PDA

View Full Version : traditional or modern approach?

SevenStar
07-01-2005, 06:44 PM
This is not a thread about TMA vs MMA, but I bet it made you look ;)

For the guys that have trained jkd, do you prefer a more traditional approach, like that of the innosanto camp - trapping base, kali, some boxing, mt and savatte, etc. or do you prefer the more modern sbg style approach that has a thai boxing base and uses the thai clinch and other clinch methods in lieu of trapping, paired with takedowns and bjj? Why or why not?

yenhoi
07-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Dont forget the classical (Jun Fan Gung Fu) side of the scale.

It doesnt matter which camp you pick, its really all the same stuff. Its about methodology. People need to learn how to fight in all ranges, and with weapons too. We think (for example) that in order for any person to really learn about kicking, and how to kick, then they should have many specific expierences concerning several training methods involving kicking and how to kick. This means different types of drills with and without partners who are resisting or not resisting at various intensity levels. Once a person has gained a basic fundamental expierence level, they they will choose whats best for themselves to train (spend valuable time on) based on their personal goals and their accumulated expierences.

This is why we think its good and then better to expierence training methods from "arts" or "styles" that maybe come from entirely different parts of world, different familys withen the same systems, etc. Perspective and variation are valuable. Its not about cirriculum. Specific training regarding kicking hard, kicking fast, kicking against someone also trying to kick you, etc, etc, etc, rather then 3 kicks from here, 4 kicks form there, and 2 from over here.

Ya dig?

:eek:

yenhoi
07-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Clinching is trapping.... btw..

;)

SevenStar
07-08-2005, 11:17 AM
yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. the clinching was used in place of trapping. I personally prefer it that way.

ReignOfTerror
07-15-2005, 03:33 AM
or do you prefer the more modern sbg style approach that has a thai boxing base and uses the thai clinch and other clinch methods in lieu of trapping, paired with takedowns and bjj

how is that any different than mma? or should I say mma capitalizing on bruce Lee's name by calling it jkd.