PDA

View Full Version : Paying the Rent

Water Dragon
04-20-2001, 06:48 PM
A little idiom from one of my teachers on yielding.

"If they want to move in, let them. But charge them some rent, don't let 'em move in for free."

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

wujidude
04-22-2001, 07:35 PM
Rent measured partly in terms of peng jin . . .

Water Dragon
04-22-2001, 07:51 PM
Yup, or any other counter attack. You can yield, let them "move in" but don't give them a free place to live. Make 'em pay

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

count
04-22-2001, 07:52 PM
I love that. My teacher is always saying, "if you want to make an expensive move like that you must have alot of chi in the bank". I am sure I can use your idiom in class.
:D

joedoe
04-23-2001, 04:03 AM
"When they attack, take it, take it, take it, then give it back to them with interest".

I like that one :)

You have no chance to survive - make your time.

Water Dragon
04-23-2001, 04:51 AM
When fighting, sometimes you have to take the jab so you can follow them in with a power shot. It's called "trading nickles for dimes"

WongFeHung
04-23-2001, 07:03 AM
"be a good host-when they enter, help them in, when they go, follow them home."
another which I think is kewl-and funny,"when they move in, you move in. When they move out, you move in!"

Kevin Wallbridge
04-23-2001, 08:14 AM
"Keep your friends close... keep your enemies closer."

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai