PDA

View Full Version : For Steelwire mantis students and friends.

Andrew
06-28-2005, 09:58 AM
To celebrate Sifu Leung's acceptance into ShanDong University. We the 32nd generation of Shaolin layman disciples thought it would be great idea too organise a little party. We'd also thought it would be a great too extend an invite to all of Sifu Leung'students; old and new. Its been 5 years since Sifu Leung shut his school in Islington alot has happened in those years. His marital journey has made him an indoor disciple in Chen's TaiJi and a Layman disciple at Shaolin Temple. This new knowledge has result in a radical reinterpretation of SPM;

The significance of the Chow Gar, how these poems hold the styles keys/secrets, the meaning behind the name 'Chow Gar', Chow Gar as a 'true' internal system.

They'll be a demonstration by the Shaolin layman disciples, demonstrating these re-discovered skills.

So even if you've given up training,training elsewhere or only have a minor connection with TCMA it would be great to see you. This is a great time to renew old friendships, start new friendships , open up new avenues of discovery in the journey that is CMA and Chinese martial culture.

The celebration will be on the 19th of july at the New World resturant the details are as follows:

New World
1 Gerrard Place,
London,
W1D 5PA

19th July
Start time: 7:30

If you're coming for the meal, then contact me for the exact prices. If you're just coming too say hi. Thats good as well.

If you want more details please send an email to the following email address:
aamc_99@yahoo.co.uk

Hope to see you all there:

Shi Xing Bao.

YuanZhideDiZhen
07-12-2005, 09:28 AM
i have a question about "steelwire mantis":

is it a derivative style and what styles went into it's formation? is there any link to the hung gar steel wire/iron thread set?

CHAZ
07-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I beleve Steelwire Mantis is a combination of Chow Gar Southern Mantis and Hung Gar. I know that students were taught forms from both systems.

YuanZhideDiZhen
07-15-2005, 12:26 AM
I beleve Steelwire Mantis is a combination of Chow Gar Southern Mantis and Hung Gar. I know that students were taught forms from both systems.

almost sounds like a mantid stylised clf-gar. do you have a forms list or a core list of sets? perhaps thier ten core sets?

CHAZ
07-15-2005, 02:05 PM
I have never trained in the Steel Wire Mantis system, but 10 years ago I came close to enroling in a 3 year residential course run by Sifu Leung YanLon.

What follows is the history and background of the Kung Fu (Steel Wire Mantis) part of the first year of that course.

HISTORY AND BACKGROUND

Apart from learning the subjects of Chinese Acupuncture, Arts of Strategy and the Philosophy,History and Theory of the Chinese Martial Arts. Students will undergo four hours of physical training every weekday evening. There are three levels of syllabus: Grey, Brown and Black sash.
The juniior Grey sash will begin training with basic stance and stepwork, lower and middle level kicking techniques. These elementary disciplines are designed to improve the apprentices' balance and mobility. Various 'grinding legs' (CuoJiao) muscle building exercises will be taught. In such a manner, students will cultivate adequate leg power to 'fuel' their lower level techniques.
'Grinding arm' methods (CuoShou) will also be introduced to allow the muscle groups of the upper part of the body to be developed. At this early stage, a simple yet practical form of 'swinging' punches will be taught to equip junior students with some rudimentary self-defence techniques. This arm work will ensure pupils acquire adequate 'long-range' power.
In order to balance the training, special press-up exercises (PanGoLin) and joint stretchind exercises (DiaoShou) will be used to prepare the students for the development of 'short-range' power. Once the basic physical work is completed, the first HonJia (SteelWire) form, the LiuJiaQuan, will be taught. The cross-pattern of this particular set illustrates that the trainer has to move in four different directions, ie north,south, east and west. The layout of the form clearly indicates that the practioner is fighting four opponents instead of just one. The set also covers some 15 styles of stance and stepwork,six basic kicks and 35 hand techniques.
Next, the first form of TangLangQuan (Southern Mantis system) SanBuJian, the 3-steps and arrow-punches, will be taught. This unique set covers both internal and external aspects of Kung Fu. At this junior level the form is designed to build muscular power, and includes four styles of stance and stepwork and 18 hand techniques. While the body is slowly building up to the power requirements of the system, the second HonJia form, LoHanQuan, the Guardian Monks's Hand will be introduced. This form illustrates the use of the long-range hand techniques,ensures superior balance and mobility and conceals 11 kicking techniques, 12 styles of stance and stepwork and 72 hand techniques within its movements.
When students have achieved good stability and, manoeuvrabilityand cultivated some external muscular striking power, the second form of TangLangQuan, SanBu Yao Qiao, the third form SanBuPeiQiao and fourth SanKungBiQiao, which include the basic multiple attack patterns of the Mantis fashion,will be introduced at this stage. Lastly, the GongZiFuHu, I-Character Tiger form of the HonJia Quan will be taught to strengthen internal and finger power of the candidates before they progress onto Brown sash level in the second year.

(All infomation above comes from the first year course prospectus)