scrap with the time on it but notice its on tomorrow's CF WOD, so might stick in another for the hell of it.

Saturday rest day.

Sunday did the CF WOD:

Three rounds for time:
Run 400 meters
1 ½ pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 55 pound dumbbell swing)
12 Pull-ups

About 14 minutes, interruptions from kids.
Then did 5 rounds using Bas Rutten's thai boxing tape, difficult when kids are noisy in the garage. Finished with some ab exercises.

Neo
07-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Monday morning, did CF WOD, too hot though for anything else.

Five rounds for max reps of:
Body weight bench press
Pull-ups
BP 168 x3, 158 x2
PUs 8, 8, 8,7, 6

Bench press was a struggle and have done much better in the past. 168lb is the most weight I have. PU's need to be more frequent and not sure if I need to suplement with more strength work to the CF workouts.

Training tonight, if only my regular guy then chi sao and see if he'll do some judo escapes as well.

Looking forward to Thursday, got a session with a 3rd dan in jiu jitsu that's been coming to my Tuesday class. He's into the use of pressure points (not the Dilman method though, from what i remember him saying) and we should have a good session. he's already shown a good one for the figure four lock so will pick his brains for more.

Neo
07-12-2005, 02:50 AM
Training Monday night

Too hot, worked chi sao with training partner, working the simple attacks for him as he's been doing wing chun for nearly six months now, attends the most sessions.

Then worked upa escape from opponent in mount.

This morning, did 5k run in unbearable british heat 23:32.

Class tonight.

Neo
07-13-2005, 03:55 AM
Tuesday evening class:

More senior guys worked simple roll over back fist attack, and the lifting punch defence from fook sao, or bong sao if strong back fist. Looked at follow on, tan sao becoming mang geng sau with twist to throw, or from bong sao edfence getting into standing shoulder hold - throw or choke from position.
Newbie worked on kau bo and chain punches, getting in against diagonal punch, adding on a follow up such as elbow. Then worked his kau bo against a low kick to the groin, needs to attack into the opponent with his body.

Worked from opponent in mount again, utilising arm lock throw, keeping head covered with arm against blows. also using armpit pressure points using chuen kiu.

Wednesday morning, not much time, stuck Bas Rutten's Physical workout on my PDA and did that for 30mins. Sucking air after the ascending count of tuck jumps.

Neo
07-14-2005, 01:52 AM
Wednesday evening Judo:

Warm up, ukemi, handstands, cartwheels, wide leg forward rolls, etc.

uchi komi practice:

tai otoshi
ippon seoi nage
o goshi
osoto gari

new technique: koshi guruma ( hip wheel) (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/koshiguruma.htm)

then five throws each working in group of three.

Then tachi randori in the groups of three:
Stay out for two, then next one stays on for two, etc.

Then winner stays on. Had new guy with us who had down a bit in past. Much smaller than me but could tell he done weight training as he was very stocky and powerful. actually found him more difficult to work with than the new guy from last week. His small size and power made him difficult to get anything on. Found this in uchikomi as well, having to drop right down to get underneath him.

Then ne waza randori, from knees. Again, small guy was immensely strong and powered you over. Got a kesa gatame on one of the guys so was happy with that, tried to go to guard against other guy to see what I could work with but he passed too quickly for side control. Oh well, it's all good fun. makes me question whether I do enough strength training though...

Pressure point instructor coming over today, see whether its useful....

Neo
07-14-2005, 04:23 AM
Hmmm....

Just had session with ju jitsu guy. As I may have mentioned, he's come to my classes to learn wing chun.

He decided to show some of the techniques against throat grabs, single hand and double hand. Obviously the single is more realistic as the other hand will be coming in as punch. Worked very well and didn't feel as if they were techniques for technique's sake. reasoning behind alot of the movement. Use of opponent's body against him, body movement to break opponent's stance and balance. good stuff.

Worked on the hammer lock. His method worked. Not so sure about the use of hau gum sau now, as I think my arm would have been chicken winged. Think this is more for as they put it on. His hammer lock is different to the one you see being used in Leung Ting's Siu Nim Tao book.

Will try to recall the details more, later.

Neo
07-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Thursday Night:

Worked chi sau with training partner after discussing usefulness of the ju jitsu shown earlier in the day. Other three blew me out. Worked more on his forward intent, attacking off the changes, particularly bong sau, leading to bong sau lap sau. Applying in lat sao. He's getting there...

Friday was a complete **** up. :mad: Had to go shopping with my little boy, blew out the morning. Missed the deadline on home shopping and lost my slot. Won't do that again...

Saturday and Sunday were my planned rest days and only managed to take dog for a run, me running too, Sunday night. Very annoyed.

To cap it all off, the front door of my new house that's waiting for a replacement new door broke and locked me out. An hour later, their maintenance engineer breaks us in. Morning lost... :mad: Hopefully will try and get a session in this afternoon then further training this evening.

Neo
07-19-2005, 04:03 AM
Monday Night: Class

Two new people come over, one's the instructor for he Liverpool chapter of the European Historical Combat Guild (http://www.ehcg.net/), which has ties with the Alliance through Master Steve Tappin. He wanted to learn an unarmed combat system and thought it would be good to hook up. he brought a bag of swords and bits, which my eldest boy thought was cool (see atached pic).

Talked and trained through some basics for the session, with the EHCG instructor drawing a lot of comparisons to some of the works he's studied, albeit weapons based. His wife seemed impressed, as she has been looking for something to train that's suitable for self defence training. If nothing else, gained another link that could be useful for the future...

Neo
07-20-2005, 02:37 AM
Mix of beginners and a couple of intermediates.
warmup and basic punching.
Beginners worked on their footwork, working the advancing stance, the new beginners just punching, the others working yap gerk with punches, then front kick and punches. Then working on lat sao punching, diagonal for the moment. Then moving on to interception against a straight punch not crossing the midline. Then working the yap gerk defence against charlie horse. Finally working on the preemptive strike in self defence with lap sao control.

Intermediates worked on their turning stance, then getting into poon sao, as one of them is just starting it. need some work on his positions. Worked on simple attack, palm strike and jum sau defence, looking at position of other hand.

Then some simple chi gerk exercise, working bong gerk and side kick, adding either an elbow strike, or a cross stamp kick. Work on double pull with arms and knee press, rising to knee to chest. Then working on counter.
Stretching.

Neo
07-20-2005, 04:17 AM
Warm up with 168lb deadlift 4 sets of 3

Crossfit WOD:
"Fran"
Three rounds, 21-15- and 9 reps, for time of:
95-pound Thruster
Pull-ups

13:24

two sets of reverse push ups off the stepper's frame that I also use for dips

Bas Rutten's thai boxing workout on the PDA, 6 rounds of 3 mins, 1 minute rest. combinations called out, add a kick or a knee to each one. Not bad, gets you working.

Stretching.

Judo tonight.

Neo
07-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Another new guy started tonight...they are just getting bigger. Must have been 6'5" at least over 20 stone. Could someone small and weedy join please who isn't tall or built like a brick **** house? Thanks
Warm-up with usual running and press ups, sit ups, star jumps, tuck jumps, then ukemi, and some ground shuffling exercises.
Worked on practising hold down, person underneath trying to escape. Wish they would start on showing the technical escapes as I ended up with the big guy holding me down in upper four quarter hold…

Strangle on opponent in turtle. Approach from the right side, right hand under opponent’s neck and grab far collar. Left hand reaches over to grab opponent’s leg trouser leg and start to walk around the neck towards your right hand while leaning over their body, applying strangle.

From turtle, opponent reaches over and wraps arm under far shoulder. Control arm, kick leg out on same side, and roll them over you as you roll.

Opponent resists by steadying against pull, so moved head underneath them and out to apply an arm lock.

Juji gatame from the bottom, opponent has double lapel grip.

Uchi komi: working Ippon seoi nage, o goshi, tai otoshi, o uchi gari, etc.

30 secs continuous sit ups, then 30 secs continuous press ups

Stretching.

Nick Forrer
07-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Hey Alastair

I can sympathise. Got to grapple with a British Olympic Judo silver medalist on friday. The guy was huuge. Like fighting a grislly bear. He just kind of ambled through my guard as if it wasnt there and just lay on me!

Neo
07-24-2005, 11:02 PM
yep, except mine are less skilled and I can't shift the blighters! Bad enough you can't hit them, I got caught a couple of times by my instructor who spotted me putting my hand across their face "I was trying to put my arm across" ;)

Was it Ray Stevens?

Neo
07-25-2005, 04:51 AM
Warmup with 44lb barbell shoulder raise and then upright rows, 3 sets
Crossfit WOD:
Five rounds for time of:
45 pound barbell Overhead walking lunges, 50 feet
21 Burpees

14:16
A couple of sets of bicep curls, situps then stretching

Jiu-jitsu instructor called, along with one of my new students. Worked on their huen bo with lin wan kuen. First isolating the hand & feet movements, then together in air, then focus mitt, then against partner stepping into magnetic zone. Worked on punching in lat-sao, inside and outside. Jiu-jitsu instructor then took us through the following defences:
Standing rear strangle,
Standing rear strangle with knife, pressed against face (in other hand)
Held against wall with knife to throat.

These worked well,the rear strangle basically involving a claw hand twist to the flesh of chest, ribs. Not sure about its effectiveness if the aggressor is heavily clothed.

21 July Thursday evening class
Working chi sao still, bong sao collapsing under pressure to lap sao/fak sao. Working follow-ups.
Continuing chi geuk exercises, applying into lat-sao.

Friday & Saturday
Rest days

Neo
07-25-2005, 04:52 AM
Bench press 10,9,8,7 reps ~ 128lb
Clean 10,9,8,7 reps ~ 108lb

8 rounds of Bas Rutten's workout 2min rounds 1min rest
Gonna do exercises next time during rests.
Stretched

Neo
07-25-2005, 04:56 AM
Wife off this week so some decorating is being done, so won't be doing loads this week.
CF WOD:
For time:
20 inch Box jump, 50 reps
15 foot Rope climb, 5 ascents (did 50 pullups instead)
1.5 pood (40lb) Kettlebell swing, 50 reps
50 sit-ups
40 pound dumbell Hang power clean, 50 reps
800 meter Run
50 Back extensions

Approx 20-25 minutes due to wife doing a mini version of this and interruptions from son.
Stretched.

Neo
07-29-2005, 07:31 AM
Punching
huen bo and lin wan kuen, then adding backward fall and recovery.
Turning stance.
Beginners:
Inside & outside punching in lat sao.
Gaun sao from IRAS, then from advancing stance intercepting.
The two more advanced beginners worked on the jum dar defence against the inside punch stepping through.
Intermediates
Lat sao, mixing it up, throwing different punches.
Poon sao.
Simple attacks.
Working SNT section 7 application.
Front kick, opponent avoids and lau sao. Work on clinch man geng sao, falling and getting the upper hand.

Neo
07-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Deadlift 138lb x 3, 148lb x 5

No time to do much else :mad: got hold of some Sonnon tapes, got some more to get, look quite good. :)

Neo
07-31-2005, 02:10 PM
warmup running
Team sprints (run to end exercise and run back):
10 press ups
10 situps
10 squat thrusts
10 star jumps
3 forward break falls
3 back break falls
3 side break falls
3 front break falls
Working in a continuous chain around group with a forward throw then a back throw
With partner:
Counters
Tai otoshi, counter by stepping over and sweeping with other leg.
Tai otoshi, opponent steps over, so step through with o uchi gari.
O uchi gari, partner moves leg, switch to tai otoshi, or another o uchi gari.
O soto gari, partner moves leg, tai otoshi.
Standing randori:
Within each group one attack, one defend, then switch roles, then both attacking. One stays on, next one on.
Whole group: winner stays on.

Neo
07-31-2005, 02:14 PM
5k run on treadmill 24:25
Slower than my last one
Three 2 minute rounds on bag using Bas Rutten tape.

Class:
Focused on 1st section chi sao, as they're starting to learn it. key point was how it can change if you don't have the forward intent.
Also working it into lat sao.

Last bit was clinch, working on countering neck clinch before knee strike came in, using head twist.

Neo
07-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Dropped eldest boy off for his judo and nipped over to running track. 400m warmup. Performed 100m sprint and recovery within 60 seconds. 12 reps. Felt tired, end of the week tired.

Neo
07-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Rest - sore throat. Could be from the paint in the bedroom.

Neo
07-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Feeling better, thought I'd have a quick blast while thewife does her exercise, must remember not to give her exercises to do that involve the bench and bar when I need it!
Six 3 minute rounds on heavy bag, 1 minute in between with either press-ups, upright rows, bicep curls, military presses, squats.

Neo
08-02-2005, 02:32 AM
afternoon:
Clean and Jerk
5x5 90sec rest

128lb throughout, did 8 pressouts on the 5th rep.

Class:

3 2-minute rounds on pads, 30 secs rest

Worked through lat sao prog 2

Interested in exploring more from the clinch, not something I have done for a long time (a few years back) and reading AndrewS's blog got me wondering. greco roman wrestling as I understand it does all attacks above the waist so might look around for some info on this. Worked on tan sao out from neck-elbow, use of tok sao, head twist to counter neck clinch gained from neck-elbow.

Went through SNT and CK once.

20 sec tabata interval with 10sec rest 3 sets each of:
squats
press ups
situps
pull ups (or lat pull down)

Really getting fed up about what to do for a training program. cross fit serves me well as I'm not training foe a particular season or up and coming event, although WODs invloving 120 pullups and dips do nothing to motivate me. I find that depressing from the start. A linear periodisation program would make me feel like I was losing out on something else (or would it?). Guess I'm gonna have to figure out something soon and stop wasting life.

Neo
08-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Afternoon workout:

Row 500 M
Run 400 M
Sumo Deadlift High Pull-50 Reps (45lbs)
Run 400M
Row 500M
Run 400M
Sumo Deadlift High Pull-50 Reps (45lbs)
Run 400M

17 mins

Front of shoulder sore...

Class

breakfalls one way, sprint back. Front, back, rolling. twice on each
Advancing step with chain punches, sprint back x 2
2x2min rounds shadow work, calling out the combos, 30 sec rest.
Double punch-hook-right combo on pads
Low leg takedown defence, opponent throwing a feint punch/kick to enter.
From lat sao, tok sao to attempted double underhooks.
Ease down a bit for a breather, taking guys through chum kiu 1-4 a couple of times. Up again working on neck clinch-knee defence, and then some pummelling to wind up.

AndrewS
08-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Alaisdair,

as far as workouts go- here's a rough template for what I've been doing and having fun with-

DE- speed day, everything quick
Oly- whatever I'm working on
GPP/recovery- based on weak points, stuff which I think is sport specific and fun
ME-something heavy
Oly
GPP-recovery

I throw in rest as needed, mix my GPP/recovery with technique work sometimes, and generally play around. This keeps me pretty entertained.

Andrew

Neo
08-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Cheers AndrewS, will post up what I've been doing over the past few days and then will post a weekly overview of what I manage to get through on a good week...

Shoulder killing this morning. Decided to save it for judo tonight.

Judo:
Andy the 2nd dan took class, like his classes. Likes to drill the techniques.
Warmup running around mat with exercises. Good stretches.
10 pull throughs each side.
10 roll overs each side.
Spent first part of tonight working on naked strangle hadaka-jime. Partner in turtle. Sit astride with legs hooked in. Drive legs backward as a wedge to bring their legs down flat to prone position. Apply naked strangle keeping close to their body. If they defend with their chin, use phoenix fist-like action to run along the jawline. Obviously the point behind the ear attacked in reality. Cross armlock juji-gatame on opponent lying prone. Sit astride, wedge foot against their side of face. Get hooked under their other arm and roll forwards, pulling arm out, get leg over neck. Lift hips to get more effect.
Ne-waza randori. Got a cross armlock and a naked strangle on the first partner. Then up against the "pitbull".
A stalemate, he couldn't pass guard, tried a couple of times to get cross armlock on him. Then up against other big guy, got a good kesa gatame on him. Pleased with the effort.
Finally finished with tai otoshi, must make sure extended leg is bent.

Neo
08-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Morning session with 3rd dan atemi jiu-jitsu. I had looked through his student syllabus and highlighted the parts I wanted to cover. Quick run through the basic escapes from frontal strangles. Standing side headlock brought up some good points. Worked straight arm lock, shoulder arm lock, back hammer lock, bar choke and T choke, escape from full and half nelson.

Ran through Man sao deformations with him when it came to his stuff. next week I will give him more time.

Evening:
Lost the toss of the coin with the wife as to who would babysit the neighbours' kid. Cancelled class. Then neighbour cancelled. Very annoyed. So did seven 3 minute rounds on bag using Bas Rutten tape.
Loads of abdominals with ab wheel and ankle weights.

Neo
08-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Starting my first day of weight program. Squats a problem with no squat rack, especially the back squat. Not sure what to do, too expensive for a birthday present. Anyway, going back to basics for 4-6 weeks before a cycle of explosive lifting for 4-6 weeks.
Weights: 1min rest intervals
Front squat 5x5 108lb.
Bench press 5x5 148lb, 138 the rest.
T-Bar rows 3x8 148lb.
Good mornings 3x6 88lb
Close grip bench press 3x6 88lb, 108 the rest. Shoulder sore but held out.
Abdominals 3x15 30lb

Spoke to Chris the head coach tonight at lad's judo class. Invited me along to the advanced class on Friday nights, which is usually the senior grade juniors. Some of the adults have asked for another class. If only I was single! Might see if I can squeeze the odd one in! Also going to go to Area grading in November. Two bouts will be part of deciding what grade you are ready for. Looking forward to that.

Saturday 6 August 2005
Rest!

Neo
08-09-2005, 04:43 AM
8 rounds Tabata squats with 44lb weight held against chest. Lowest number was 13, highest was 17 I think.

150 situps

7 2-minute rounds on heavy bag, as usual using good ol' Bas.

Neo
08-09-2005, 04:46 AM
AM
(1) Deadlifts 5x2 168lb x 5 (most weight I have, unfortunately)
(2) Overhead Press 5x5 : 64lbx2, 74lbx3
(3) Shrugs 3x8 148lb, 168lb x 2
(4) Bicep curls 3x8 64lbx2, 74lb
(5) Calf raises 3x20 74lb
(6) Abdominals 3x15 44lb

PM Class

Chi sao
Working 1st section chi sao
Program 2 Lat Sao
Cross armlock from guard.

Neo
08-16-2005, 08:23 AM
The rest of last week was a bit manic. :( Just got back from a long weekend in Berlin (thoroughly recommended, along with an AA guidebook and pigeon german phrase cards!) so everything was rushed leading up to that. :cool:

Tuesday's class was working on lat sao prog 3, working on the kwan dar, and then chi sao.

Wednesday was annoying, as I had a two hour fitness personal training session, someone wanting a mad blitz before holiday. Normally i wouldn't do that long, but filled the time with instruction so it didn't kill her. Annoyed bcause she was gonna pay for a lot of sessions, but has now blown her holiday budget so that's down the pan. Luckily I've got some martial arts choreography work for a dance group, so that will bring in some pocket money. Judo in the evening was good, some different grips and breaking the grip to get dominant position, best moment being a tomoe nage during randori. Very cheeky, especially as i hadn't been shown it.

Thursday morning was session with jiu jitsu 3rd dan, his turn for more input so worked on his stance turning, man sao deformations, basic hand defences from advancing stance, and learning the cycle of dan chi sao. Thursday evening session was grading covering 1st lat sao program.

Friday morning cleared off to Berlin, and now totally depressed as having not done anything decent since wednesday. No interruptions tomorrow, so will probably do a double up session in the morning, and judo in the evening. :D

Neo
08-19-2005, 06:09 AM
Class

Footwork drills.
pad work->zig zag steps and punches against focus mitts, advancing step and passing step against pads, front kick against shield, slant thrust kick against shield.
Inside and outside punching within lat sao.
Lat sao-defence against snap kick and sickle kick.
Gwat sao/pak sao->lau sao against roundhouse. Four without dropping opponent, fifth rep throw to the floor.
Dan chi sao beginners.
Luk sao with one or two random attacks, then back into luk sao.

Neo
08-19-2005, 06:29 AM
AM
Upper body 1 minute rest interval
Bench press
1 set 4x158lb

Dumbbell Incline Bench Press
6x88lb,8x88, 6x88, 8x88.
Left shoulder killing still.

Bent over Dumbbell Row
15x88lb
12x88
12x88
10x88lb

bent over cable flyes single arm
44lb (I think!, got two weight scales on it depending on pulley and can't remember which one!)

Judo:
Team warm ups:
Sprint, 10 press ups, sprint back.
same with situps, star jumps, tuck jumps

working down your team, perform five tai otoshis, throwing on the fifth each time, sprinting as well. Left sided first, then right sided. Then with o uchi gari, then pull through from turtle partner. Next with you kneeling, opponent standing puts arm across back to reach underneath, hug arm and roll them over you.
Then with sangaku jime.

With parnter, worked on cross armlock from a face down opponent, then roll over was a bit tricky, hopefully work on those again.

Also started working on okuri ashi barai (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/okuriashiharai.htm).

Finished with plenty of randori.

Neo
08-19-2005, 06:43 AM
AM

Ten 2 minute rounds on bag, alternating left and right lead.

Atemi ju-jitsu with 3rd dan. Worked on same locks as a couple of weeks back. Straight arm lock, shoulder arm lock, back hammer lock, bar choke and T choke. Worked on the more finer details about foot position to prevent escape, the reasons for the strikes beforehand and highlighted some of the escapes. Overall a painful session!

PM Class

Worked escape reverse head lock, incorporated back hammer lock as it starts from a similar position to ju jitsu. However, prefer the use of the hacking elbows from chum kiu.
Once through SNT and CK
Lat sao, working on the jum sao defence against under the bridge punch thrown in lat sao. Worked both left and right punchfrom right lead, then left lead.
Worked pak sao and slant thrust kick against punch.
then number one strike and defence from escrima.

Neo
08-24-2005, 03:59 AM
Front Squat
5 reps 128lb

Single leg squat-backleg on bench
88lb
10, 12, 11,10

good mornings
2 sets 10 reps 64lb

single leg standing ham curl
2 sets 10 reps 40lb

plate pinching 3 sets of 90secs each hand 22lb

Neo
08-24-2005, 04:02 AM
BB bench Press
95lb 60sec RI
24, 20, 12

Skull Crushers
40lb x10
50lb 8, 10, 10

Pull Ups
9, 8, 7, 7 (haven't done any for ages and it shows)

DB lateral raises
20lb 3x15

DB Hammer Curls
30lb 10, 10, 8

Neo
08-25-2005, 01:56 AM
Forgot to tab on my evening session
reverse headlock, looking at the use of the back hammerlock. Too fancy for my liking, prefer use of elbows to finish.

Plenty of chi sao, working on simple attacks, getting guys to make sure defensive responses were adequate and not excessive, e.g. not excessively turning

Worked on 1 section chi sao, getting their forward energy on the go, working on the bong sao response to the pak sao and punch counter.

Lat aso, emphasis on pure punching, changing rythmn and attacking through with lunging punches. Working on program two, adding on a knee strike from attacker as you counter, just trying to add an element.

Finish with some footwork drills.

Neo
08-25-2005, 02:16 AM
No chance for any training in the morning.

Evening Class

Sprints with pad work.
Working kau bo and lin wan kuen. Opponent throws a single straight punch, whether its off front or rear, to the left or right, with the left or right. Then worked on hook defence, inside and outside gate. Then mixed it back into the random attacks from kau bo. Changed pace and instruction, worked on defence against throat slam against wall and punch. Then back into working lat sao, one leading, one following for thirty secs, changing over.

Neo
08-25-2005, 02:43 AM
AM
Worked dummy form 4 times

Snatch 74lbs
15 x 1rep 60sec RI

Clean & Jerk
108lb
15 x 1rep 60 sec RI

PM Judo

Worked ground randori, escape from hold down, then partner' turn. Few rounds of that. My scarf hold is working well now, especially from getting a few pointers from the Mike Swain videos. Need to work on the escapes more though, start reviewing them one at a time.

Some back to back games, then randori with opponent in turtle. Then adding strangles and arm locks into it.
Plenty of uchi komi working around the group, getting with as many different partners as possible.

Also some new techniques, including morote seoinage (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/moroteseoinage.htm) ,sumi gaeshi (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/sumigaeshi.htm), ko uchi gari (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/kouchigari.htm)

Also some good throws from breaking the standard grip to gain the over the back grip. Finished with three rounds of randori, got a great sacrifice throw on the short stocky guy I kind of nickname pitbull or tank, as he's got a lot of strength, but his size and posture were well set up for it. He's good with his front strangles though, his favourite is going for a front collar strangle, and his ham fists don't help, they just dig in. Gonna have to watch those. Got a good scarf hold on one of the others. Press ups and situps to finish. Well pleased with my efforts tonight, especially as everyone except tank is quite taller than me, and tank's far stronger than me.

Neo
08-26-2005, 02:40 PM
AM

Cancelled workout with jiu jitsu instructor, too much to do at home. Just did my bagwork instead. 7 3 minute rounds using good ol' Bas Rutten tape, added yap gueks, bong gueks, elbows, sprawls onto to each combination shouted to make it harder. Worked on stretching during the 1 minute rests. Then did five rounds of 280m sprints on the treadmill (takes 80m to get up to full speed!) with just 30sec rest.

PM Class
Worked on plenty of changes from poon sau, then with one person attacking through, or the defender attacking through. Worked on the guys getting more ito the 1st Section chi sau, so many pointers for them to take in to get it sweet. sometimes there were good ones coming through. Finished off with some lat sao punching with one stepping through, mixing up the punches.

Neo
08-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Life...doesn't go as you plan. Didn't get in my weights session today, most organise my life more, and get the workout done first thing in the morning.

Popped over to the running track this evening while my eldest lad was in judo. Did 5 rounds of:
400m run
34 sprint-arm lunge walks (roughly 100feet)
20 reverse press ups on the outside fence
30 pressups
Didn't get to keep track of time, didn't have my watch on.
A somewhat large guy was shuffling around the track. Get chatting to him about the track (its somewhat disused) and find out he's a 3rd dan from another judo club. Pops over once a week to train on the friday night session. He seemed very polite and respectful, sound as a pound, hope to get to train with him on a Friday session.

Resting on Saturday, although I might sneak a few sets of pull ups on the kitchen chin up bar, they annoy me so much.

Neo
08-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Superset pull ups with militaty press 15 minutes total:
pull ups w BW: 5,5,5,5,5,5,4,4,3 43 total
MP 70lb: 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5 50 total

Increase weight of MP next time

Front Squat 90lb superset with leg curls 15 minutes total. 4 sets of 5 reps but had to stop due to kids.

Neo
08-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Leg Swings after warming up, 10 each leg of font side and rear.
Pole Thrusts and working on pole form
Turkish get ups 30lb dumbell, 3x2min, 30 sec rest
Farmers Walk 50lb each arm, approximately 3x1min duration, 1 minute rest.
Heavy Bag flips with chain punches to bag as it lands. 3x2minute rounds, 1 minute rest.
Static Stretching.

Neo
08-30-2005, 08:33 AM
bench press 168lb 1min RI
15sets of 1rep

Clean, pause, front squat 128lb 30sec RI
15sets of 1rep
once through pole, dummy, BiuTze, Chum Kiu, Siu Nim Tau

Neo
09-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Been training, found that if I put them on my PDA during rest intervals I might keep them up to date. PDA won't sync and then PC lost the card reader. The joys of technology.
Judo pm
Warmup jogging.
Pairs race 4 lengths piggy-back your partner, swap.
race 4 lengths piggy-back your partner using ippon seoi nage, swap.
race 4 lengths piggy-back your partner using o-goshi, swap.
Turnover to kuzure kami shiho gatame broken upper four quarters hold, or juji gatame cross armlock, or okuri eri jime sliding collar strangle. Adding a throw, partner goes to hands and knees and then applying the 3 techniques.
Plenty of uchi komi with 3 other partners, throwing on the 5th throw. Randori, fairly easy going.
Finished with everyone sprinting 10 lengths of the hall.

Neo
09-11-2005, 02:14 PM
AM
Front squat
138lb 5 reps from clean

Single Leg Squats back leg elevated
93lb
4 sets of 10 each leg
quads tired from last night

Standing leg curls
4x10 40lb
Think I'll increase this.
Standing barbell twist 50 x 44lb (one end fixed, hold other end with weight)

PM
Chi Sao - poon sao with changes.
Cheung to back fist, work on jum sao to lifting punch.
Chi sao 'sparring' using 'simple' attacks only.
Gaun dar defence against tok sao and low punch. Finish with chain punches elbow or under arm strangle.
SNT & CK

Neo
09-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Bench Press 95lb 3 sets of max reps 1min RI
25 (shoulder still hurting a bit), 15, 10

Skullcrushers 55lb
3x8 last set quivering.

Pullups
8, 8, 6, 6

Lateral DB raises 20lb 3 sets
13 each arm super-setted with:
DB hammer curls 32 1/2lb 3 sets
8-10

PM
Running track while son at judo.
400m jog warmup and stretching
Then 3 times:
400m run
20 reverse press-ups (horizontal pull-ups)
30 press-ups
40 squats
Then 3 x 100m sprints, jog back.
Stretching to finish.

Neo
09-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Seven 3 minute rounds on bag
1 minute inbetween either:
50lb dumbbell snatch
pressups
Dumbbell cleans
2 x squats
finished with Stretching & mobility

Neo
09-21-2005, 02:56 AM
AM
Lower Body
Front squat 5 reps 138lb (from clean)

Single leg squat back leg elevated 90sec RI 93lb
13x3

Single leg Standing ham curl
50lb much harder.
3 sets of 10 each leg.

PM Judo
Warmup and mobility
Ukemi
Uchi komi practice with ippon seoi nage, ko uchi gari, then attacking with ko uchi gari to seoi otoshi (shoulder drop) Kotani version. Throwing fully on fifth, then every rep.
Standing randori, 3x3 minute rounds.
Groundwork:
From guard, sit up and pull their hand close to your neck as you push their opposite shoulder and 'kick' their knee. Apply armlock to elbow, use knee to help apply pressure.
Ground randori, 3 partners. Made a few silly mistakes.

Neo
09-21-2005, 02:57 AM
Went swimming with kids but no chance to do bag or cardio today.
PM class:
Working no.1 strike with single stick, in air, then against pole, mixing in suppression to work on their stick control. Moving onto roof block, while keeping attackers still focused on their no.1 strike.
Worked on kau bo and lin wan kuen in air then any straight head punch. Emphasis on instinctive explosion of hands forward.

Neo
09-21-2005, 02:57 AM
AM
Bench press 95lb max reps
24, 16, 13
DB tricep extension 20lb seated.
3 sets of 6. Hard.
Pullups bw
4 sets of 8.
Bradford Press 44lb
15, 12, 10
Alternate DB curls 30lb each
10, 8, 8

PM
Running track:
2x400m warmup and stretching (autumn's here-markedly colder)
4x400m sprints with about 3 minutes rest.
4x100m sprints with 90secs to walk back.
Stretching.
Saturday bit of a rest day with just a set of pullups morning, afternoon and evening.

Neo
09-21-2005, 02:58 AM
Class
SNT
Run through couple of applications such as set 8 tut sao freeing arm.
Incorporated into chi sao.
Worked lat sao punching, particularly arm pressing punch, as partner wasn't using structure and punching forwards.
2 3-minute rounds in air, 2 3-minute rounds on bag using Bas CD. 1 minute intervals did skipping, then squats then press-ups with knee-lift to elbow.

Neo
09-21-2005, 03:00 AM
Bench press 163lb 3reps felt hard

DB Incline bench press
44lb each 4x10

DB Bent over row 44lb each 1 x15

Bent over db rear delt flyes. 3x15.
25lb each arm, working both and working form as I find the finishing position awkward.

Class
Warm up, mobility and breakfalls
Punching, footwork drills
SNT
CK
Lat sao working on that arm pressing punch.

Then working on pak back fist/inside pak and backfist attack in lat sao, working on the kwan dar response.

Finished with fitness drills, sprints, lunges, duck walks, etc.
Stretching

21 Sept AM - wife has cold, my tonsils and throat felt a bit rough so decided to dose up with paracetamol, decquacaine, double choc muffin and a coffee and hope that I feel fine for judo tonight.

Neo
09-22-2005, 04:41 AM
Kept cold at bay, and headed off to judo wondering whether I was doing the right thing...

jogging around the mat warm up
Breakfalls
With partner, uchi komi 3 sets of five each, throwing on the fifth one:
o-goshi, tai otoshi, koshi guruma, harai goshi (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/haraigoshi.htm) (found this to be lethal!, just takes your legs away and then working on seoi otoshi (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/seoiotoshi.htm) shoulder drop, but dropping to both knees beneath the opponent's legs. Wqe then worked on a drag counter to this into a koshi jime (http://judoinfo.com/images/shime/koshi_jime.gif) hip strangle. Actually managed to beat someone's counter and still get the seoi otoshi on.

Did plenty of turnovers and pull throughs, then onto randori with the three other guys, each of us having to do two rounds of one minute staying out, as well as partnering the person who is staying out. Sholder injury came to the fore as I got slammed twice on it, the second one really hurting. Also finding that maybe I'm getting caught more by the the others, especially as some are now going twice a week to the advanced/senior class, where there is more fitness stuck in between throws. Hate losing but can't give up a night of wing chun and can't do another session. Life sucks when yo can't have it all your own way! Anyway, finished with ten sprints of the hall, quick breather then 6 sprints. May not be the strongest, but more endurance and speed then the others.

Neo
09-22-2005, 05:11 AM
Barbell front squat from clean 138lb 5 reps. Thought shoulder would play up but okay. Might up this next week.
Front squat rear leg elevated.
Upped to 98lb
3x15
Super-setted with:
Single leg Standing ham curl
50lb 3 sets of 10 each leg.

Neo
09-29-2005, 05:18 AM
AM
Bench press 95lb max reps
27, 14, 15 bit weird.
Standing Rope pushdowns 90lb.
4 sets of 10. Seems like a lot of muscles supporting this movement. Supersetted with:
Pullups bw
10, 9, 9, 7
These felt much better this time, especially the first set.
Bradford Press 44lb
15, 15, 15 concentrated on isolating the delts and minimising tricep involvement. Supersetted with:
Alternate DB Zottmann curls 30lb each
10, 10, 10 hard.

Thinking about trying the 5x5 routine noted on Mahler's article that came through on the dragondoor newsletter. It highlights strength and size gains without over training. Finding that my strength in randori is sapped.
PM
Running track:
2x400m warmup and stretching.
100m sprint and the walk back.
within 90secs. 10 reps.
Stretching. Must stretch more.
Saturday will be spent watching eldest lad attend his 3rd mini mon and hoping he will get silver or gold this time, as he is always the underdog in his group.

Neo
09-29-2005, 05:21 AM
V-ups 3 sets of 12
Wrist rolls 3 sets of 8
Shin box rolling around mat

Shoulder
Lateral raise - isolateral 20lb dumbbell
4x10
Front raise - dumbbell 20lb
4x10
High Pull dumbbell 74lb 4x5
Hang snatch dumbbell 4x5 54lb
abdominals
Roll-ups abdominal 4x20
Treadmill 15 mins
Full stretch

Callum won gold in his mini mon! Very proud! Not bad for a 7 year old with dyspraxia! Scored with a wazari throw in the first round, and then a single koka throw in the next bout.

Neo
09-29-2005, 05:23 AM
Warmup:
3 rounds of:
Reverse hypers on physio ball 10
Good mornings 10
Skipping 1 minute.

Chest Legs Back
Step-ups 54lb barbell 4x8 per leg
Squats with 44lb plate swing 3x15
Squats barbell 118lb 5x5
Bench press 5x5 148lb failed on last rep of last set! One before was one of those killer reps.
Dumbbell row knee on bench 74lb 5x5

Later, 10 2 minute rounds on bag, with 1minute intervals filled with things such as dive-bombers, breathe-ups,
Ab wheel 3 sets of 14
Stand-ups 3 sets of 10
Playing with bodyflow stuff.

Neo
09-29-2005, 05:31 AM
Warmup
Step-ups bodyweight 3x30secs
Hand grabs 3x30secs
Shoulders
Front raise - barbell 40lb
4x10
simultaneous Lateral raise - 20lb dumbbell 4x8 harder done together.
Push press barbell 108lb
2x8 & 2x6
Skipped shoulder shrugs and upright rows. Might add onto tomorrow as I don't have kids around.
Abdominals
V situps 3x15 supersetted with
Rollups 3x25
Stretching.
Skipped cardio as I felt tired. Will do more tomorrow to make up for it.

Class
Warm up and breakfalls. Couple of beginners so they worked on footwork, lat sao punching, interception and then headlock escape.

others worked on chi sao, drilling simple attacks and then working on 1st part of 1st section chi sao. Then did lap sao pull against punch thrown from defensive ground fighting position. Worked on the roll back to a rear naked strangle.

Finished with some conditioning exercises and sprints to kill them off. One of the new guys was a wannabe, done some JKD and other stuff and was keen to let everyone know it. Somewhat annoying but kept him busy so that his brain wasn't occupied with talking all the time.

Neo
10-04-2005, 03:07 AM
Warmup
3 rounds of:
Static wall sit 30 seconds with 22lb
Skipping 60 seconds
Plyometrics & Power
Ski Jumps 3x30 seconds
Lateral Shuffles 3x30 seconds
Figure 8s Push-ups 3x30 seconds
Box Jumps 3x8
Medicine ball walk 3x20 yards
Knee-ups with ankle weights 20 each leg.
Core:
3 rounds of:
Physio ball crunches 25 reps
44lb Good Mornings
Cardio:
Sprints: 12 sprints 100 yards 60 seconds to sprint and jog back to start.

PM Judo
Warmup and ukemi
Team Sprints with exercises
Easy session with no randori this week.
Plenty of uchi komi, then into groups of four. Perform 5 throws, any type, against each of the other three.
Realised that my shoulder is being aggravated by partners always throwing right handed.

Neo
10-04-2005, 03:09 AM
AM - Rest

PM Class
Had one beginner tonight so rotated him with the other guys, working on 1st program lat sao.

Others worked on 1st section chi sao and looking at lap sao. Then finished with program 3 lat sao, working on double pak sao and finishing with SNT.

Neo
10-04-2005, 03:10 AM
Warmup
3 sets of:
Reverse hypers 15 reps
Good mornings 15 reps

Legs/Chest/Back
Lunges dumbbell 4x20 reps each
Push-ups Plyometric 4x10
Towel Pullups 4x8
Bench Press 5x5 148lb
Incline Press - 3x8 88lb
Pullovers - dumbbell 40lb 3x8

Was all ready to go running while son was at judo but the heavens opened with an almighty downpour. Didn't fancy being a drowned rat. Might sneak an extra session on Sunday while wife is at work.

Neo
10-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Warm-up
Wrist rolls 3x8
Step ups body weight 3x30 secs

Shoulders
Front Raise - Isolateral 4x8 25lb
Lateral Raise - dumbbell 4x8 20lb
Hang Snatch - dumbbell 4x5 59lb
High Pull - dumbbell 84lb 4x5 10lb more than last time, hard but manageable.
Military Press - narrow grip curl bar 4x8 74lb.

Cardio
6 100m sprints and walk back
5 minutes jogging.

PM Class
Beginner came back, so focussed on basics this evening. Worked on kau bo and advancing step, drilling in air, then on pads, then against partner just stepping in with guard, then against diagonal punch. Beginner picked it up well. Then we recapped on lat sao from last Tuesday with him, working his yap guek and bong guek defences. Blitzed a couple of conditioning exercises then taster of single chi sao, finishing with SNT, others doing it on single leg twice.

Neo
10-15-2005, 07:46 AM
4 October 2005
Annoyed that I couldn't do any exercise this morning. Too many things to sort out.

Class was pretty standard, must keep blog up to date better... sorry guys...

Neo
10-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Warmup
Power lunges with ankle weights 3x16 each leg.
Legs/chest/back
Squats with plate hang snatch3x15 10kg
Bench press 151lb 5x5
Single arm row 46lb 2x8
Pullups with ankle weights 3x8
Barbell thrusters 88lb 3x10

Skipped cardio, not enough time this morning.

Judo pm

Neighbour called Nick (a southerner like me in the alien northwest!)asked me if I did judo, I said come along so he did. He is 37, and hasn’t done any exercise since he was in his late teens and now worried about his BMI. Warned him it was going to hurt!

After warm-up and ukemi, plenty of team sprints with exercises, piggy back relays (he was amazed at the 50 year old woman carrying all us lads down the hall!) Also a ukemi race. Had drunk a triple strength coffee beforehand, was slightly buzzing! Worked on a hanging strangle and then sangaku jime, by which time Nick was feeling dizzy! Soon got his head back, joined in for some uchi komi, then as we started doing some ground randori he felt sick again! Sparred with the young green belt and got a good thigh push to get out from the guard and clamber to rear mount. Then randori, two volunteers in the two separate squares, everyone taking turns to continually fight them for 30 seconds. Apparently he was riddled with the DOMS two days later!
30 seconds press ups and 30 seconds sit ups.

Neo
10-15-2005, 08:15 AM
Don't remember what I put down for this, think I missed out on training due to some jobs to be done before going away for the weekend. Class at my place was a distant blur. Must write my post class notes!

Neo
10-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Warmup
3 rounds:
Reverse hypers 15 reps
Wrist curls 10 reps

Legs & Shoulders
Straight leg dead lifts 4x10 128lb
Squats dumbbell 2x10, 2x8 64lb each supersetted with:
Shoulder shrugs dumbbell 64lb 4x10
Lateral raise seated physio ball 4x8 20lb each
Push press - dumbbell 2x8, 2x6
Hang clean - dumbbell 4x5 44lb each
Upright row - barbell 4x5

Did a little bit of cardio and stomach work at the end, but as I was away for the weekend, there was no time to do any at the track that evening.

Neo
10-15-2005, 08:19 AM
Fight gone bad
3 rounds 1 minute each
1. Wall-ball - 20 pound ball, 8 ft target. (Reps) used 44lb tricep bar
2. Deadlift high-pull 75 pounds (Reps)
3. Box Jump - 20" box (Reps) - higher than that.
4. Push-press 75 pounds (Reps)
5. Row - calories (Calories, but my calorie counter seems wierd, and sure it should be more!)
6. Rest 1 minute
Scores:
25/21/17
15/14/12
19/19/16
16/11/13
3/3.5/3.5
Total: 208
20 stand-ups
40 twisting get-ups
Stretching - suffering right groin strain at mo, but been working on side splits and hamstrings feel better.

Class was a couple of us, working on lat sao mainly.

Neo
10-15-2005, 08:31 AM
Didn't really get a chance to do much training in the morning.

Class
Started with some pad work drills, then did 1:30 round of free padwork, with partner calling out sprawl every 15 seconds.
Blitzed through quite a lot. Worked on charlie horse defence from program one, low punch defence from program two, passing step from program four, with drills in air then with partner in lat sao. Then worked on mount escape, discussing difference between self defence solutions and grappling art solutions. Finished with CK and stretching.

Neo
10-15-2005, 08:34 AM
Warm-up2 rounds:
Reverse hypers 10reps
good mornings 10reps
Skipping 60secs

Strength Chest Legs Back
Straight leg dead lifts dumbbells 64lb each 3x10
Squats dumbbells 64lb 4x10
Box jumps - one leg 3x10
Bench press - isolateral 5x5 54lb each
Pullovers dumbbell 44lb 4x8
Incline press - isolateral 44lb each 4x8
Pull-ups 3x8

Abdominals
Crunches 2x20
Cardio
Steady run 8 minutes
Stretching.

PM Judo
Good session. Nick came along again and purchased a gi. Warm-up and breakfalls. Plenty of uchi komi, partner placing hands on shoulders and you taking up a double lapel grip. Worked on holding opponent's head down, spinning them around twice, then using a throw as they get up. Worked on passing the guard, in hindsight, noticed though we weren't taught to 'stack' the opponent. Also used the knee to control the leg and pass over, rather than under the leg. Worked it with resistance. Then trying to apply strangle against resisting on all fours, then with advantage of under neck grip on far collar, then trying to turn opponent over. Finish with tachi waza randori. Caught one with a double leg takedown (morote gari) (http://www.kodokan.org/e_waza/morotegari.html) and nearly scored with a kneeling kata garuma (shoulder wheel). (http://judoinfo.com/kataguru.htm)

Neo
10-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Warm-up
Hand grabs 40secs x 2
Step ups 25secs x 2

Shoulders
Front raise Isolateral 4x10 25lb
Lateral raise Isolateral 4x10 25lb
Military press Isolateral 2x8, 2x6 44lb
High pull dumbbell 64lb 4x6

Abdominals
V Ups 4x15

Class PM
Had a new guy come along, not sure if he’s converted, had Shotokan karate and Muay Thai experience. Worked with him through some punching, lat sao basic punching, close range Charlie horse and round kick defence from program 1, counter against headlock and finished with SNT. Other guys worked on lat sao and single dan chi.

Neo
10-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Warm-up
3 rounds:
static wall sit 30 secs
Skipping 1 min

Plyometrics
Medicine ball walk on hands 3x 20 yards
Lateral jumps 4 x 20 secs
Power lunges 4 x 20 yards
Box Jumps one leg 3x10 each leg
Falling press ups from upright kneeling position 3 x 30 secs
Ski Jumps 4 x 20 secs

Abdominals
4 x 1 minute pike position
4 x 8 stand ups

PM
800m jog

10 100m sprints with jog back

Neo
10-16-2005, 04:30 AM
Rested Saturday, took kids and dog for long walk up Thursaston Hill. (http://www.totaltravel.co.uk/travel/north-west-england/cheshire/the-wirral/photos/thurstaston)

Today:
Five 3 minute rounds on bag no gloves.
Squats during 1 minute breaks.
5 rounds:
30 secs burpees
30 secs double round kicks
1 minute rest
Stretching.