PDA

View Full Version : the art of playground bravado

ReignOfTerror
07-03-2005, 01:21 AM
I was reading a recent black belt magazine and it had an itneresting article on people who get into alot of fights. There are also different categories of fighters. One category includes a guy who is generally several times stronger and often bigger than the average man and has mastered the art of body posturing, mentally setting somebody up, using their words/body language/physique/and other attributes to intimidate their victim before the fight occurs and thus ensuring a one hit knockout, also hitting at the exact right time. They also are never punked by the occasional great fighter cause they can set a fight up or leave from one in such a manner that they dont lose face or look weak because of their skill as alpha or dominant males. Whats funny is the bar is these guys's battle field. That article reminded me of Tank alot. Anyone have these qualities or attributes where you can just intimidate and bully people and put fear into them without even fighting and than having them so scared and off posture you can ko them with one hit?

ReignOfTerror
07-03-2005, 01:27 AM
by the way here is a recent story of mine although I was provoked first and didnt cause unnecessary violence:
http://www.shenwu.com/discus/messages/27/2139.html%3f1114699017

ReignOfTerror
07-03-2005, 01:37 AM
I actually had a few similar incidents occur with teenage kids but ones that were more agressive:

A year or so ago some kid kept staring at me everytime I walked passed him and one time he was standing near me while I was waiting for a bus at the bench and he was with his friend. He was talkign on the phone to someone and said some number and I thought he was talking about me and the number correlated with the bench I was sitting so I was thinking he called some people to drive by and throw something at me or something. So what I did was get up and walk straight toward him to see how he would react. He smiled in a real sarcastic way and said hi and I put my bag down and punched him straight in the face in the middle of town with some people looking. I quickly grabbed my bag and ran so the cops wouldnt egt there and I woudlnt egt caught, Think is they followed me and were calling the cops or at least threatening to.

Another incident about 6 or so months ago occured in the same town (I lived at at that time and this is Southern claifonria near L.A where people are violent, competitive, and agressive):

I was walking by this stool near a shop where some teenage kid threw something that almost hit me (looked like a seed or a bottle cap). At first I didnt think nothing of it as they didn't laugh but as I kept walking I thought they did it and when later I turned around they were all looking at me (there was like 7-8 teenage kids there). Now they were smaller (I'm 20) and I could crush them but it was in middle of town near some stores and alot of people so I kept walking. After I got home I later decided to confront them about this and I came back and they werent there so i kept walking and saw 3 of them in an alley. I walked up to them at first they seemed to ignore me so i thought I'm being stupid and they didn't really do it but I wanted to talk to them about it. When I walked to them one of them was trying to walk by me so I asked him why they threw something at me. Another one of them said that it was him and he flicked something at him, So I asked him why. He said that he is flickery fingers or something so instead of asking him to apologise I somehow took that as he accidentally did it and told him "Oh I thought you guys were trying to start **** or something." One of them I think the same one said "No we weren't". So I walked off, but when I was leaving I heard them yelling something at me like "I'm scared" and I said "What!" and they talked some more ****. I was kind of far but decided to turn around and this time slap one of them or put them in a choke or a wristlock or something. They were on scateboards and I didn't feel like chasing after them so I kept walking and they kept riding away from me. They would stop and I thought they got alot of balls so I can confront them again where they stopped but after I started getting closer they would ride off again and eventually I lost them.

Than the next day I just went to town andrecognized one of them sitting in a group in front of starbucks. They were wearing hats and it was hard to recogize them plus they had like 4 friends there as well. I was gonna walk by them but than at the last instant I turned around and said "hey were you the guys that were talking **** the other day" and one of them said "who where" and I pointed where it was and said they were being disrespectful to people, one of them said "oh it was James he accidentally flicked a bottle cap that landed near you" and I said alright, and one gave me a high five and a fist to fist type thing and another said "one for me as well" and I gave him one and walked by. I saw alot of people looking at me during this scene so i felt weird making one of the standup by the neck andshaking him by the shirt or neck. when I was leaving and walked off awhile they screamed something like "wooooo", nothing challenging enough for me to turn around and comfront them again.

A few days after that I saw those same kids in an even larger group. As I was walking by one of them said to another "remember that and something I didn't hear but maybe they were tlaking about me I thought." anyway I kept walking and I said to myself unless they throw something again or say something that clearly insults me personally I wont put my hands on them or egt in their face again, as I already did that twice in 2 days (not putting my hands part just the confrontation part). As I was walking back one of the kids kept staring at me and I stared at him for a few secs waiting to see if he had something to say and he didn't so I looked ahead but realized he was still staring so I starred back and waited again tos ee if he got anything to say and he didn't so I just walked passed, and another one of those kids was sitting alone at a bench talking on the cell phone away form the rest said whats up to me.

Here is an incident that happen back in high school (when I was a junior) about 3 years ago:

I used to have battles with myself everytime I went to sleep in Junior high school because a jock surrounded by his peers would poke me with a ruller, talk **** about me right in front of me to his friends, puff up his chest in front of me. Eventually what happened was I went to the bathroom and he went in after I was leaving (don't know if it was intentional if he didnt know I was there) and I finally had him alone with no one to watch. So I grabbed him by the neck and started kneeing him, I than threw an elbow that Is topped right in front of his face (just to prove a point since I didnt feel I needed to hurt him). And at that time my only experience with muay thai was from watching bloodsport and kickboxer. When he came back he denied everything and made me sound like I was *****ed and continued talking trash about me to hsi jock friends.

Here is an incident that happened in my muay thai gym where some 17 yr old punk tried to get tough with me:

He was pretty new and I was holding pads for him and he started started aiming at my face, and at first I thought he was joking so I disregarded it, but he was talking some smack and I said "what" and he would just mimmick me and say in a sarcastic way "whaaat?" "whaat?". So after class I had the courage to walk up to him and tell him "hitting people in the face or aiming people in the face while holding pads isn't cool". And he was like "I didn't aim for your face or I didn't do that." And I just said while shaking my head "that's messed up man, that's messed up." needless to say he didn't show up after that.

Im glad I dont live in the L.A area anymore as there are either thugs there (who even started **** with my mom once while I wa sin the passanger seat and started calling her names in road range causing me to eventually snap and yell back) Or hippes.

ReignOfTerror
07-03-2005, 01:54 AM
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=269685
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24810
http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=ListMessages&PID=1&TID=594767&FID=1&pc=25

Martial artists will never change.

and ofcourse there is brazil:
http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=ListMessages&PID=1&TID=619357&FID=1

SimonM
07-03-2005, 04:00 AM
One category includes a guy who is generally several times stronger and often bigger than the average man <snip> ensuring a one hit knockout, also hitting at the exact right time. They also are never punked by the occasional great fighter cause they can set a fight up or leave from one in such a manner that they dont lose face or look weak because of their skill as alpha or dominant males.

I'm sorry but I doubt the person's claims. If they get a lot of one-hit KOs it's because they are several times stronger and bigger than average, not because of the "art of body posturing". I'm sorry but somebody has read just a little bit too much Frank Herbert. As for their "walking away without losing face because of the techniques of the Alpha Male" that is such incredible Bullsh!t I couldn't believe it.