PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu MMA List

SifuAbel
07-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Inspired by posters on the quitting kung fu thread, i think it would be a cool idea for people to post examples of schools like shooter that do well in MMA.

Ross is a prime example, lets get a list going.

MasterKiller
07-05-2005, 12:11 PM
I think you just exhausted the list.

fa_jing
07-05-2005, 12:13 PM
No formal school to speak of, but my old teacher Nikita Johnson did well in NHB/cage matches several years ago and has alot to offer to the aspiring trainee here in Chicago. He teaches a form of JKD, including classical Wing Chun, boxing, grappling, Ted Wong JKD, etc.

Still, I'd have to recommend Shidokan based on it's reputation, and I think Shonie Carter is affiliated with it. Not kung fu though.
But they are more likely to be abreast of the latest changes/developments in MMA than my old teacher.

SifuAbel
07-05-2005, 02:30 PM
If you are in Ontario and are looking to fuse MMA with Kung Fu you should look up Master Paul Chau in London, Ontario. He operates out of a Kwoon called Northern Black Dragon Martial Arts. His school has recently won a string of MMA and Jiu Jitsu medals at amateur events. These events are very new in Ontario which had a moratorium on Kick Boxing until recently but his gym is definately one to watch.

He is also my Sifu in Canada. :)

Too bad you're in Canada - Chris Heintzmann has been having success with Tai Chi modified for MMA/NHB, but he's based in NC. Our non-profit branch, The Tiger Claw Foundation (http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org/), is supporting a workshop by him here (SF Bay Area) later this month. Check out the link for more... :cool:

Do I have to do everything myself?

SevenStar
07-05-2005, 07:17 PM
anerlich on the WC forum trains at a WC school that has fielded some guys that did well in local mma tournies.

Mutant
07-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Paul Rosado's Chinese Kickboxing Club trains both traditional and MMA style.

We (BSK) havent put anyone in MMA events yet, concentrate on Sanda/Sanshou, but down the road who knows?

SifuAbel
07-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Maybe we could also expand this to just full contact fighting AND San shou.

Oso
07-06-2005, 11:26 AM
I had a lei tai match scheduled with Chris Heintzman but he had signed a pro contract just before so he couldn't fight an amatuer bout...which was a good thing for me as I'm pretty sure he would have whipped my ass.

I did meet him and saw some of his fighters that day.

I thought he was Hop Gar????

What about Lei Tai as a full contact venue?

SifuAbel
07-06-2005, 01:33 PM
I don't see why not.

The equation always seems to come down to contact, not venue.

fa_jing
07-06-2005, 01:34 PM
anerlich on the WC forum trains at a WC school that has fielded some guys that did well in local mma tournies.

Yep, Rick Spain's group in Australia I believe.

SimonM
07-07-2005, 12:30 AM
I actually started a thread just like it but it wasn't as popular so I just wanted to make sure that Northern Black Dragon in London, Canada got added to the list.