PDA

View Full Version : Tai chi questions...

unclaimed effort
06-01-2001, 04:08 AM
I've been trying to choose a martial art for about 3 years and I've just started on Tai Chi. In Chen style, there are low stances, so it may restrict movement. Do you still have to use your body to collect more power in your techniques like in Yang? :)

If two tigers fight, the result will be one injured tiger.

Stillness in stillness is not real stillness. Stillness in motion is real stillness.

honorisc
06-01-2001, 01:40 PM
It is t'ai ch'i ch'uan. Using the body generates more power for at least all the Taijiquans.

Low stances? makes for better movement. Low stances in practice. Same stances higher for practical. when you have the understandings the low stances become useable for good results (fighting)...perhaps some-such-a possibility~perhaps.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

count
06-01-2001, 03:08 PM
I'm catching up on the forums after being away and I really have to say, somewhere in No_Know's rambling haikus is the answer.

As to the question, you will find, issuing power, keep in mind, lower stances provide a stronger base and lower center.

If it's mobility that you lack, adjust your feet and back and make sure there is no stress at any point.

You'll see speed in your footwork grow, fighting angles will appear and and the pain will disappear from in the knee joint.

The low stances in Chen are designed for Chan Su Jin, so the lower that you can go, the further distance it will flow when you stand up.

I know this poem is bad, the meter is off and rhymes are sad, but reading No_know's haiku I was inspired,

in forming this reply, to be helpful, I did try and I think I covered all the bases.

Ask your teacher about the restriction you are feeling and your silk will soon be reeling and the stances than will all make sense.

Your legs will be much stronger if you practice them much longer, for now that is only my 2 cents.

;)

Sam Wiley
06-01-2001, 03:10 PM
Chen Taiji is a very good martial art. The low stances are there to build your strength and mobility. Doing very low stances makes it easier to do higher, more practical ones, for one thing.

All your movements must originate from your center, and that means using your body to power the movements. Even in low stances, you should be able to generate sufficient power. As for having trouble making the transition between low stances, I would expect it to get easier over time, as you get used to being so low. It does for me anyway.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."
-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

unclaimed effort
06-01-2001, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the help. :)

If two tigers fight, the result will be one injured tiger.

Stillness in stillness is not real stillness. Stillness in motion is real stillness.