PDA

View Full Version : Blind folded Chi Sao

stonecrusher69
07-07-2005, 05:53 PM
I like to ask the W.C. community what they think about Blind Folded Chi sao VS the normal Chi Sao.The advantages and the disadvantage of both.I find there to be many advantages ,but one problem I find is when loss of contact.What do you do then? how can you use sensitivity,and how do regain control?Do you feel one is superior to the other?

curtis
07-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Hello

I like blindfofded chi sao a lot. it teaches to feel and not rely on your sense of sight.
Your question about the loss of contact. can be easily fixed in one or two different ways.
First off if you lose contact you are proberly already being hit. but if not (I assume you didn't lose total lose of contact.) using the arm in contact you still can feel what your opponent is doing, Try to close down the perimeters,so you dont get hit.
A nother way is to fully disengage with your partner. and start over again.

Mind set in this kind of drill is important. (IMHO) I don't try to beat anyone, I tend to feel, and think of only neutralizing my opponent ability to hit me. By Feeling what he/she is doing you can stop there movements.(attacks) if your lines are closed down then you can feel the holes in there defenses as well.But remember the goal is to heighten you sense of touch,(Or maintain contact/feel) not attacking. FEELING or to Feel what is happening, is the most important thing in blindfolded chi sao.

Remember its a drill (game) there must be rules. since the goal is to learn. after contact has been lost. you must start over again, in a neutral starting possession.

Remember Chi Soa is not Combat, it is more a chess match. Skill is important, but the goal is to learn, Not win.

That's how I see it. its just my 2 cents.
You can take it or leave it!

Liddel
07-07-2005, 07:12 PM
I find both have alot of advantages for training sensitivity, I personally dont put as much emphasis on blindfold Chi Sao as much as some other people i know.

They go a bit OTT saying they the only way to prove you have good VT is through blindfold chi sao....LOL where as i know this doesnt 'garantee' a high level of skill cause you could have a useless partner etc etc IMO, but its a step in the right direction. Real fighting is the only way to test VT IMO.

I think on one side of the coin it can be easier blindfolded than not because you dont over react to a visual que/move, because you cant see.
Being blindfolded does highten your awareness of feeling/sensitivity.

However through my own experience of doing Chi Sao blindfolded, ive come to cheat my opponent through strategy, being i move one hand for them to react, and make an opening to catch the body with the other hand. (which is the real action).

"one problem I find is when loss of contact.What do you do then? "

You mean if your both blindfold or just one of you ??? ...In my mind there are only a few options i use
- hands are out in front guarding. Wusau waiting moving all the time in a 'small' area in front of me hoping to gain the touch of an incomming action. You can usually sence it comming, by hearing it or feeling the air. Human sence is crazy ! or
- I punch and or kick, a blocked punch regains chi sao again as the opponent has to block/touch your attack. or
- retreat while punching, putting hands out, trying to again force a reaction for regaining the touch so you can find your way. Like Man Sao in a way.

They both have a different, more or less practical purpose so you shouldnt say one is better than the other. They are tools. But for aguments sake (because you ask) Normal Chi Sao is better....because you can see ! :)

One disadvantage of blindfold chi sao ive seen in younger students at my school and in vids from others is...the blindfolded practitioner looks away from the opponent even when touching hands, (which means he knows where the opponent is) looking away at an angle is a bad habbit to get into, we should be face to face.

We dont see it as a real fighting situation so its not hard out, but this is how we train every now and then to improve skill.

stonecrusher69
07-07-2005, 08:59 PM
thx for the info.When i mentioned (in my post)about loss of contact.What I was thinking was a situation lets say your rolling and you make a move to see how your opponent reacts.He over re-acts and flings one of your hands away now you dont know where his hand is.I used to just hit him upon loss of contact but you can also get hit at the same time.The idea of just starting over is fine.I was thinking one good thing about Blind folded chi sao is you really can't cheat .you really have to rely on your sensitivity.

Sam
07-08-2005, 04:21 AM
Hello Mike,
James Cama Sifu has demonstrated blind folded Chi Sao for decades. Sifu is able to deal with hands with or without contact. He says that if your bridges/ feeling arms are correct then contact will be made and control gained. Cama Sifu has an uncanny sense and counters before the opponent completes his move. http://www.futsaoyongchunkuen.com/

stonecrusher69
07-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Hello Sam,

Thanks for your post.Tell Cama Sifu I said hello.