PDA

View Full Version : Combat Conditioning

couch
07-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Has anyone used the exercises from Matt Furrey or others to help with their conditioning?

I'm looking into Matt Furrey's book and adding the exercises to my routine. Does anyone here have any personal experience and can recount some things that worked/didn't work.

I would much appreciate this!

Sincerely,
Kenton Sefcik

David Jamieson
07-07-2005, 06:13 AM
haven't looked at Furey's stuff.

But I do have a lot of conditioning methods which I use for developing toughness and maintaining tioughness of the body.

bear in mind that at least 50% of it all is mental attitude.

Merryprankster
07-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Don't waste your money on Furey products.

Oso
07-07-2005, 06:38 AM
if you haven't been here there are some good workouts listed

www.trainforstrength.com

David Jamieson
07-07-2005, 06:57 AM
I also understand Furey co-opts stuff from other systems and styles he encounters and may not have the full story on some of the things he advocates.

bit of a hodge podge really. take it for what it's worth if you go that route, but I wouldn't put furey in the guru category of fight conditioning or combat conditioning.

Chief Fox
07-07-2005, 07:59 AM
I made the mistake of buying Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning book.
1. It is way over priced for what it is. A bunch of body weight exercises that can be found on the web for free.
2. The condition of the book is poor. I was expecting a quality product. Furey's book is anything but. Blurry black and white photos on cheap paper.
3. The are better workouts out there for actual combat conditioning.

Matt Furey's basic workout is what he calls the royal court. It consists of Hindu Squats, Hindu Pushups and bridges. It does take a lot of determination and strength to get up to the number of reps that he recommends but I believe there are better workouts.

The already mentioned, train for strength website is great. http://www.trainforstrength.com/workouts.shtml

Another great website for great over all strength and conditioning is CROSSFIT. http://www.crossfit.com/

If you really are interested in Matt Furey's stuff, here is a link to an article from a guy who thinks its worth while. http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm

In my opinion, the CROSSFIT workout is the best out there and it's 100% FREE!

Lets give credit where credit is due. Matt Furey is a great marketing guy and has done a great job at marketing himself and his workouts. No doubt the guy has skill as a wrestler but don't be fooled by his "straight talk". Check out the links above and do some searching around on the web and you'll find some great stuff.

Good luck.

yeshe
07-07-2005, 01:49 PM
I personaly have gotten outstandig results from combat conditioning.
Yes, the book is over priced(at a book store,sitting on the shelf I wuold retail it
for 21.95)
I do the royal court almost every morning and got strong as hell,

my back aches stoped and my general flexibility got better.
Then from getting all his emails,I went and ordered the shoulder pain video,
(his videos are of poor productin quality and are soooooooooo boring cause he
talks in ths monotone) I did the eXercises for a couple of weeks and my shoulder
pain went away.It was getting so bad I could not Cup,Pow or Jong,now I do
them on a heavy bag.
Today I am sitting here w/ an injury cause I was doing some
stuff that MF recomended NOT to do.
I dont know where he gets his stuff,
Yes its way over priced
But so far its been working for me

Chief Fox
07-07-2005, 03:57 PM
You've got me curious. Can you elaborate on the shoulder pain stuff some more?

yeshe
07-07-2005, 04:17 PM
The shoulder pain video is a series of exercises that even I would have suggestwd to some one.Basically flapping your arm up and down and back and
forth (balistic streching) then using the rubber strands to do a few shoulder
exersises.
Real commom sense stuff.

IronFist
07-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Do some Hindu Squats, Hindu Pushups, and wrestlers bridges. There, I just saved you the $30 it would cost to buy that book.

SevenStar
07-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Do some Hindu Squats, Hindu Pushups, and wrestlers bridges. There, I just saved you the $30 it would cost to buy that book.

:D

couch
07-09-2005, 08:36 AM
I really appreciate everyone taking the time too give me their ideas.

I'm going to check out the couple of other resources listed and weigh out the options.

Yeshe, is it true that there are only 3 exercises in the book?

Thanks,
Kenton Sefcik

TenTigers
07-09-2005, 08:53 AM
does anyone know what his Farmer Brown(or whatever his name was) abdominal exercises are? He makes them sound like they are the be all end all. I'm betting, since much of his stuff seems to be from yoga, they might be a form of the vaccuum.

johnyk
07-10-2005, 06:28 AM
That got my answers to a big ad in a magazine about Furey products, thanks.
Although what If I don't want to do hindu squats, I been doing regular squats and they worked great. Bridges I have not tried and don't feel like I should, and hindu push ups, most martial artists do under the name of "under the rock"

But he is trying a new way of marketing, even cartoons, so got to give him credit for that lol

johnyk
07-10-2005, 06:30 AM
when You say vacuum,
do you mean when the breath out and suck the stomach in?

_William_
07-10-2005, 10:09 AM
does anyone know what his Farmer Brown(or whatever his name was) abdominal exercises are? He makes them sound like they are the be all end all. I'm betting, since much of his stuff seems to be from yoga, they might be a form of the vaccuum.

I don't find them particularly valuable.
Look here:
http://p210.ezboard.com/fbodyweightboardfrm1.showMessage?topicID=2675.topi c

johnyk
07-12-2005, 04:57 AM
Thanks for that link William.

couch
07-12-2005, 05:33 AM
Here's a link containing the exercises of Mat Furrey:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

:)

johnyk
07-12-2005, 08:05 AM
thanks couch
I am just wondering if Matt would be p--sed if he sees his stuff on the internet for free?

Chief Fox
07-12-2005, 08:25 AM
thanks couch
I am just wondering if Matt would be p--sed if he sees his stuff on the internet for free?

Where do you think he got it from? :D

IronFist
07-13-2005, 07:41 PM
^ lol

shaolinsoccer
07-25-2005, 02:04 PM
thanks couch

You can go to some of the P2P file sharing sites (Shareaza, Limewire) & download most of his stuff for free.

SpkyTger
08-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Does anyone notice their knees hurting after they do a lot of the hindu squats? Sometimes my knees hurt a lot the day after I workout, and was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

_William_
08-09-2005, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't do them if they hurt. A lot of people have a really uncontrolled drop into the bottom position with this exercise, this is probably not the best thing for your knees. I'd rather do flat-footed jump squats, with a controlled descent.