PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi/Bagua in GA

Xingxing Quan
01-06-2001, 06:35 PM
I've got a friend in ill health in the Gainsevilla, GA area. I'm trying to locate a tai chi teacher for her, but as my resources don't get into that neck of the woods, I was hoping someone local might lend a hand. Thanks ahead of time.

count
01-06-2001, 07:06 PM
I found this listing for Alan Pittman in my listings of Bagua schools.
2810 Dunnington Circle
Chamblee GA
404-270-1642

Hope this helps6

OldFatBaldGuy
01-06-2001, 07:49 PM
Sam Wiley, a regular contributor, is in the Atlanta area I believe.

sean_stonehart
01-06-2001, 11:27 PM
Alan Pittman teaches Gao Xingyi Quan & Gao Bagua Zhang in the Inman park area of east Atlanta. I forgot his website address, but you can do a search for him & probably find it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats.

-- H.L. Mencken

Sam Wiley
01-07-2001, 12:30 AM
Hello, Orangutan. I am in the Altanta area and teach both Yang Style Taijiquan and Chiang Style Baguazhang, as well as qigong.

Feel free to email me at shadowsfollowing@hotmail.com with any questions you may have.

If I may ask, what do you mean by "ill health?" Are you talking about a specific ailment or just general ill health?

"To enter is to be born, to retreat is to die."
-An Old Taijiquan Saying

Xingxing Quan
01-07-2001, 04:08 PM
She's precancerous. Having used taijiquan in my battle against heart disease (which went from the center of my life to a mild annoyance about once a year), I know full well the health benefits of taijiquan and qigong, even though I am adamant that the martial side be the emphasis. That being said, anything that can help her is certainly a plus.

Thanks,
Brian

Sam Wiley
01-08-2001, 12:38 AM
Orangutan,
Cancer is a pretty serious situation, even at the precancerous stage. It's a sign that there is something seriously wrong with the body. What kind of cancer might she develop? Breast cancer? Is it cancer of one of the organs, or an organ system?

If you want, you can e-mail me with the information, as we are starting to get into sort of personal stuff. I have to get more detail before knowing what to recommend or teach.

By the way, Taiji in general heals well, but postures from the form can also be used as qigong. To heal the heart, you would use the posture "Brush Knee Twist Step" to heal the heart. You should do it 3 times on each side as a moving qigong. The posture "Fan Through Back" is the partner posture of this one, and heals the small intestine. It should be held for about 2 or 3 minutes on each side. Doing "Wave Hands Like Clouds" will help to balance out the body's energy as well.

"To enter is to be born, to retreat is to die."
-An Old Taijiquan Saying

Xingxing Quan
01-12-2001, 02:13 PM
Having had heart disease that has gone away since I began my own practice of Taijiquan eleven years ago, I'm aware of it's benefits for health, tho I am also adamanant that the martial side be taught and emphasized as well. That's one of the main reasons I suggested it to her. As a new student to baguazhang, I have also heard remarkable things about its ability to improve health while also developing high levels of martial arts ability. As for my friend, she's looking like leukemia, which is certainly no fun at all.

- Xingxing (The Orangutan)