PDA

View Full Version : need help/info on praying mantis

rlmartin
07-08-2005, 07:05 AM
i am moving to a new town and i have to find a new school. there is a praying mantis school there but i know nothing about it. is praying mantis a good art. what can i expect.

Three Harmonies
07-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Too broad of a question. Majority of it depends on the teacher to be honest. What school is it do you know? KNow who the teacher is?

Jake :cool:

mantis108
07-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I agreed with Three Harmonies that it's too broad a question. We don't even know if you are in North America or other places. It's hard to recommend anyone without the specific such as where you are at? why you want to do martial art and specifically Mantis Kung Fu? what you is your expectations? What kind of scheduel you have? Who did you train with before, etc...

One place to start looking for a mantis teachings and instructors would be the Mantis Quarterly (http://www.mantisquarterly.com/forum/index.php?)

I believe Three Harmonies has a website also. Sorry, I fogot the url.

I also have some info concerning my style Chiu Chuk Kai Tai Chi Praying Mantis (CCK TCPM) on my website (link provided with my signature below)

So please take you time a visit these sites. If you have further questions, please feel free to post it here so others can give you their thoughts.

Regards

Mantis108

mantid1
07-08-2005, 11:21 AM
The first thing you need to find out is where the instructor learned and where does the information come from? Can He/She Prove that they have trained with this person other than in seminars? There are many people out there who have taken some seminars with well known masters and they automantically become a closed door student.

Are they promising a "BlackBelt " in so many years or for so much money? If they are this is probably not a traditional mantis school. There are some traditional schools out there doing the colored belt thing, but just beware. I have never seen any pics of the old mantis mantis masters when they got their first yellow belt.

Ask how much emphasis is put on basics. Are they just trying to sell you flashy stuff. Most credible instructors focus on basic, basics, basics.

Just remember it would be better to go t a good choy li fut school than a bad school that say they teach mantis.

Three Harmonies
07-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Mantid1
You mean you learned somewhere other than seminars?????? I got a black belt after paying only $10,000 US. I was told I was given a discount because I was nice :rolleyes:

JK
JAKE :cool:

mantid1
07-08-2005, 04:08 PM
You must be nice, you were supposed to pay $10,001.

You got the preferred discount

yu shan
07-08-2005, 07:38 PM
As vague as this thread is, are you surprised?