PDA

View Full Version : 18 Elders

Oso
06-28-2005, 11:30 AM
*edit* not you steve o.

just tried searching for old posts on this form.

finally started it after finally finishing all the ling side of bung bu

yea me!

anyway...was just looking for history/information on this set:

when was it added?

by who?

which families have it?

is it supposed to follow the 18 line poem somehow?

what are the different romanizations of it?

TIA

Oso
06-29-2005, 12:32 PM
what? 72 views and no one got nothing?

-N-
06-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Oso,

WHF line has this form. Cantonese romanization is Sup Baht Sou. Translation can be 18 Elders, 18 Ancestors, 18 Old Men. My teacher usually taught this as the first mantis set... after Gung Lik Kuen and 14 Roads. We have single and partner versions of this form.

N.

Oso
06-30-2005, 06:47 AM
-N-

thanks.

Yu Shan has been telling me he's thought is was easier to learn than Bung Bu and while I'm only working on the first road right now I feel that the first road is indeed a bit simpler in concept then Bung Bu's first road.

yu shan
06-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Oso- Seeing we are sort of in the middle of putting PL`s curriculum on paper... another question for Shifu. Just where does this form go in "our" progression? I have spoke with and seen alot of our fellow mantis boxers about this form. It almost always seems to be taught after bengbu. To me, shi ba shou is a very easy form and should be taught before bengbu. JMO! Although... shi ba shou does have a nice two-man set to it. Oh God, here comes Shirkers1 ;)

Oso
06-30-2005, 08:37 AM
I think Mike is saying after Bung Bu...where it is now. But, I'd have to check my notes.

btw, I keep having to use slow mo on the VCR as I review...next time remind me to get you to slow down, ya speedy little baztard. :D ;)

yu shan
06-30-2005, 10:44 AM
... speed kills :cool:

Oso
06-30-2005, 11:03 AM
especially when you run into a brick wall.... :cool: :p ;)

shirkers1
06-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Yushan...

Actually Sub Baad Sou was the first form I ever learned back in the day after the 14 roads. But we all know that I'm an exception to the rule being that I'm a little off any ways.. :D Bung bo was like my 4 th or 5 th form... I like 18 elders because it works both sides, and me being tall it uses a lot of leg traps and reaching tactics that a tall guy like me can utilize..

Oso
06-30-2005, 12:48 PM
is hard.

If I learn something on the right/dominant side I always have a problem learning it on the other side.

but, I can learn something FIRST on the left side and be fine.

so, i look forward to this set challenging me on that front.

-N-
06-30-2005, 12:55 PM
-N-

thanks.

Yu Shan has been telling me he's thought is was easier to learn than Bung Bu and while I'm only working on the first road right now I feel that the first road is indeed a bit simpler in concept then Bung Bu's first road.

Oso, Yu Shan,

My teacher thought that Sup Baht Sou was simpler as well. Most of the time the progression was Sup Baht Sou, Daw Gong, Bung Bo, Chop Chui. Occasionally he would teach Bung Bo first if the student seemed to show exceptional potential.

Sometimes when teaching Bung Bo, he would say, "See? Can you imagine if you have to learn this set first??!"

N.

18elders
06-30-2005, 09:45 PM
i learned 18 elders before bung bu .

Oso
07-01-2005, 11:15 AM
18elders, was that choice on your part (assuming you have a fondness for the set due to your choice of alias) or Shifu's choice?

yu shan
07-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Oso- 18`s in the air heading my way, I`ll have him post his response from here. Beers first my man, beers first! :D

Neophyte
07-04-2005, 08:34 AM
I learnt 18 elders after Bung Bo, Kune Nek Kune, Dore Gon, Hak Fu Gar. I agree 18 is far easier to learn them Bung Bo but it fits nicely in to the curriculm.

I believe it was designed as a beginners form to start to teach the student how to use the opposite hand.

Cheers

Neophyte
07-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Here we go, this is the article I read about 18 elders. Its also got lots of other info on more of the beginners forms. See what you think.

http://www.hokiu.com/article_introduction_of_the_boxing_series1.html

Cheers