PDA

View Full Version : Anyone train here

ReignOfTerror
07-07-2005, 09:35 PM
the wooden dummies/equipment looks like it came right out of the 36 chambers:

http://www.syracusekungfu.com/holiday/model/index.html

WuMan
07-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Wouldn't be surprising, the people that are putting the set together are students of Lau Ga Leung, the one who designed those sets for the Shaw Bros. movies.

I wish I had the money to go train there. But I'm starting school in 2 months and I just got a car =(

ReignOfTerror
07-07-2005, 09:47 PM
If there were shaolin wooden men or robots it would be sweet.

http://www.syracusekungfu.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=42

David Jamieson
07-08-2005, 05:54 AM
people make a lot of money off of marks like you guys with movie sets to train in like this.

why after two days of hurting yourself unneccessarily, you will be ready for all sorts of posing and wearing saffron robes! :rolleyes:

yet another joke in the ever enlargening big bag of kungfu jokes. :(

Lama Pai Sifu
07-08-2005, 07:35 AM
Wait a minute,....these are little models, right? There is not school..no contact info or anything else right? Just a bunch of straws and ice cream sticks. Cool concept.

Anthony
07-08-2005, 09:04 AM
"the wooden dummies/equipment looks like it came right out of the 36 chambers:"

He must be teaching "rooftop kung-fu."

"yet another joke in the ever enlargening big bag of kungfu jokes"

Pretty much. And, notice, he doesn't give a source for the "history" on the website. "Wooden Dummy Hall"....give me a break. Probably taken right out of a chinese fictional novel written at the turn of the century or something. Plenty of these novels exist in which shaolin monks (and their exploits) were common features. Unfortunately, these novels became the source for kung-fu "history" over the years.

Also, the Southern Shaolin Temple never existed. It has been dismissed by historians a long time ago (around the 60's in America in articles by Chinese historians that I have seen). Apparently writers around the turn of the century in China weren't sure of where the (northern) temple was so they placed it in the south (fukien). For (southern) chinese nationalistic reasons. Too much to get into here.

MasterKiller
07-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Also, the Southern Shaolin Temple never existed. It has been dismissed by historians a long time ago (around the 60's in America in articles by Chinese historians that I have seen). Apparently writers around the turn of the century in China weren't sure of where the (northern) temple was so they placed it in the south (fukien). For (southern) chinese nationalistic reasons. Too much to get into here.

Not true. There is archeological evidence that may suggest there were several smaller Southern temples. This has been discussed a lot in the Shaolin forum.

David Jamieson
07-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Not true. There is archeological evidence that may suggest there were several smaller Southern temples. This has been discussed a lot in the Shaolin forum.

There is archaelogical evidence that indicates there were temples across china in all regions. However, under Chairman Mao, most temples in China were laid to waste, new and old, buddhist, taoist or otherwise. Some may or may not have contained relics from history.

The biggest support for the southern shaolin temple in Fujian is the fact that the prc is making so much $ from the rubes who shell out for trips to shaolin they figured hey, why not perpetuate the southern temple as well.

While temples may have been used as insurgent enclaves during the opium wars, the boxer rebellion and many other events over the 300 year period of Qing rule and indeed, even shaolin monks may have taught kungfu in these other temples, there is to date no hard archaeological definitive evidence that a southern shaolin temple proper ever existed and indeed serious historians gave it a wash as long ago as following the CR in 76.

The northern temple in Henan is the one and only Shaolin Temple as much as a great many other folks with a plethora of agendas would like their kungfu to have come directly from a southern shaolin temple or even a sister temple or some such other thing. For that matter, it is just as nice to say "all kungfu comes from shaolin" while in reality that is poppy**** and again, it is not that big of a stretch to figure that out.

anyhoo, just sayin.

ReignOfTerror
07-08-2005, 12:35 PM
"the wooden dummies/equipment looks like it came right out of the 36 chambers:"

He must be teaching "rooftop kung-fu."

"yet another joke in the ever enlargening big bag of kungfu jokes"

Pretty much. And, notice, he doesn't give a source for the "history" on the website. "Wooden Dummy Hall"....give me a break. Probably taken right out of a chinese fictional novel written at the turn of the century or something. Plenty of these novels exist in which shaolin monks (and their exploits) were common features. Unfortunately, these novels became the source for kung-fu "history" over the years.

http://www.syracusekungfu.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=42

and actually I read their not done building this set yet.

norther practitioner
07-08-2005, 08:42 PM
more gung fu in cny, cool...

my old sifu is in Syracuse... never did well there though.

I wonder if Mike whatever knows this dude.