PDA

View Full Version : Street Smarts

XINDU
07-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Street Smarts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think about it… would you rather strike someone who’s expecting it and is mentally and physically prepared for a counter attack or someone completely unaware of a coming attack? Passive behavior escalates ego and drops guard… if you cannot verbally defuse the situation, you want to at least make your opponent overconfident and nail him from a natural and non-violent stance. This strategy also works well in a multiple attacker situation, catching the first guy by surprise will automatically reduce the numbers by one right off the bat. Not to mention causing a psychological delay in the rest of them (however this is not always true).

So bottom line, the more you know about the psycho dynamics of violence, the better you can handle a situation. Keep your ego under control…

Mortal1
07-07-2005, 02:33 PM
I couldn't agree with you more.

Scott R. Brown
07-08-2005, 02:51 AM
Great advice if all you are concerned with is winning and not ending up in jail or losing everything you own in civil court!!!

As a strategy it is one of the best for winning and staying safe, but in today’s litigious society the winner of the fight goes to jail and gets sued, especially if he is the one to strike first. So unfortunately the smartest strategy is the most foolish action.

Now a days the smartest thing is to lose the fight and then sue the a**hole!!

XINDU
07-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by six!

Scott R. Brown
07-08-2005, 09:52 PM
The platitude “Judged by 12 rather than carried by 6” has limited context. It applies to life or death circumstances and who can argue with those conditions.

However, in simple physical altercations there is much more to lose. Here is a recent example:

A local acquaintance of mine who has been a pro MA fighter, now coaches NHB fighters (one of which was fighting on TV just last weekend) and owns 3 local schools, was just arrested 2 days ago for beating up a 19 year old in the parking lot of a Taco Bell. While I know nothing of the details yet I am sure he would rather not have 12 idiots chosen at random judging his case when the whole episode could have been avoided in the first place. Even if he gets off on the charges it is much easier to be held liable for civil damages than criminal charges. He stands to lose 10’s if not 100’s of thousands of dollars not to mention his reputation and his schools. And for what purpose? To prove it is smarter to throw the first punch? The pride gained from winning the altercation does not outweigh the risk to ones livelihood and the consequences will now be shared by his family and students!

The risks and consequences involved in fighting are greatly increased when you initiate the altercation by throwing the first punch regardless of the tactical efficiency of the action. You still need to convince the DA and the jury you were sufficiently scared and had no other means to defend yourself at your disposal such as running away or calling the police. Only those with nothing to lose financially, no social reputation to protect and no regard for their children, students and other responsibilities would be foolish enough to perform such an action, unless their ego is more important at the moment. I can pretty much assure you that my acquaintance is wishing he had chosen another course of action than the one he did. I know because I have been there myself!!

I do not disagree with the tactical efficiency of a surprise first strike! I argue it is not always the wisest choice!!

Mortal1
07-11-2005, 09:52 AM
You make a good argument. I have been arrested for the same type of situation.
A guy started with me and I punched his face in. He had to get plastic surgery to repair the bone structure in his face. The difference was that he knew me because he was banging my girlfriend. So he decided to be a rat.

If the guy doesn't know you and you leave the seen after you hit him nothing will usually happen to you. I've seen it done a hundred times. You are talking like an arrest is a sure thing.

Also I wouldn't want to get hit and stomped out because I gave up my tactical advantage by not throwing the first punch when I knew there was no other solution.

Think about where you are and if anyone knows you before you punch someone.

Scott R. Brown
07-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi Mortal1,

You make a good point! But there is still a risk!

I have a friend whose brother was cold ****ed coming out of a bar. He hit the ground with his head and has permanent brain damage! He sued the guy of course and won!! But I am sure he would have rather been to jail or be the one sued rather than live with brain damage the rest of his life.

No matter what we choose to do there is always a risk of unpleasant consequences!!

That is why it is best to try to avoid conflict!!

Mortal1
07-12-2005, 09:59 AM
I actually like fighting and conflict. It grew on me over the years. I still avoid it. I guess the rule in my head is never back down to anybody. If it means taking them out first then so be it. If I could walk away knowing it won't provoke the agressor I will. Unfortunatly it always seems to make the mildly ****ed off tough guy smell weakness and come after you harder. Knocking him out then could be a more daunting task.

Walking away sounds good on paper but isn't always that easy.

I do appreciate your position though. I don't totally disagree.

ReignOfTerror
07-12-2005, 05:53 PM
You make a good argument. I have been arrested for the same type of situation.
A guy started with me and I punched his face in. He had to get plastic surgery to repair the bone structure in his face. The difference was that he knew me because he was banging my girlfriend. So he decided to be a rat.

If the guy doesn't know you and you leave the seen after you hit him nothing will usually happen to you. I've seen it done a hundred times. You are talking like an arrest is a sure thing.

Also I wouldn't want to get hit and stomped out because I gave up my tactical advantage by not throwing the first punch when I knew there was no other solution.

Think about where you are and if anyone knows you before you punch someone.

he could still find you or the cops could based on your description or clothes you are wearing. I punched a 17 yr old kid in the cheek bone once becasue he kept staring me down everytime I saw him and one time he actually started talking **** to me and was bold with his friend around adn even called some people on the cell phone mentioning the bench I was sitting which triggered a response in me. Problem is I didnt even make him fall, all he did was stumble back a few feet. I dont know if it was jsut I hadnt had alot of trianing at the time, am weak, him being really tough or what. But I also saw a bouncer hit a guy and the guy didnt even fall either or even stumble back. And he kept following me and trying to call the cops, I coudlnt run away either casue I had to carry some bags with me.

Scott R. Brown
07-13-2005, 02:09 AM
Hi Mortal1,

I certainly understand the attraction to fighting! Men like challenges and fighting is an expression of male energy. I am merely attempting to address the consequences. We all have our own values and personal limits that affect our level of tolerance to the aggressive behavior of others. If a bully is allowed to continue bullying then bullying continues.

I have been fortunate to live in relatively safe areas most of my life. I don’t have to worry about gangs in the local parks or accidentally wandering into the wrong part of town and having to fight my way out like many who live in large cities. Neither do I frequent bars or other areas where aggressive behavior by others is likely. However, I have my share of serious injuries due to aggressive behavior. I have been very lucky in that none of them have caused permanent problems for me, YET!!! Here is the list of my more serious injuries:

1) Three concussions: one I was knocked out. One concussion can cause brain damage! I consider myself lucky I have no noticeable permanent loss of mental function.
2) Dislocated hip. I am lucky I can walk and so far have no signs of osteoarthritis.
3) During one concussion I nearly broke my neck. I am lucky I can do anything!!!
4) Had my front teeth kicked so hard I couldn’t feel them for 15 mins. I am lucky I have front teeth!!
5) Kicked in the eye so hard I thought I lost it! I am lucky I have an eye!! I still have a scar underneath it.
6) Kicked or punched in the solar plexus numerous times!
7) Kicked in the testicles so many times I am lucky I can have kids!!!

All of these injuries are from training, not fights!! I didn’t include any of my non-serious injuries.

Of course when I was younger I didn’t care about the injuries or the riskiness of my actions. That is why I am not foolish enough to think anyone would necessarily listen to me just because I am urging caution. LOL!!! I didn’t listen either.

I am merely trying to bring some balance to the discussion. No one ever suffered from avoiding conflict. There are times when backing down or avoidance is not practical or possible to be sure. In these situations I doubt anyone could make a reasonable argument for not fighting to win! However, a serious injury or legal action can affect you for years or life! Embarrassment is temporary!!

Hi ROT,

I knew a guy who was clean ****ed from behind with a baseball bat and he completely trashed the guy that hit him. Individuals on Meth. feel no pain, and frequently take serious beatings without giving up! Many who lose will go get some friends and try a nice drive-by, shooting anyone in the way!!
__________________________________________________ ___________________

Avoidance does not have to send the signal of weakness to predatory people! Superior strength is demonstrated when internal calm and a centered attitude is maintained.

Predators seek the weak, not the strong. Challenging the strong endangers their status and safety because of the inherent risk of injury and of losing face! Running from a predator encourages pursuit. Avoidance is not the same thing as running away! Simply do not contend verbally or by posturing, but maintain a calm center (emotional state) while projecting a confident non-threatening presence. This sends the signal that you are not an imminent threat, but could be if necessary! While it is possible this behavior will not always dissuade fools or the mentally deficient it does scare most people because they cannot understand why you appear unaffected. They figure you must know something they don’t that allows you to have no fear. Since they don’t know what that “something” is, it causes fear!! Fear of the unknown is worse than fear of the known. The unknown allows our imaginations to make up what cannot be seen and this is worse than knowing the threat. While you are in a state of calm, their unrest increases. But at the same time, most of the time, they will no longer see you as an imminent threat. It is aggressive posturing and verbal challenges that increases the likelihood of an altercation, not calm indifference.

It is fear that motivates the wolves of society; they fein superior confidence to cover their inherent insecurity! Those who seek to dominate others are doing so from a position of weakness. They seek to dominate because they fear being dominated others. They live their lives in constant fear. Most or all have been traumatized by abuse as children and it is this child inside of them that is afraid!! They deal with this fear by dominating others before others can dominate them. They see this as protecting themselves from being hurt! (All this occurs subconsciously of course!) By taking away their immediate fear of being dominated, but maintaining a latent “threat if provoked" attitude, one may ameliorate the aggressor’s fears allowing them to find a way to retreat in a manner that allows them to save face. Since a confident, secure individual has no need to dominate another; this is relatively easy to allow to occur.

ReignOfTerror
07-13-2005, 02:24 AM
well I was oplanning on running in case they tried to get the cops on me and blame the whole incident on me which they were threatening to do with his friend as witness, even though they started it. But you say not to posture, but why? Doesnt posturing show you arent afraid of them, assuming they posture or look threatening toward you first (mad dogging for instance)? Another thing is often when I felt depressed, had low motivation/testostorone, felt bad in that day, etc. is when predators or bullies bothered me the most. Its like they are wolves that smell blood (weakness) in a person, and attack.

Scott R. Brown
07-13-2005, 02:55 AM
Hi ROT,

You make a good point!! I didn’t mean to imply never to posture. Certainly there are times when posturing is effective. Posturing after all is really an attempt to avoid confrontation and/or maintain face. So it was not my intention to imply never to utilize posturing. When and if to use calm indifference and when to use posturing and when to fight and when to run and when to call the police should really be determined on a case by case basis.

I am not intending to give absolutes because every circumstance is unique. Sometimes posturing escalates the situation. So it is possible to go from posturing to calm indifference to fighting all within the same circumstance. What to do and when takes practice, awareness, self-control, experience and also a bit of intuitive insight.

I didn’t mean to imply any absolute!

Scott R. Brown
07-13-2005, 03:26 AM
Hi ROT continued,

Calm indifference is intended to demonstrate strength by not “needing” to posture. Posturing can send the message of the need to maintain face which is actually a weakness. A totally secure person doesn’t care how others view him and is thus unconcerned with saving face. Most individuals are able to perceive this confidence when another is projecting calm indifference. Calm indifference implies emotional balance and confidence. Emotional superiority is frequently translated as physical superiority by predators. Of course it helps if you are truly confident and really feel you have no need to prove anything. If not some may sense your façade, but some will not so it can still be a tactically sound behavior.

Posturing is inherent in men. It is instinctual and its purpose is to avoid altercations, but it may also increase the likelihood of an altercation. It depends upon the balance between the need to project dominance or save face and the need to maintain safety. It is uncertainty that most commonly causes individuals to back down. That is uncertainty of the outcome! The more certain an aggressor is he will win the more likely an altercation will ensue. The idea then is to instill doubt into his mind as to the outcome. This is what causes safety and saving face to become more desirable than fighting! If too much face is to be lost by backing down then an individual may feel they NEED to fight in order to not appear weak in front of his peers or girlfriend. So it may be necessary to assist the other person in saving face. Posturing implies your attempt to dominate him and many will not back down because it leads to a loss of face. So by not posturing you allow the person a graceful way to retreat without actually appearing to retreat. He will leave telling his friends how lucky you were to get off so easily and no one gets hurt, goes to the hospital or gets arrested.

ReignOfTerror
07-13-2005, 03:33 AM
very interesting, I havent yet read everything you wrote but there was an article on agressive attackers or predators in the latest black belt magazine, where this one bar fighter is classified as generally a few times stronger than his victims and intimidates them before sucker punching them. Also if you watch mtv, and watched the real world paris and the latest challenge this guy CT always postures and intimidates other people alot smaller or weaker than him. There were also similar bullying instances in the ultimate fighter show worth discussing. I think the best idea when someone starts walkign close to you and posturing is to grab their wrists or arms and hold thems till preventing them from being able to hit you and talk to them calming them down. here is also a quote I found from another forum:
"I was picked on a lot when I was a kid because I was so small, and no I wasn't a jerk.

Once in grade school a guy was beating me up simply because I just happened to be standing there, and he was bored. He liked to beat kids up for kicks.

I put up my fist to block the blow, and accidentally broke his cheap POS necklace. He got so mad that he lifted me over his shoulders and body slammed me on a wooden gym floor about six times. Luckily no bones were broken.

Nothing was ever done to him because he was the best athlete on the football and basketball teams.

I did get a measure of revenge in an indirect way though. He thought that he could beat my brother up because he beat me up. My brother wasn't as small as I was, and he beat the bully's a*s.

Of course that same brother beat me up much more regularly than the beatings I got at school. I've got scars over a few parts of my body as proof."

ReignOfTerror
07-13-2005, 03:45 AM
here is a question. How do you become a totally secure person? Lets say some guy is trying to stare you down and you caught his gaze twice and quickly turned away. how do you leave without feeling punked? Or for instance lets say you are playing a basketball game with dudes you never met before and one of them starts trash talking or another one on your team starts ordering you around and pushing you a bit to go there do that, what do you do?

also what is your opinion of verbal attacks instead of posturing to show your strengh?

Scott R. Brown
07-13-2005, 03:53 AM
Hi ROT,

Each circumstance is unique but all will follow some sort of pattern. It is important to learn to recognize the patterns. This allows us to manipulate or guide the situation.

You are asking great questions unfortunately I don't have the time to answer them now, but i will try to make the time to respond in depth later today or tomorrow.

The path to feeling secure about ourselves takes time and a lot of explanation. i am not certain how indepth you are prepared to go, and perhaps either personal emails or another thread addressing that specifically would be more appropriate.

Mortal1
07-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Scott

Great posts. Its nice to see someone argue his point without being a dikhead. Good thread. What style do you train?

Scott R. Brown
07-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Hi Mortal1,

I have been training for over 30 years! My first system and the one I trained in until I received a blackbelt is an American eclectic style based upon: Shaolin, Kajukenbo, Judo and Boxing. I received my blackbelt 26 yrs. ago after a 7 ˝ hr. physical test (wherein I lost 15 lbs), a 50 page written essay test and an oral exam. I was immediately awarded a 3rd degree belt. I have not promoted since then as I have disassociated myself from the system for philosophical reasons. I do not as a habit mention the style by name as I am not willing to give them free publicity. The style’s quality has deteriorated, the founder’s martial arts training history is dubious, and the style has acquired cult like characteristics. The leaders have appointed themselves masters and grandmasters like many McDojo operators have done. Since I was a participant and core member from the beginning I have serious issues with these developments and refrain from participating or supporting their self-aggrandizing behavior.

In the past 26 yrs. I have supplemented my knowledge and experience by training in Tai Chi, White Crane, Aikido (including Jo-Jutsu and Ken-Jutus), Aiki-jutsu, & Ju-jutsu. I have studied Tao, Zen and yoga for over 30 years as well.

I no longer train in a fixed system, but I hesitate to say it have created my own. I tend to follow my nature in that I train in what interests me and avoid what doesn’t interest me. I do not teach other than my boys and I continue to learn from other systems as my time and inclination allows. My main intention for the last 10-15 years has been to understand the core principles of psychology, self-defense movement, strategy and tactics. My belief is that, if we understand the roots or core principles of body function and self-defensive movement we understand all things that spring from them. The result is I have choked out grapplers without ever receiving formal grappling training. I am not intending to flaunt my skill as choking out one or two practitioners means nothing in the big picture. My point is I tested my theory of understanding core principles and I have found them to be easily adaptable to practical circumstances. That is to say it is now easy for me to adapt what I know to changing circumstances as they present themselves.

I also study the functions of the mind, human psychology and the psychology of groups. This is where my current comments on the psychology of posturing and calm indifference originate from. I gained a great deal of psychological insight while I worked for 12 years in the California Dept. of Corrections. Think of working on a yard of approximately 1,200 – 2,000 inmates of all races, body sizes, from weaklings to monsters, intelligence levels, cultural backgrounds, aggressiveness levels, and criminal history. Now consider the dilemma of getting them to do what you want or need them to do without inflaming their male ego. You must find a way to motivate them to do what you need them to do while minimizing their desire “to stick it to the man”. You must learn to sublimate your own ego under these circumstances and be creative and fast thinking. Sometimes you must calm anger before it spreads, divert attention, or fix a problem created by other inmates or staff to prevent chaos from erupting. The posturing of children at the park, at school or at the beach is nothing compared to the real posturing of killers, rapists and drug dealers, LOL!!!!

These are the schools of life where I have gained the most insight and knowledge. I don’t claim to know everything, but I am always trying to further my knowledge and experience.

I bet you didn’t expect such a long answer, LOL!!! But that is my nature. Each question that arises gives me an opportunity to learn by investigating my experiences from new and challenging angles. Reading the thoughts and experiences of individuals like yourself, Ray Pina and yes, even ROT and others are fascinating to me. It allows me to learn and gain more insight! Thank you for sharing your unique ideas and perspectives!

ReignOfTerror
07-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Here is a quote from the movie Kalifornia with brad Pitt:

"Erly lived in the moment. He did whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. I don't know if I was fascinated or frightened by it. Probably both"

Anyone know someone like this?

Scott R. Brown
07-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Hi ROT,

It is impossible to give one fixed solution to a problem. It is like in a MA class when a student asks, “If someone does this……! What should I do?” Each circumstance has unique characteristics that must be adapted too! It is better to understand general principles and then learn to apply them to specific circumstances through experience!

Sometimes posturing is appropriate, sometimes calm indifference is appropriate and sometimes fighting is appropriate. It depends upon the circumstances and what you are attempting to accomplish.

In the circumstances you have mentioned, what one does depends upon all kinds of variables. For me, the guy who likes to take out people in the bar with sucker punches….I would just avoid that bar! But if it was impossible then there are all kinds of ways to take care of someone like that. I would consider a number of things based upon my assessment of his size, ability, endurance, etc… So the first thing to do, if one has time, is to assess the enemy’s capabilities. Next is to assess your own. Decide what you can do and what you can’t do. Determine if you need help and then decide who you want to enlist. Do you want to take him on in the bar? In the parking lot? Alone? With help? With fists? With a baseball bat? Think about the consequences of whatever act you decide upon! Personally I think I would take him out with a sucker punch just like he does everyone else. And then every time I see him, do it again!! But then maybe he comes back with friend or a gun! So these are things to consider! That is why finding another bar is the best thing to do! Also calling the police on the guy will work too! It is the most effective and safest under most circumstances because it protects everyone!

If someone is eyeballing you, the same thing applies. What do you want to accomplish? If you want to show off then you can eyeball him back. If you are comfortable with yourself and don’t need to prove yourself, ignore him! No one can disrespect you no matter what they do or say if you have confidence in yourself! It is what you have inside that matters and no one can take it away from you, but you can relinquish it to others! It matters little if someone is posturing, eyeballing or mouthing off! It is only offensive if you think it is offensive! It is only disrespectful if you think it is disrespectful! If you get upset than you have relinquished responsibility for your own frame of mind. You have been manipulated by another and you allowed it to happen!!

Eyeballing and mouthing off is nothing more that another method of posturing. It is an attempt to exert dominance. If someone is attempting to dominate you that means they perceive you as a threat to them and thus you are already seen as a superior in their eyes and that intimidates them. That is why they feel the need to bring you down with posturing, eyeballing or mouthing off. If you react you are playing into their game. If you possess calm indifference they see they cannot ruffle you and it can frustrate them. But you will not be giving them what they want. You cannot be defeated if you do not contend! It is like grasping water. What they seek, just slips through their fingers!

Here is a story!

I worked with a man in the prison system. The prison system is full of macho, immature guys, both staff and inmates. This staff member kept mouthing off to me, subtly insulting me in front of other staff. I would just smile and ignore his comments and for weeks or months I never responded. People with a modicum of maturity will eventually give up when they see you won't take their bait, but this guy was not that mature.

One day he made a comment to me in front of 3 or 4 other staff members. His intention was to embarrass me and as I have said, to establish dominance. It had been impossible for him to do because I would not contend with him. So he thought he could get me with a very good insult. But I had a comeback because I prepared ahead for the eventuality! So, he made his comment and I said my comeback and he was put in his place in front of everybody!! He was completely embarrassed!! I have to hand it too him!! He took it well and like a man!! He laughed and said to me, “WOW!!! That was a good one!!” I smiled and I replied, “Just because I DON”T play, doesn’t mean I CAN”T play!!” And of course he was fine ever since.

Sometimes bullies won't leave you alone until you put them in their place. But I usually like to give them a chance by not playing their game!! If they persist then they get what they asked for!!!

In the basketball game I would just leave, I have nothing to prove and if they don’t like it or mock me I would remember never to play ball with those guys again!! You can only be embarrassed it you care what jerks think! Be your own person and don’t allow the opinions of jerks to affect you! Pers Anthony said, “The opinions of worthless people are worthless!!!” I add to that, “I would rather have no friends than the wrong friends!!” Life is rough enough without surrounding yourself with friends that make it rougher! If you depend upon others to validate your own sense of self-worth than you are controlled by them and cannot be you own person! You are a slave to their opinions and can be manipulated easily to do things that are not in your best interest just to gain the praises of those who don’t really care about you to begin with!

Mortal1
07-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Great posts Scott. You must be something to know in person.

Keep em coming!

Rokto_Obotar
07-20-2005, 06:43 PM
I have been in numerous fights before I never threw the first punch. But there is nothing illegal about blocking it. My first fight Id say 7 years after starting martial arts. (back round: i lived in a good neighbor hood but I went to a Sh*t hole school). Some tough guy walks up to me on the 3rd day of school pushes me and says "that my b*tch a$$ is to white and to get the F*ck out of his school". I started to walk away he went behind me got me in a choke hold I fliped him and told him to stay the hell away from me or next time it would be worse. Now he left me alone always avoided me, but I shouldnt have threatened him because if he was smart he could of gone to the princible or the cops luckily he didnt. So guys if its self deffense its legal just make sure you dont kill the guy, dont threaten him, try to talk him out of it but make sure you arent the one who starts it (try to get a witness). If you feel like fighting im sure your sensei's and sifu's will put together sparring matches at least once a week mine does. anyways good luck with your decisions guys. I feel the urge all the time to fight punks at my school who think they're tough. Dont ever say your a black belt in this or you have studdied under this master for your lifes durration. It always starts the other guy on a power trip.

ReignOfTerror Here is a quote from the movie Kalifornia with brad Pitt:

"Erly lived in the moment. He did whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. I don't know if I was fascinated or frightened by it. Probably both"

Anyone know someone like this?

Every person I have fought. I was never intimidated I could always tell what they were like and what they were going to do. Usualy people who talk **** have a black belt in KARATE not our martial arts that take time and training discipline. The little karate school when mommys little boy gets beat up by the bully. These kids think there tough and go flaunting there useless black belt. if a person comes up to you says F*ck you and pushes you bragin about how they could kick your ass keep your cool and ask them to leave you alone. They wont instead they will come at you with a strong punch when you are distracted. If you guys know Martial arts block it and I find getting him in a arm lock or any kind of hold and telling him to leave you alone one more time, it will work. If it dosent and he procedes on use self deffense but dont kill him ;). Good luck with your decision CHECK OUT MY OTHER POSTS I NEED A CMA SCHOOL IN CALIFORNIA :)!!!!!

northernArts
08-01-2005, 01:07 PM
I think the best thing is for everyone on this thread to take a long look at this page on Marc Macyoung's site (http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/streetfighting.html). I recommend his books - particularly Taking It to the Street (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/158160050X/qid=1122926486/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-3010949-3062352?v=glance&s=books) which addresses some issues raised here. I believe Marc Macyoung is still the most important voice in SD.

I absolutely disagree with the idea that you should posture aggressively toward tough guys. I think that just invites problems. I agree that avoiding fights is ALWAYS the best solution. I personally avoid the type of places where violence is likely to happen - I also have always lived in nice areas so I have it easy. I have used Marc Macyoung's 'five stages of violent crime' model to avoid being mugged. Bottom line - I may not live where you live but I think anyone would benefit from listening to Marc Macyoung (http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com) on these topics.

Samurai Jack
08-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Nice links nothernArts. I'm a big fan of Marc MacYoung too. Taking it to the Streets is a truly amazing book, that I cannot recommend highly enough. I'm posting Marc's website link in our articles archive, so we'll always be able to find it. There're alot of gems there.

northernArts
08-02-2005, 03:51 AM
Nice links nothernArts. I'm a big fan of Marc MacYoung too. Taking it to the Streets is a truly amazing book, that I cannot recommend highly enough. I'm posting Marc's website link in our articles archive, so we'll always be able to find it. There're alot of gems there.

:) It's always good to meet another person who appreciates his work.
Marc Macyoung has two new books coming out Oct 1 on Lyons Press(He's not on Paladin Press anymore). The first title is intended to be the offensive sequel to Taking It to the Street as that book focused more on effective defense.

Secrets of Effective Offense : Survival Strategies for Self-Defense, Martial Arts, and Law Enforcement (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592283691/qid=1122979125/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/103-4176962-8039829?v=glance&s=books)
Becoming a Complete Martial Artist : Error Detection in Self-Defense and the Martial Arts (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592283705/qid=1122979160/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-4176962-8039829?v=glance&s=books)